PDA

View Full Version : Engine shuts down

AlexVX
12/30/2013, 04:41 PM
I got some work done recently on my VX, including transmission service and fuel filter change. It drove fine about 50 miles after that. I then have cleaned MAF Sensor in attempt to get rid of "lean during acceleration" CEL, and went on what had to be a 200 mile drive. Engine shut down after about 30 miles right in the middle of freeway. All dashboard lights went off, headlights and emergency lights still worked. Engine wouldn't start after that, with no dash lights coming on when i turn the ignition, but the starter would engage (to no effect). Tried disconnecting battery and wait 5 minutes, but no dash lights and starter working repeated. I then checked all the fuses and unplugged / plugged back in all black cubes (ECM, Starter, etc) in fuse box. The engine then started but shut down again half a mile later, also producing check TOD CEL, lights. And then I was back to no lights on dashboard/ starter works situation. I then called AAA to tow me back home.

Can anyone advise on how to diagnose this? I have not looked at stored codes yet, but CEL light is not currently on (after reconnecting battery and re-pluggin black cubes). I read some threads here that tied similar problems to fuel filter, but my mechanic is very certain its not, and is an electrical problem. Appreciate any pointers, thank you!

Triathlete
12/30/2013, 04:55 PM
Battery ground cable...make sure it is connected and make sure there is no corrosion

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/30/2013, 05:11 PM
If the above post doesn't help...check the ground terminal under the dash IIRC on the passenger side under the kick-panel. There was a TSB that said the ground screw can come loose and cause electrical issues. I had the problem myself after about a year of ownership.

Also check the electrical harness that runs under the driver-side headlight as others can chime in about the affects of a chafed harness.

Good luck.

Scott Larson
12/30/2013, 07:39 PM
I'm kinda thinkin' "ignition switch". All the signs are there of a faulty contact within the switch mechanism itself...best of luck!:thumbup:

evillecutter
01/02/2014, 08:43 AM
would an ignition switch cause it to die in the middle of the highway? if it would not have restarted i would have said timing belt broke, but if it restarted that cannot be the case

i replaced about 5 sensors and the fuel pump about a year ago to try to fix my idle problem but its back again this week - im worried about this same thing happening to me

im fixing it for good this time with a for sale sign

best of luck hope its something easy and inexpensive

Mile High VX
01/02/2014, 10:12 AM
I had a '69 Z28 that developed this same issue. Finally discovered that the tach wire had worn thru at the firewall. Every once in a while it would ground out and the engine would die, but start right back up.

I think that looking for an electrical issue is the right place to start.

evillecutter
01/02/2014, 11:08 AM
I think that looking for an electrical issue is the right place to start.

i agree - unfortunately those are the biggest pita of them all! :disturbed

AlexVX
01/02/2014, 12:30 PM
Well even though I didn't see any corrosion i did file negative post and the connector and was able to drive 2.5 miles to my mechanic (timing belt due) I wish its that simple but will keep any eye on it.
Thanks ya'll !