PDA

View Full Version : Hood Cable

magellan
02/08/2014, 03:23 AM
Hi Guys

Well i went to check the oil yesterday and start the VX and bugger me the bonnet catch wont release. After 4 hours of pulling the front end off to get to the catch i am still no wiser to why it wont work. The cable is moving, so i am curious can the cable stretch ? - i went and picked up a 2nd hand catch and cable but it looks to be a nightmare to fit. Has anybody else had this problem and had to do this before ?

VXorado
02/08/2014, 06:47 AM
This is a common issue... super convenient for a vehicle that needs the oil checked frequently. The problem usually has less to do with the cable and more to do with either, the spring wearing out that makes the latch "pop" or a misalignment of the latch to the hood catch. Typically, you can have a helper pull the hood up while you have the latch handle pulled.

To solve this... I lube the latch components and move the latch assembly (by loosening it's bolts) until I find a position where the hood "pops" again. Seems like I have to adjust the latch every 6 months or so...

In the past I also installed a spring to help "pop" the hood. I got the idea from the Jeep JK wranglers. It worked well but I unintentionally smashed the spring a while back and haven't installed another one.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOTir98VlvmRZj82rMhIR69GhN53qmz miperpbF193lL36Wztf

magellan
02/08/2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info, i will pull the catch off and check the springs and give it a good lube. The spring idea seems really good, now to source one on Monday. I do not want to run the new cable if at all possible.

Triathlete
02/08/2014, 03:46 PM
If the support gets bent it will cause the same thing. Also check that all the bolts are there and tight (on the latch mechanism).

Mile High VX
02/08/2014, 04:03 PM
Mine has never "popped" up but has always just unlatched and then you can pull the hood up and release the safety latch.

Cobrajet
02/09/2014, 08:55 AM
Mine would never "pop" either. I had the same issue until I adjusted the hood bumpers a little higher. But, now it seemed like the front corners of the hood are misaligned with the fenders. At least I can open the hood single handedly!

tom4bren
02/10/2014, 05:07 AM
X2 on above tips.

On the Proton, I couldn't open the hood one day. It ended up being the release handle inside the cab. The bracket that holds it is not very strong & can get bent up pretty easily. I just removed the whole thing & bent it all back into shape & re-installed it. That was over a year ago & no problems since.

On Boy's Ebony, when we got it one of the bolts on the latch mechanism was missing. Once a new one (hard to find) was located & installed, it's been flawless ever since.

magellan
02/10/2014, 06:02 AM
*Update* i installed the new latch and it seems to be working ok, the latch came off a wrecked rodeo, everything is the same except for the length of the lever, i need an extra 2 inches on my fingers to reach it now. I will be welding a piece of flat bar on it tomorrow.

Tom, the bracket was bent and i straightened it out with a pair of pliers so it's all back in alignment now.

tom4bren
02/10/2014, 06:16 AM
Glad you found a solution.

Kinda scary when you can't get the hood open, ain't it!

Makocross
02/10/2014, 02:45 PM
My hood wasn't popping up, the bumpers were dead. I just put some o-rings under the worn bumpers, works now for two years.
Mike

magellan
02/10/2014, 03:57 PM
Glad you found a solution.

Kinda scary when you can't get the hood open, ain't it!

Yep, a real arse puckering experience for sure Tom and pulling the bar, lights and cladding off also sucked as well

Mike, my bumpers were screwed as well, but for 18 bucks you can get two new ones. They are exactly the same as those fitted to a 100 series Landcruiser HZJ105R, I just picked up 2 new ones this morning and they wound in perfectly.

Bill

tom4bren
02/11/2014, 05:40 AM
Yep, a real arse puckering experience for sure ...

ROFL - Is that why your hood isn't latched in the pix you posted the other day ... afraid to close it???:)

I was actually considering an emergency release cable positioned so that I could reach it from somewhere under the front end ... but then I decided t'wasn't necessary since my problem was in the cab & not under the hood.

magellan
02/11/2014, 12:43 PM
ROFL - Is that why your hood isn't latched in the pix you posted the other day ... afraid to close it???:)

HAHA yeah very perceptive of you, that's exactly the reason it wasn't latched. I should have waited until i got the spare latch on before i put it all back together. then it wouldn't have mattered.

The emergency release catch is already on mine, it's a piece of wire rolled up out of sight that's attached to the spring release :o

KRemo
02/11/2014, 05:48 PM
Mine did it also would not pop open changed the rubber stop bumpers and works great