PDA

View Full Version : clunking sound when decelerating to stop.

kitman3
05/26/2014, 01:02 PM
I read the thread from 10/19/10 wanted to ask some more questions.
I changed the universal joints on my drive shaft will check grease.
What in the transfer case would cause this?

When I brake normally or harder there is no clunk?
When I brake slowly I get the clunk?

Any help or advise would be much appreciated it annoys the hell out of me while hoping nothing breaks.

Marlin
05/26/2014, 01:24 PM
Mine does it all the time, I just ignore it. :bgwb:

VXR
05/26/2014, 02:14 PM
Check your trans mount bolts.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16877&highlight=trans+mount

Mile High VX
05/26/2014, 02:26 PM
Torque them to 37 lbs ft...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Triathlete
05/26/2014, 02:32 PM
Turn your stereo up louder! :D

PK
05/26/2014, 04:39 PM
If it is only 1 clunk, it is your transmission having a hard shift down from 2nd to 1st gear. This is fairly normal for our trucks and nothing to worry about.

If it is a clunkity clunk clunk, then try and work out if it matches wheel RPM or tailshaft RPM. That will tell you where to start looking.

PK

Marlin
05/26/2014, 05:01 PM
I think I know what clunk he speaks of. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop, it will thunk, almost seeming to be in time with complete stop. It was enough that for awhile I thought it was the caliper moving or something like that.

JAMAS
05/27/2014, 10:06 AM
Do you have and use a remote starter?

Vinnybin
06/14/2014, 11:35 AM
I have the clunk too. I notice mine when I let the brake off from a complete stop. I'm suspecting the transmission mounts only because someone else told me this was what the clunk has a high probability to be. Wasn't there some engine mounts that were also a common problem for VX?

Cobrajet
06/15/2014, 04:16 AM
I have the clunk too. I notice mine when I let the brake off from a complete stop. I'm suspecting the transmission mounts only because someone else told me this was what the clunk has a high probability to be. Wasn't there some engine mounts that were also a common problem for VX?

Mine was doing exactly the same thing many years ago. It was just the u-joints needing grease. (I've checked my transmission mounts several times, and they have never been loose.) I think there are 3 zerk fittings. A quick search should find everything you need to know. It's been discussed several times.

Mile High VX
06/15/2014, 06:22 AM
Mine was doing exactly the same thing many years ago. It was just the u-joints needing grease. (I've checked my transmission mounts several times, and they have never been loose.) I think there are 3 zerk fittings. A quick search should find everything you need to know. It's been discussed several times.

X2...same here and since I grease those and my sway bar at each oil change it has never come back...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

First time to do it took quite a bit of grease too.

VXobsession
06/23/2014, 02:49 PM
My clunk comes and goes....but it's the same clunk ya'll speak of....