PDA

View Full Version : Transmission went out:( Replace or Rebuild??

Ruflyf
01/03/2014, 03:13 PM
Transmission just went out and I'm not sure which is the better route to take. Specifically what its doing is this, reverse and low work fine. Drive, third & second slip practically like its in neutral.

This happened suddenly overnight, woke up the following morning and surprise. I always thought transmissions go out slowly, guess not.

A local shop quoted $1900 to rebuild the tranny. I can get one from a trooper shipped to a local salvage yard for $800 but then would still need to do the swap. Plus I remember someone on here mentioning rough gear changes after doing a trooper tranny swap? Anyone else have experience with that?

Third possible option is a replacement with a different tranny, is that even possible? I know a standard rather than auto has been done but any other automatic solutions?

Thanks

Keith

Triathlete
01/03/2014, 04:09 PM
With a used tranny you may get lucky and ot works fine and lasts a long time or you may get 200 miles out of it and your stuck with $800 yard ornament.
If you rebuild using a quality shop that uses quality parts (there are aftermarket sources for heavy duty clutches/bands) you know what you're getting plus a good shop will iaually garantee their work.
Ultimately it's your money and decision.
The only option for a different auto tranny would involve big $$$. A cuatim adapter would need to be fabbed, etc...

Ruflyf
01/03/2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks. The shop did have a 12 month 12k miles warranty.

evillecutter
01/07/2014, 09:51 AM
ran into the same problem with my transfer case - a new one from isuzu is like $275,486.47 and all of the used ones i came across were either out of a trooper or had about the same amount of miles mine did on it before it went bad - i chose to rebuild because i felt confident that the shop and guys working there knew what they were doing - if my trans went out i would probably rebuild as well