PDA

View Full Version : Removing TOD wheel speed sensors

IsuzuJay
08/04/2013, 11:27 PM
I just got this Vehicross, and it's giving me TOD codes 13, 14, and 24. I went through the troubleshooting steps in the manual and I've narrowed it down to a wheel speed sensor.

So... how do I remove it? I removed the bolt and I could barely move the sensor. I saw in one post that it's tight and may need to be rotated back and forth to get it out, but I couldn't move it more than about 3 degrees. Is there some trick to getting it out?

I also had trouble getting to the connector on the top of the transfer case. Is there some way to move it to get access to it so I can replace the speed sensor pins if I ever get the sensor out?

Or should I just drop the transfer case to get better access to everything. It doesn't look too difficult, but if I don't have to, I'd rather not remove it.

Thanks.

hughesdt
08/05/2013, 10:45 AM
I haven't had to remove the wheel sensors. So I can't be much help there. Although I have heard that removing them will also destroy them. And they are very expensive to replace.

I also believe that separating the transfer case from the transmission is a great deal of trouble. One of the bolts is very difficult to get to and the shaft splines fit very tightly making it difficult to separate. I did separate mine and it was a lot of work. I also tore the rubber boot the shifter goes up through, it is supposed to stay on the VX body.

You can however remove the bolts from the cross member that mount it to the frame and lower the transfer case and transmission to access the top of the transfer case.

Good luck.

newthings
08/05/2013, 04:10 PM
Temp and time fuse the plastic sensor body to the hub casting. Removal is destructive. I ordered up a set of used sensors from the auto wrecker online and they shipped 4 complete hubs with sensors, and they ate the big shipping cost. The shop ruined 3 in the removal process. The front and rears have different length wire leads. The right and left have different mounting brackets, but can be changed with a little work. Isuzu did a bad design and the part cost is very high. Other trooper models use the same sensors, if you want to hunt for used. See my old post on the subject.
Good luck, Roy

VX KAT
08/06/2013, 05:33 PM
yeah, one of mine got destroyed when my mechanic tried to remove it when replacing a CV boot. New ones are close to $450 - $500 EACH. I got a used one from a Trooper for $85 shipped.

Many people have had these sensors destroyed by their mechanics (or themselves)

VXorado
08/06/2013, 05:42 PM
Could someone explain this...

I destroyed both rear sensors when swapping diffs and have no problems with TOD. How does the TOD determine wheel slip/spin if it doesn't need the signal from the ABS speed sensors?

Triathlete
08/06/2013, 07:50 PM
When I did my rear axle seals my sensors slid right out smooth as butter! Gotta love a VX that has spent its entire life in the dry desert! ;)

Triathlete
08/06/2013, 07:52 PM
Could someone explain this...

I destroyed both rear sensors when swapping diffs and have no problems with TOD. How does the TOD determine wheel slip/spin if it doesn't need the signal from the ABS speed sensors?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the tod uses sensors in the transfer casr to detect if the rear is slipping which then sends more power to the front wheels.

IsuzuJay
08/06/2013, 09:17 PM
It looks like you guys are talking about the sensors for ABS. I'm asking about the 2 sensors in the transfer case. Sorry for the confusion.

So, how do I get the sensors out of the transfer case? Are those destroyed by removing them?

Thanks.

newthings
08/06/2013, 09:41 PM
Never mind.
Roy