PDA

View Full Version : engine wine

Vinnybin
11/21/2013, 09:00 AM
Is that how you spell wine? My engine is rough to start in the cold. Falls below idle unfilled after its warm. There is a wine like rough bearing noise consistent with engine rpm when running. The transmission shifts HARD when it down shifts and hard in acceleration. Maybe water pump or something? I have no idea. Diagnostics bewilder me but I can read and execute How To's like a champ.

yellowgizmo99
11/21/2013, 10:18 AM
whine

evillecutter
11/21/2013, 01:56 PM
the whine is possibly the a/c compressor - my compressor was very loud when it went bad

Vinnybin
11/21/2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks yellow. And evil, your totally right. Ac does nothing when I hit the button. Does that its clutch or compressor?

evillecutter
11/22/2013, 12:07 PM
it probably means the bearings in the clutch are bad - you can change the clutch but its not easy but i htink mambers on this site have done it - i just replaced my compressor flat out since it was 13 years old anyways - there are a few threads on here to make sure you get the correct compressor there are two different models and neither of them are the correct ones that will come up on the computer at an auto parts store - easiest way it to pull it or look on it and see the model # - i think its also listed on a tag somewhere in front of the drivers side of the windshield - i jsut googled the model # and got mine off ebay - i try to do most of the work on my vx myself, but i had a pro do the compressor because i dont have the equipment to put the freon stuff back in the system and charge it - they can also check for leaks in the system - best of luck

BigSwede
11/22/2013, 07:32 PM
Power steering pump or fan clutch are also possibilities.

VcrossEbRd
11/25/2013, 05:13 PM
I'm in Dallas and it just recently got cold here. Mine wines when it's cold also and I'm certain it's the alternator. I have an Acura SLX which does the same thing in the cold. Come to think of it my 92 Trooper did it too when I had it. Retired her after 320k. :(. It goes away when they get warmed up. I just live with it....lol

eternal21
11/25/2013, 05:18 PM
Tensioner pulley. Mine whined for the better part of a year, could never figure it out. Truck would shift rough, made a God-awful racket when driving. Two weeks ago it threw a belt. Thought it was just crappy, replaced it, and it threw that one, too. I tried the pulley and realized it was frozen. Luckily I have a 3.5 Trooper engine in the garage, so I pulled the pulley off of and put it on the VX. Runs like a champ, no more whining, and the engine shifts a *lot* smoother.

The VX pulley, when I pulled it off, had shredded metal and jacked bearings inside. People say to start w/the AC pulley, but I'd start with the cheapest (and easiest) part to replace first. As my truck also had a tendency to overheat in hot weather w/the AC running full blast, I'm thinking the pulley might've been the problem, as well. I'll know next summer ;)

Vinnybin
11/28/2013, 10:02 PM
All good ideas. The pulley story eternal was saying almost sounds exactly like mine. Overheated in the summer and it.started shifting hard too. Button for Ac does nothing right now so ill check out thr clutch and see if its engaging. Let yall know soon.

Mile High VX
11/29/2013, 07:48 AM
Make sure the parts store gives you the right one. My local store had the wrong part listed intheir books.

Mile High VX
11/29/2013, 07:49 AM
Make sure the parts store gives you the right one. My local store had the wrong part listed in their books.

KRemo
11/29/2013, 11:23 AM
The A/C part number is listed on a yellow tag directly above the brake master cylinder.

LittleBeast
11/29/2013, 10:30 PM
I thought the same as everyone on here until I replaced every single component attached to the belt, and the whole time it was actually the harmonic balancer. Replaced the harmonic balancer and never heard a whine again.