PDA

View Full Version : Tire with slow leak

WyrreJ
11/21/2003, 11:38 PM
My right rear tire has developed a very slow leak. Seems to take about 2 weeks to go from full to noticeably low. It is a stock 18" tire.

Can this kind of problem be easily fixed? If so, any suggestions on how to do it myself or how much I should expect to pay to get it fixed?

ocwiley
11/22/2003, 01:29 AM
my wife had the same problem on her car. it was a leaking valve stem small $$ to fix.
i also need so help! i bought some mich. 275/55/18 for my stock rims and the tire shop could get it to pop the bead!? does anyone else have this problem with puting on oversized tire?

Triathlete
11/22/2003, 07:16 AM
A slow leaking tire can be repaired (patched) by any tire shop as long as the hole/leak is not in the sidewall. Around here it costs 8-10 dollars. Much cheaper than a new tire.

Cobrajet
11/24/2003, 05:04 PM
I've had success with the Monkey Grip plug kit that you can buy in any Kmart and it only takes five minutes once you locate the leak. I probably plugged my old Bridgestones 4 or 5 times in the last year. They were very susceptable to nails and screws when the treads got low.

SPAZZ
11/24/2003, 07:45 PM
had a slow leak on one of my Swampers. Problem was is that when I "air down" to 12-15 psi to go wheeling, the bead is vunerable to obstructions such as dirt, sticks, weeds, mud...etc
These cause it not to seal properly and after you inflate it leaks slowly....mine started out to go flat after one month...then one week...then everyday...then overnight.
Went down to tire shop and had them remove the tire from the rim, clean the bead area, and then put sealent all around the rim where tire sits and then remount and balance. Problem solved!!!

VX crazy
11/24/2003, 07:55 PM
You know, you can get that fixed for free at a lot of tire places! I would get it fixed before it causes a problem! You know it looses air, so I would take it in where they can find the leak!

SGT.BATGUANO
11/25/2003, 10:27 PM
You could always try the " spray bottle of soapy water" technique to locate the source of the leak.