PDA

View Full Version : help please - engine install

thelemur
05/08/2014, 01:52 PM
Hi all, I finally have my rebuilt engine ready to install, however I can't get it to fit! It keeps getting hung up on the torque converter or mostly the oil pan and front axle, and advice , I would greatly appreciate it! I've been stuck here tying to pry it in for two days.

bigblock8396375
05/08/2014, 02:46 PM
The torque converter is in the trans not bolted to the flex plate right. If its in the trans I found it easier to remove the intake when installing the engine, that way you can get at the top trans bolts easier.

bigblock8396375
05/08/2014, 02:49 PM
I just noticed you're in Altoona! I just arrived at Penn State University to pickup my daughter from school!

Knigh7s
05/08/2014, 03:16 PM
Is your radiator and intake plenum removed? When I dropped mine in, a slight tilt with the front of the engine up helped a lot. As you start lowering it in, gradually level the engine out.

I've got a lot of random photos here that I took of the removal and install. May or may not help. (http://myvehicross.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=photos&userid=62&task=album&albumid=12&Itemid=4)

What kind of hanger are you using on your hoist? Using a manual leveler helps a lot.

Etfren
05/08/2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah, its near impossible to get to the top two bellhousing bolts with the intake on the engine. Install it without it then put it back on in the truck.

eternal21
05/09/2014, 08:06 AM
Yeah, its near impossible to get to the top two bellhousing bolts with the intake on the engine. Install it without it then put it back on in the truck.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....gonna have to beg to differ. I went from a 4AT to a 5MT and I didn't pull the manifold.

thelemur
05/12/2014, 08:19 PM
Thank you all for the replies and help, I finally got everything bolted down and torqued tight, my converter was not seated in all the way giving me no room and much frustration. I did get the engine/ tranny bolts in with the intake on but then had to remove it several times to put on plugs, fuel lines and a bit of cheese ffor the mouse nest under there, anyways started right up and ran great until I realized I didn't add water to account for the empty block, but that's another story ...