PDA

View Full Version : Cladding restoration

Cstoops72
03/02/2014, 09:37 PM
After doing a little research on different products to restore cladding, I came across using a heat gun....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRjO9V5IaW0

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this on the VX??? Looks like it would be a great start to restoring all the cladding.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image80.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24433)

vt_maverick
03/03/2014, 03:24 AM
For real people need to start using the search engine. Not because we're petty about being asked the same question about a bagillion times, but because there's far more information out there already than you'll get in replies to this thread.

Look at this thread for starters, a few posts down you'll find links to even more threads on this subject.

Cobrajet
03/03/2014, 04:54 AM
The best method depends on whether you have black cladding, or dark grey cladding. :)

Mile High VX
03/03/2014, 05:55 AM
The best method depends on whether you have black cladding, or dark grey cladding. :)

ROFL...that sir, is a classic response...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Cstoops72
03/03/2014, 05:56 AM
Believe me I use the search engine plenty... I read every new post that comes in every couple of days. Every cladding post I have read is about using gatorback, rhino lining or another kind of paint. I do like the results of the dye that VXKat used. My question was about using heat...maybe I could have hijacked someone else's thread and revived something that is years old but I chose to start fresh

yellowgizmo99
03/03/2014, 08:07 AM
he said only lasted 6 months, I used the dye Sue or Kat used almost 2 years ago and still looks great.

arcobarco
03/03/2014, 09:30 AM
I tried the heat gun with an extra cladding part that I have. I will post the pictures when I get home. The shine of the heat treated side had more shine than I wanted, and it was difficult to get a consistent look. To me it was blotchy, but I will post pictures of what I have and you can be the judge.

VXorado
03/03/2014, 11:58 AM
I tried the heat gun with an extra cladding part that I have. I will post the pictures when I get home. The shine of the heat treated side had more shine than I wanted, and it was difficult to get a consistent look. To me it was blotchy, but I will post pictures of what I have and you can be the judge.

+1

I've tried the heat gun method with the same results. I've also tried all of the other mentioned cladding treatments (except Line-X). Gatorback is my latest kick and my cladding looks better than i've ever seen it. I just hope it holds up.

VX KAT
03/03/2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, all the responses above were referring to heat gun.

Searched on "heat gun".....
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21813&highlight=heat+gun

Then see post #3 for about 5 more threads on it.

FlyingV77
03/03/2014, 01:45 PM
Just tired the wd40 method. Took 2 coats but looks good

VX KAT
03/03/2014, 01:46 PM
Just tired the wd40 method. Took 2 coats but looks good

Does that attract dust like crazy?

*albino*batman*
03/03/2014, 01:53 PM
i bought some "astonish back-to-black" for 99p / litre in a spray gun. gave it two coats and its a million times better. that was two days ago so maybe it will have washed off now but for 99p / litre i can do it every week when i was it! also works a treat on the tyres :)

Cstoops72
03/03/2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks Kat.... looks like I'm gonna use your method of dying it. Still haven't found any good evidence of how well it works. Did your cladding fade any over the years? Did you use anything for preventive maintenance after you dyed it?

arcobarco
03/03/2014, 07:35 PM
I would go with the treatment that VXorado suggested I just used it and it is better than the show room new for ease of application and lack of temperamental streaking. I have no streaking and the cladding looks fabulous. The worst part is taping off the areas you don't want to have sprayed. I was not able to locate the picture of the heat gun treated cladding I'm sure if I looked longer I would find it, but I really don't think that you would like it.

FlyingV77
03/03/2014, 08:39 PM
Its only been a couple days. I'll let yall know when I find out

FlyingV77
08/28/2014, 10:02 PM
sorry it took so long to update, i forgot about the thread.
ok it took about 2-3 coats over a few days to get even coverage. it looked GREAT. But, it didn't last near as long as i hoped. maybe about a month.
and it didnt attract much if any dust

JHarris1385
08/29/2014, 07:14 AM
Iv used WD40 before, its not bad, nearly the same as when I have used furniture polish/pledge.

circmand
08/29/2014, 12:32 PM
Has to be a dust gatherer.

FlyingV77
08/30/2014, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=circmand;298655]Has to be a dust gatherer.[/QUOT

stayed on the road, but i couldn't seen any dust collection.. you got to wipe it down. i think that helped a lot.

Jayd-S
08/31/2014, 01:55 AM
Makes sense now! Previous owner must have used a heat gun on the cladding as I noticed a couple of spots where the plastic looked melted and had begun to run!
I have used "Showroom New" dye. http://www.showroomnewproducts.com/

Showroom New also has an amazing cleaning solution that you apply first and which gives the dye much better penetration. They have black and gray. This also works really well on all the exterior plastics including roof spoiler and rack plus mirrors and door handles. It is not a coating or paint and therefore is not sticky, does not chip or fade and restores the original almost non existant lustre. It has been around for a long time and user feed back suggests that it still looks new after two years.:yesgray: