PDA

View Full Version : cv boot clamps

evillecutter
09/12/2013, 08:59 AM
has anyone ever used anything different than the metal cv boot clamps? i changed my front driver's side cv boots over the weekend (total pain in the axle) and i hate the metal clamps - could i just use a giant hose clamp or a big ziptie in the future?

tom4bren
09/12/2013, 09:16 AM
Yup. been using zip ties for several years now.

Tip: don't use the Uber Heavy Duty ones. The smaller ones actually work mo' betta since they'll settle into the groove. I use 2 & try to get the adjustments set so that they are close to opposite on the axle (just to make sure that that little bit of weight doesn't throw it out of balance - those things are spinning at 2000+ rpm at highway speed).

Don't use hose clamp. Having that large adjustment screw could cause vibration.

evillecutter
09/12/2013, 09:56 AM
the boots spin? i thought they stayed still while the axle spins inside of them? the one that gave me the most trouble was the green cup side - no hose clamp on that side either?

and thanks tom

MSHardeman
09/12/2013, 10:31 AM
Nope, boots spin with the axles. I've used zip ties too in a pinch and they actually seem to work better than the metal bands that the shops have put on there.

evillecutter
09/12/2013, 11:11 AM
the green cup spins too? i know i probably sound stupid asking but ive never been able to be under there while driving

tom4bren
09/12/2013, 11:12 AM
Yup. Zip ties on both ends of all 4 boots.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12131/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12132/ppuser/2699

You can see in the first pic that the Dorman (gray) boot still had the HD zip tie. When that boot was replaced, it got the smaller zip tie instead.

In the second pic, there's a combination of HD & regular zip ties (I don't know why).

evillecutter
09/12/2013, 11:12 AM
lol i got that same white boot

but i still dont understand - it doesnt look like the green cup can spin - and if it cannot spin the rest cannot spin or else it would rip the boot off...

i believe you im just trying to make sense of it

tom4bren
09/12/2013, 11:17 AM
the green cup spins too? i know i probably sound stupid asking but ive never been able to be under there while driving

Yup, green cup is welded to the shaft.

Everything you can touch between the diff bracket & the brake dust shield is spinning.

Wikipedia has a decent write up on how a CV works & includes some moving images:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

nfpgasmask
09/12/2013, 11:54 AM
Never had a problem with the metal bands...get the $30 tool and they work great.

Bart

evillecutter
09/12/2013, 11:57 AM
Never had a problem with the metal bands...get the $30 tool and they work great.

Bart

thats more than i payed for the boots!!! :p

and as usual thanks everyone

nfpgasmask
09/12/2013, 12:00 PM
What can I say? I like tools. :) Plus, with the VX and 2 Troopers, it comes in handy.

Bart

tom4bren
09/12/2013, 12:19 PM
What can I say? I like tools. :) Plus, with the VX and 2 Troopers, it comes in handy.

Bart

right there witcha.

2VX & Amigo

But I'd still rather use zip ties.

VXorado
09/12/2013, 12:52 PM
Zip ties all the way and used exactly as described above. After many 4 wheeling trips, I have never encountered a problem with the zip ties.

Triathlete
09/12/2013, 01:58 PM
I have used zip ties and hose clamps. Both worked fine and no balance issuea even with the hose clamps.