PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light...

dobie3
11/19/2003, 03:55 PM
IS ON. Interesting...I filled the gas tank three days ago, with Chevron 87 octane, lower than I usually do, but according to the manual it's okay. Anyway, yesterday, my wife took the car to the dealer for an oil change. Well, today, the "check engine" light is on.

I suspect the low ocatane. Any conjectures? Or, did the dealer screw it up...

VehiX
11/19/2003, 04:17 PM
Are you leaking oil?

I'd check the drain plug and make sure the secured it properly and used a new washer for it.

Just my .02

Personally my light has never come on regardles of the fuel grade I have used.

Seems like a lame response, but check to ensure your gas cap is on good and tight. Turn for a few extra clicks. This seems to work for some folks but again has never personally happened to me :)

nyc #1 ironman
11/20/2003, 06:57 AM
my checkengine light came on and unfortunately it was my 02 sensors...

dobie3
11/20/2003, 05:21 PM
I'll check the fuel cap, although my wife has already done this I believe, especially since we've been through this with her VW Passat.

I'll also check for fuel leaks.

This is bizarre...see your dealer that you might drive off with unpleasant surprises. To be fair, I've not had a problem with the dealership, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll keep you posted.

dobie3
12/10/2003, 04:22 PM
I took the VX to my dealer and they reset the code. The light has not reappeared. It seems I screwed something up, when I filled the tank. Possible the cap wasn't on right. The vapor sensor in the area is apparently very sensitive; doing its job.

In any case, I was informed that the code will reset itelsf after some number of starts and stops, buyt it might take 50 or so.

Bottom line: don't let your dealer get overly zealous and replace sensors.

ScottinMA
12/10/2003, 05:54 PM
That check engine light occurs when the gas cap is not tight. I had that experience...

Mr. I-MAN
12/10/2003, 09:23 PM
Also you might check the vacuum hoses on your pollution control devices,ie.. PCV hose, Charcoal canister hoses or any other vacuum lines. My check engine light came on when a hose came off the charcoal canister.

tomdietrying
12/11/2003, 06:18 AM
That happened to me last week. I went somewhere, shut the VX off, started it again and the "check engine light" came on. I took it right over to the dealer. They checked it and said the gas cap was loose.

Go figure. Check your gas cap.

Tom

Dallas4u
12/11/2003, 08:24 AM
Yea... the gas cap has been an annoyance for a long time here (and the old board). That damn plastic tie that holds the gas cap from falling always seems to want to get inside the threads when you tighten it back on.

Anyway, always something to keep in mind if the Check Engine light comes on and you can't, for the love of all that is living, figure out why.

Bantan
12/11/2003, 09:34 AM
I got the check engine light virus and my engine keeps on cutting off while in slow holiday traffic. My dealer is booked solid until next week, when I will be in the UK(so I probably can't take it in until I get back). Anything I can do in the interim?
Its not the gas cap.
Happens mostly when the engine is cold.
the RPM pointer bops between 0 and 1000 while in drive or reverse and brake is applied or at a complete stop, then engine shuts off.
Was kinda scary last night in the rain, It cut off with an 18 wheel Truck on my tail.

Anita
12/11/2003, 09:36 AM
Mercer,

Do a search on the MAF and the ERG valve/tube. Other cause could be fuel filter.

My dealer service dept. (a good one) has been tracking for a while now some problems with the ERG valve going bad on VX's. Fluctuating RPM's, stalling, etc. They even mentioned more serious problems related somehow to engine running hotter --> piston failure.

I am taking my VX in for its 60K ;eekr; check-up tomorrow. I have some rare occurances of fluctuating RPMs and one stall about a week ago when the engine was cold. They are gonna look into it. I'll have more information tommorw as to what they find.

Dallas4u
12/11/2003, 10:00 AM
It could also be a leaking intake gasket.

Bantan
12/11/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Anita
Mercer,

Do a search on the MAF and the ERG valve/tube. Other cause could be fuel filter.

My dealer service dept. (a good one) has been tracking for a while now some problems with the ERG valve going bad on VX's. Fluctuating RPM's, stalling, etc. They even mentioned more serious problems related somehow to engine running hotter --> piston failure.

Thanks Anita(Mortisha).
Your words are like French to my(Gomez) ears (Addams family)

VX_PA
12/11/2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah, check intake gasket. That's the exact symtoms mine had when the intake gasket went bad.

Bantan
12/11/2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by VX_PA
Yeah, check intake gasket. That's the exact symtoms mine had when the intake gasket went bad.

Thanks,
Will do, as soon as it stops raining.