PDA

View Full Version : Replacing relay/flasher for LED turn signals

Bill Brown
07/13/2014, 07:31 AM
My Tridon EP34 Flasher came in the mail, yesterday. This morning (before dawn to beat our triple digit heat), spent near 2 hours trying to find something resembling:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31dJbrLjkHL.jpg
Even removed the section of dash cover under the steering column, above the brake and gas pedals, to try to get a better view above/behind/left of the fuse box. Wonder if the '99 Ironman uses some different kind of relay/flasher module?

Behind the fuse box I found 2 black plastic modules with bundles of wires plugged into them. They are about 2 or 3 times wider than the relay/flasher in the photo.

Any photos of a VX relay/flasher plugged in under the dash? Seeing that sure would help pin point the relay/flasher. TIA.

LittleBeast
07/13/2014, 08:25 AM
If you flasher is working turn it on and feel underneath the dash near where your left leg would be if driving. It is tucked up there pretty high among other similar looking relays and fuses. The only way for me to tell them apart was to turn the flashers on and feel which one was clicking. If I am remembering correctly you pull it out towards the back of the car for removal. I put a LED flasher in I ordered from VLEDs and never had to worry about the resistors or fast flashing with LEDs again.

vxcp
07/13/2014, 08:32 AM
No photos of the flasher relay plugged in under the dash. I didn't take anything apart to get the flasher relay out. Basically reached up just about as far as I could under the dash and behind the fuse box.

My OEM relay was smaller (shorter and not quite as wide) than the Tridon EP34 module and is labeled 'Flasher', 'Denso', 'FL257EB'.

Looks pretty similar to this but in black and with slightly different numbering/labeling: http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Flasher-select-models/dp/B001G6JVAC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405264877&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=turn+signal+relay+flasher+isuzu+vehicross +1999

Amazon claims this fits the 1999 Vehicross so it seems you may have the same relay/flasher. Perhaps it's in a slightly different location?

Bill Brown
07/13/2014, 09:00 AM
If you flasher is working turn it on and feel underneath the dash near where your left leg would be if driving. It is tucked up there pretty high among other similar looking relays and fuses. The only way for me to tell them apart was to turn the flashers on and feel which one was clicking. If I am remembering correctly you pull it out towards the back of the car for removal. I put a LED flasher in I ordered from VLEDs and never had to worry about the resistors or fast flashing with LEDs again.I'd wager the flasher was probably in too clear of view, couldn't see the forest for the trees type of thing. Tried turning on the hazard warning flashers a few times, could hear the general location of the flasher, but couldn't feel anything clicking. Excellent suggestion, though. Garage getting pizza cooking hot, so will give it another try in the morning.

WormGod
07/14/2014, 07:03 AM
Its a bit of "feeling around" to get to it. Im a skinny runt so I managed to contort myself into a very uncomfortable position to get back far enough to even see up there a bit when I put mine in. Just know.... it can be done.... :yesgray:

Bill Brown
07/14/2014, 07:43 AM
Managed to severely break several ribs in a fall a few years back. They've healed, but my contortionist days ended as a result. Will wimp out and let a professional replace that flasher. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Bill Brown
07/25/2014, 07:37 AM
My OEM relay was smaller (shorter and not quite as wide) than the Tridon EP34 module and is labeled 'Flasher', 'Denso', 'FL257EB'.Was surprised to see how much smaller the OEM flasher was compared to the Tridon EP34 module. The OEM flasher looked less than half the size of the Tridon. Alltech (http://www.alltechautoclovisca.com/) installled my Tridon EP34, which is working fine. Doubt I would have ever found that tiny OEM module.:laughgray

Wantvegas
11/15/2014, 09:00 AM
I take it by installing this new relay it lets you use LED bulbs for the front and back turn signals? With out the car thinking one of the lights is out?

Also, do you have a link to where I can buy this relay? Thanks!

LittleBeast
11/15/2014, 09:30 AM
Yes that is what it does:

www.vleds.com/flashers-modules/3-pin-japanese-electronic-led-flasher-blinker-fix-jso.html

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 09:57 AM
I take it by installing this new relay it lets you use LED bulbs for the front and back turn signals? With out the car thinking one of the lights is out?

Also, do you have a link to where I can buy this relay? Thanks!Bought my Tridon EP34 Flasher at www.amazon.com for $12.61 with free shipping. My turn signals and hazard flashers work great. The flash rate is slightly faster than with the stock flasher and incandescent bulbs. The slightly faster flash rate is excellent with LED lights, because the LEDs turn on and off instantly, unlike incandescent bulbs that take time to heat up and cool down with each flash.

Mile High VX
11/15/2014, 10:44 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Tridon-EP34-Flasher/dp/B00064LQKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416077037&sr=8-1&keywords=tridon+ep34

This is the one he purchased I believe...:smilewink:bgwb:

Bill Brown
11/15/2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Tridon-EP34-Flasher/dp/B00064LQKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416077037&sr=8-1&keywords=tridon+ep34

This is the one he purchased I believe...:smilewink:bgwb:I see the price went up a bit to $12.83 and "free shipping" now requires $35 worth of purchases.

Stephen Biko
11/15/2014, 04:14 PM
Check the "other sellers" - Partsense has it for $12.31 with no-strings-attached free shipping.

ipd
08/20/2018, 02:05 PM
Well I just swapped mine today. It is a PITA to get your arm way up in there, and to get enough leverage to pull it out. The new one doesn't have a nub to lock in place, but it works. LED or not, it works the same...but it won't warn you when a bulb is out (standard for these). It pulls out straight towards the back of the car. The "middle" prong faces the left side of the vehicle when you plug it in, FYI. I couldn't even see the socket when I pulled it out, I had to rely on how it was in my hand when I took it out to know.

CF13-JL02 worked. There's a bunch of listings for it.

Thelgord
08/21/2018, 02:51 PM
It (the OEM one) warns you when a blinker is out? I have never seen such a thing ...

ipd
08/21/2018, 02:56 PM
You mean you've never seen a VX's light burn out, or you've never seen a blinker announce it?

The notification has been standard for years upon years. Blinker modules have been based around voltage draw, which means that it doesn't cycle until the light is fully lit. LED has reduced current draw, which the module falsely interprets as a lack of current draw, and thus cycles more rapidly.

Literally ever car I've ever owned had a rapidly cycling blinker when a bulb burnt out; VX isn't any different.

Thelgord
08/21/2018, 03:40 PM
I have seen blinkers out before. I had no idea the rapid flash was what it was doing to indicate that. I personally have never had a blinker go out. Head light sure, even a brake light or a running light. Never had a blinker light go out.

zamafir
05/07/2020, 02:44 PM

Also, do you have a link to where I can buy this relay? Thanks!

I just bought LED bulbs with resistors built into them on Amazon and replaced every interior and exterior bulb, save the license plate lights, with them, no hyper flash, they look great - super bright, but are more expensive than a relay swap.