PDA

View Full Version : Been a busy bee

Marlin
06/28/2014, 11:13 AM
-I installed a new DVD player in the dash, Hong Kong special, 140 shipped, supports DVD, GPS, rear camera, flip out touch screen with TV quality resolution, integrated blue tooth, TV stations, etc...I am more than impressed, sounds 10 times better than my Sony head unit.
-I also upgraded to a Fosgate Prime 12" 1ohm sub, a new 500x1 Punch amp with CLIP and remote controls. Way louder and tighter than my Kicker procomp and smaller Punch amp. The kicker made its way into the RS since someone broke in and stole her JLW1 and amp.
-I am 90% complete on the brake controller install, everything is wired and installed except the last 2 feet of cable which goes to the brake light switch on the pedal, which is going to be a huge PITA since it is behind and above the steering wheel. I just have to figure out which wire I need to use, and since you can't really see it, it will be tough. After that, I will have my Genesis II brake controller up and running, ready for the trailer.

All I have left before the move:
-Bumper and winch for the VX
-Tranny swap for the RS
-Mount the bike racks on the trailer
-Finish the electric bike project(need to paint them tan to match the trailer and truck. I acquired 4 electric bikes from my parents for free! They are pretty neat, pedal assist or full motorized, perfect for Moab and trips to the strip from the campground. I also have a trailer to tow behind mine for bugout purposes, its all about dual purpose projects)
-Build and mount the mudflap brackets for the trailer
install the Wet Okole covers with integrated holster, leash for the hound, sunglass holders and map pockets
-grease the zerks
-change diff gear oil
-rotate tires on the car and VX

I should be leaving in 3 weeks or so, and I will have 9 days off in that time...piece of cake.:)

YellowVX
06/28/2014, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. My wife and I are also moving from Las vegas to San Antonio. She's driving the VX all the way. It has about 110,000 on it but the motor was replaced at 85,000.

Marlin
06/29/2014, 05:43 AM
This will be my 2nd x-country drive in the VX. I have 145xxxish original miles, only 30K in the last 5.5 years. We are not terribly excited with this 3000 mile drive, especially pulling the trailer behind the VX:(

Marlin
07/07/2014, 01:13 PM
More project time done. Mounted the farm jack on the roof rack, that was a decent project. Finished wiring up the electric brakes, gonna switch out the genesis for a primus IQ.
I also broke down all of my aisin hubs, two full sets in the garage for the last few years, just needed cleaned up. They are all in pristine condition, no rebuild needed!
I will swap those out this weekend pending weather.
I also hit the jackpot at the yards today, found a foglight switch out of a honda passport! Got the harness and everything! I have only found 4 of these in 6 years! This one will run my foglights....lol.
Getting closer to being done, zerks, rotate tires and so on. Trailer is already to go, bicycle rack mounted to rear of trailer (had to build a mounting plate and add a receiver with extension to clear the rear spare) I need to take a bunch of pics, figure I will do that once I have the new seat covers and its all loaded up!

Marlin
07/11/2014, 11:48 AM
More done today:
Changed spark plugs, new iridium NGKs.
Rebuilt and installed Aisin hubs
Went to change front diff oil, still looked brand new, bright shiny purple! It took an entire bottle to top it off, I have leaking wheel seals on both sides:( 4 years worth of leaking, not bad, I can handle that.
Had to drain rear diff, looked like motor oil:(

Almost done!

VXCanada
07/11/2014, 11:58 AM
Nice... will do my front and rear diffs this weekend too.

T.

Marlin
07/11/2014, 12:05 PM
Damn, forgot to grease the zerks while I was under there all that time today. Not getting dirty again today. Might work on winch mount tomorrow...keep putting it off, running out of time.

Mile High VX
07/11/2014, 01:18 PM
Nice... will do my front and rear diffs this weekend too.

T.

Make sure you loosen the fill plug BEFORE you take out the drain plug...can be frustrating if you drain it and then can't fill it...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Marlin
07/11/2014, 01:26 PM
Make sure you loosen the fill plug BEFORE you take out the drain plug...can be frustrating if you drain it and then can't fill it...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

True true. Just for convenience, the rear plugs are both 24mm, the front fill is 24mm and the drain is 12mm.

Marlin
07/20/2014, 05:49 PM
Got my wet okole seat covers, very nice. The holster is decent, very simple, holds a M&P40c just fine. Will actually hold two weapons as it has a left hand and right hand draw pocket. The sunglass pouch addition is great. I store knife, light, first aid, sunblock and bug repellant, emergency food etc...all in the passenger pocket! Could probably put 3 sunglasses in there.