PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case question???

magikmike
10/28/2013, 02:33 PM
Just a quick question about our transfer case. I noticed my 4 low is very clunky and loud, so I took it to my buddy's shop and we determined theres is a lot of slop in the front shaft chain. Since my EVO is still sitting in my driveway broke :( (cant afford to fix it at the present moment), my VX is my only form of transportation. I really can't be without a vehicle so my plan was to put a replacement t-case on,rather then the days I would need to rebuild my present one. There are very few VX t-cases out there, and I was reading other threads, and saw some people hint on the fact the trooper t-case is a direct fit (with some differences). I would really like someone to confirm this, and EXACTLY what are the differences. I quickly viewed my friends trooper when he brought it over, and it looked identical. Or if someone has a a spare lying around they would be willing to sell, I would buy it. Any input would be appreciated...Thanx in advance!:winky:

Triathlete
10/28/2013, 06:12 PM
The biggest difference is the trooper 4lo is not as low as our tcase. And I believe the troop has the option of 2hi.

twostep1n2
10/30/2013, 08:20 AM
Just a quick question about our transfer case. I noticed my 4 low is very clunky and loud, so I took it to my buddy's shop and we determined theres is a lot of slop in the front shaft chain. Since my EVO is still sitting in my driveway broke :( (cant afford to fix it at the present moment), my VX is my only form of transportation. I really can't be without a vehicle so my plan was to put a replacement t-case on,rather then the days I would need to rebuild my present one. There are very few VX t-cases out there, and I was reading other threads, and saw some people hint on the fact the trooper t-case is a direct fit (with some differences). I would really like someone to confirm this, and EXACTLY what are the differences. I quickly viewed my friends trooper when he brought it over, and it looked identical. Or if someone has a a spare lying around they would be willing to sell, I would buy it. Any input would be appreciated...Thanx in advance!:winky:

Any Trooper with TOD uses the same Tcase as the VX. They were made from 2001 on. Only on the high end "Limited" model with an automatic trans but there are a lot of them out there.

evillecutter
10/30/2013, 12:41 PM
the guys at performance driveline told me that a different izuzu transfer case (like from a rodeo) would work but the gearing is just a little different - merlin told me that the vx transfer case is unique and no other izuzu vehicles had the same tcase (even with tod) but many are similar

Joe Darlington
10/31/2013, 04:42 AM
I removed the TOD t-case as well as swapping out the front diff and TOD driveshaft with a normal one (2hi/4hi/4lo) from an older Isuzu. It was easy to do and the old style t-case is stronger than the TOD case and having a regular front driveshaft eliminates the wear issues with the TOD shaft on lifted VX's...

magikmike
11/04/2013, 04:09 AM
I removed the TOD t-case as well as swapping out the front diff and TOD driveshaft with a normal one (2hi/4hi/4lo) from an older Isuzu. It was easy to do and the old style t-case is stronger than the TOD case and having a regular front driveshaft eliminates the wear issues with the TOD shaft on lifted VX's...

did you have to run the TOD module for the trooper as well when you did the switch?

jarruda
11/24/2013, 03:41 AM
the guys at performance driveline told me that a different izuzu transfer case (like from a rodeo) would work but the gearing is just a little different - merlin told me that the vx transfer case is unique and no other izuzu vehicles had the same tcase (even with tod) but many are similar

Here's what I've gathered over the last few weeks since I believe my transfer case needs to be replaced as well:

The TOD system is actually part of the transfer case. Inside the t-case live electromagnetic clutches that are the heart of the TOD system.

The only other Isuzu transfer case that was equipped with TOD to my knowledge were in top-trim 99-05 Troopers with automatic transmissions. Supposedly, these also came with a 2-hi option, but I don't know how that affects its usage in a VX. Other than that, the Trooper t-case was equipped with higher low-range gears. The transfer case is otherwise a bolt-in replacement.

Rodeos w/manual transmissions have the transfer case built into the MUA5, and is non-removable. I don't have any information on Rodeos with automatics, but there is a possibility you may be able to use its transfer case, albeit you will lose TOD.

bartmanS4
11/25/2013, 10:45 AM
According to my Trooper and VX shop manuals both TOD TCs use a 2.48:1 Ratio for 4lo.

jarruda
12/01/2013, 09:20 AM
According to my Trooper and VX shop manuals both TOD TCs use a 2.48:1 Ratio for 4lo.

You are right! I guess I was thinking about the normal Trooper transfer case, which looks to be 2.28. I know the Rodeo's manual t-case is something like 2.04.

Buffy
12/01/2013, 09:55 AM
You can use the transfer case from a first gen Rodeo and it will bolt right in place of the TOD unit. You will lose the TOD functionality but will have a true transfer case with a 4Hi, 4Lo, and 2wd. Add a set of manual hubs and you have a serious 4wd system. You will have to change the rear drive shaft flange that attaches to the transfer case and will have to swap the TOD flange to axle up front. All should be doable by swapping parts from the donor vehicle. I am running this style transfer case in my race truck.