PDA

View Full Version : car audio guys

AlaskaVX
11/19/2003, 04:12 PM
What type of head unit, or what should I look for in a head unit? I am planning on running Infinity 5.1 and 6.1 components with my Hyphonics Zeus 440x4 amp. I have Sony explode subs right now but plan on upgrading to the infinity 10.1d's. I also want to run a disc changer off of it. I know there is something in the head unit that you want when running component speakers, but what? I remember reading somewhere that if I am running an amp to the speakers you don't want any "pre-amp" from the head unit, is this true? Could you reccomend a head unit for this system?
Thank you in advance,
Alan

Y33TREKker
11/19/2003, 04:39 PM
This link will at least give you an idea of some of the different makes and models that will fit a VX.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V8yH8KL6Iyv/cgi-bin/autoinfo/Receivers.asp?s=0&id=13550&cc=01

If you're running component speakers with an aftermarket amplifier, the head unit would simply have to have pre-amp outputs. Any "powered" outputs from the head unit (like the ones on this one for instance " 22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4" :

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-V8yH8KL6Iyv/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=055CDCZ137&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

would be redundant, because you wouldn't need them, although you could use them by bypassing your external amplifier if you wanted to.

As far as which one I would recommend, all I could do is suggest the ones that I've had good luck with in the past. I'm currently running a Kenwood head-unit in my car with Rockford-Fosgate amps, and both Polk and Bazooka speakers. I think it's all personal preference though, because simple factors like how much you like the look of a particular head-unit will vary from person to person.

If you find a head-unit on Crutchfields' site that you like, places like Best Buy and Circuit City will usually have them set up in displays so you can check them out in action, in person.

If you're wanting to run a disk changer, one option you might want to consider is a changer/head-unit combo that has .mp3 capability. You can get a whole lot more songs on a cd in .mp3 format than you can in .wav.

.mp3 cd's would allow you to keep 100's of songs in the changer rather than a total of about a 100 that you'd have with something like a 10-disk changer.

Hotsauce
11/19/2003, 04:43 PM
You have a HiFonics 440 is a 4 channel amp. How do you plan to run your sub? You'll need a seperate mono amp.

Look for a headunit with 3 sets of preouts, front, rear, and non-fading sub.

This is where you need to decide how much you really want to spend.

I would looked for the following things:

Removable face

4-6v output

100Db + of signal/noise on CD playback

I wanted to be able to play DVD-A also, I want to play SACD in the car too, but haven't found a HU to do it yet.

I really like the better sony ES line, some of the better Eclipse units, and some of the Alpines.

Its hard to pick a unit for you without an idea of budget.

John C.

AlaskaVX
11/19/2003, 05:16 PM
Well I'm looking to spend under or around $400 for the head unit. I have another amp running the subs, its a Coustic 600wx2 RMS. I was looking through the crutchfield stuff and am thinking about the Alpine CDA-7995, just wish it was red, oh well. For those who have an Alpine system what is the lowest FM station you can go. One of my favorite stations is 87.7, and not many head units go that low.

Hotsauce
11/19/2003, 07:29 PM
You know not to buy from crutch, right? Everyone is cheaper.

John C.

gruven
11/19/2003, 08:16 PM
Hmmmmmmm..

SACD in my VX?!? Now that would be nothing short of pure bliss....

Gonna have a new system for us next summer Alan?

-gruven:supercool

AlaskaVX
11/20/2003, 12:27 AM
I buy off ebay, so should get about the best deal. thanx though a lot of people don't know that.

Gruven, I should have all my stereo together by next summer, gonna start piecing it together paycheck by paycheck. Looking foreward to fishing again already I see LOL. Hopefully I will have a lot of other stuff done also, lift, 33"s, rear hitch, and a reciever winch!

MZ-N10
11/20/2003, 09:10 AM
im pretty sure pioneer has one of the best head units u can find. but its pretty pricey for them...the sony CDX-MP40 single disc mp3/cd player with controls for a cd/md changer...im not sure that the changer will support mp3s but atleast teh deck can....the head unit from sony will cost 170 or so and teh changer is around 300(for the md) no clue for teh cd changer
________
HentaiBaby (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/HentaiBaby/)