PDA

View Full Version : Key Broken in my Ignition

Mile High VX
05/04/2014, 05:09 PM
About a third of it left in the cylinder.

Still turns when the other piece is put in.

Suggestions for getting the broken piece out appreciated.

Y33TREKker
05/04/2014, 05:43 PM
Dental picks?

JoFotoz
05/04/2014, 06:32 PM
I've never tried it....

www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Broken-Key-from-an-Ignition-Lock

...hope it works for you :thumbup:

Jo

Mile High VX
05/04/2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jo...

I ordered the Wedgco kit.

http://www.wedgeco.com/

It will have time to arrive while I'm in Virginia next week...:(

eternal21
05/04/2014, 10:49 PM
We were talking about this @ our last local VX meet, as it happened to one of the guys. It would appear that a lot of us stick our key in the rear hatch to open it, and instead of using the grab handle, we use the key to pull it open. Twists and weakens the key and eventually, this happens. Not saying you opened your hatch that way, but quite a few of the others, as well as myself, admitted to it at some point and time :)

Mile High VX
05/05/2014, 05:13 AM
I did it this way before I hooked my door popper up to my alarm and now it opens itself and no key needed...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I think my issue is that I don't get the key all the way out of the ignition before I pull it towards me to get out. I had to bend it back on occasion and it finally just broke off.

If I can get the piece out successfully I have another key so I should be good to go!

Y33TREKker
05/05/2014, 08:44 AM
Based on the regularity of stock keys I've heard of being broken off on this website, I might just start using the spare keys I had made a few years ago. Even when grabbing the handle while opening the hatch, I can still feel the stock key twisting a little, so maybe they just weren't made of very good metal from the very start.

JULIAN911
05/07/2014, 10:14 PM
That guy with the broken key from overuse of using the key to pull the backdoor out was me :( I had to call a professional guy that specialized in doing that sorta thing and even he couldn't get out the broken piece. He finally had to call on a locksmith to disassemble to whole ignition switch.

Now I only use the door handle :smilewink