PDA

View Full Version : Going across country

Marlin
07/30/2014, 10:13 AM
Finally got everything sorted out. We are heading to Bremerton, WA this coming Monday, 4AUG14. Movers will be here Thur, Fri and Mon. We will drive up to Ohio and then across I70 to stop in KC, MO and then to Moab for a few days. I will be meeting up with a member in KS somewhere, if someone wants to meet for lunch or something anywhere between Newport News, Va and Bremerton, WA, hit me up. Even better, feel free to come down and do some light/medium wheeling in Moab! Can't be too crazy, I am towing a 2000lb trailer behind the VX all the way there. She is not gonna be happy with me, but I did all the maintenance on her, new plugs, diffs, oil change and greased the zerks. I have 7 quarts of mobile 1, should be good to go. I will be the Tan LineX VX in the right lane going 25mph up the big hills and stopping every 3 hrs for fuel:)

YellowVX
07/31/2014, 06:31 AM
I just drove I-70 from Utah to Dayton, OH on 9-10 July. Over all, there wasn't any major issues. Illinois is doing construction every 10 miles (it seems). Bring plenty on cd's or pack your iPOD full of music for the ride through Kansas and eastern Colorado. Watch out fopr the steep grades in Western CO. The scenery is very serene and spectacular.

VXorado
07/31/2014, 06:49 AM
Let me know if/when you drive through Denver... If the timing works out, I would be interested in getting together to talk shop. :cool:

Marlin
07/31/2014, 06:53 AM
I will shoot through denver probably on the 15th or 16th of August. We drove norfolk, to KC, then to dayton, then back to norfolk in June. Illinois was a PITA. THis will be the second cross country trip for the VX. Only time I have ever seen the old girl blow smoke was going through CO, the ascent after heading west bound through Vale, she started slowing down so I stomped on it at about 55mpg. Little puff a smoke and back to 75mph...lol. Not this time, not with the trailer anyway:)

I will post more details as they come in. WOuld be cool to setup a few mini meets!

JAMAS
07/31/2014, 06:56 AM
I am about 20 minutes south of Dayton. I am crazy busy this week, but maybe I'll have an afternoon or evening free for a burger/beer if you're interested.

Marlin
07/31/2014, 07:00 AM
Didn't know you were out there. My brother and parents live in Huber Heights and Fairborn respectively. I will hit you up. I think we are going to meet in KY, beattyville area for a few days for some camping and shooting and then head up to Dayton.

Y33TREKker
07/31/2014, 07:42 AM
I see there is already some familiarity with Illinois interstates in this thread ;) , but I'll throw in a few more options just for variety and choice.

It looks like it would add about 50 miles to the trip, but rather than catching 70 out of Ohio, you could always drop down to 64 for driving through Indiana and Illinois. In my experience anyway, 64 is always in better condition than 70. It has to do with the usual weather patterns here in IL, because in the winter, if there is snow on the ground, it usually starts on a line about as far north as Effingham (and as a byproduct, that is where the roads start getting rougher in the state).

And speaking of Effingham, I just checked the ILDOT website and it appears that 70 is currently being worked on in that area for miles on either side and another stretch farther to the west, while 64 just has a few miles of construction at the IL/IN border and a mile of so near Mount Vernon, IL.

Overall, 70 has a few less hills than 64 though, which would make for an easier drive for the VX, but 64 has better scenery along the way than 70...unless of course you LIKE pretty much non-stop cornfields/farmland. If THAT is the case, 70 is the route! ;)

And depending on when you'd be driving through, I-64 would only put you about 45 minutes away from me at that point for meeting to grab a bite to eat. I-70 would be more like two hours.

Either way, safe and trouble-free travels.

JAMAS
07/31/2014, 07:48 AM
Didn't know you were out there. My brother and parents live in Huber Heights and Fairborn respectively. I will hit you up. I think we are going to meet in KY, beattyville area for a few days for some camping and shooting and then head up to Dayton.

My wife grew up around Huber Heights.

JAMAS
07/31/2014, 07:51 AM
And speaking of Effingham.....

You should try the Effingbeef....its just as good.

...I too drove across country from Ohio to Moab this past may and yes...I made that joke at least twice....

....My copilot didn't think I was as hillarious as I did. :)

Marlin
07/31/2014, 08:07 AM
Class of 1997, Wayne Highschool:)

As for going across 64, done. I will shoot down 71 and catch 64 then jump back on I70 west of St Louis. I will be heading across that way probably on the 10th. My brother wants to take my dad and I on a bourbon tour in KY on the 9th. Should make for a fun drive on the 10th...lol.

Itinerary summary for those near my route:
-4-5Aug, leave Norfolk, probably stop the night in Charleston, WV.
Hit either KY or OH on the 5th/6th. Meet up with Jamas for a quick chat!
-Be in the Dayton area on the 8th/9th
-10th head to KC, MO via I64...hopefully meet up with Y33TREKker for lunch!
-16th-Leave KC and head to Moab, meeting up with devinlea somewhere in KS along I70 for parts exchange and another VX meet (he will be VXless, but still part of the fam)
-17th in route to Moab, hopefully catch VXorado for some photos and chat!
-Arrive in Moab on the 18thish
-21st or 22nd leave Moab. Really want to do some rafting on the Colorado pending time, money and if we can board the dog somewhere.
Head up 84 through Salt Lake and up to 82 and then on to Bremerton/tacoma area.

This may end up being the coolest photo album/trip ever with the VX!

I will post up details as they come:
My cell is 6198699757 so you can shoot me a text or whatever as we go along.

I am not smart enough to figure out how to image the map on here from google, but here is the link for the entire route I will take:
https://goo.gl/maps/C49yt

Y33TREKker
07/31/2014, 10:14 AM
...My brother wants to take my dad and I on a bourbon tour in KY on the 9th. Should make for a fun drive on the 10th...lol.
I've just made two road trips in the last two weeks with my brother from Western KY to the Cincinnati area on potential car buying trips. Both times on the way to CN, he's mentioned stopping on the way back to tour a distillery or two, but both times we've been driving back through too late in the day to be able to take the tour(s). Hopefully, you're schedule will work out better.

IIRC, it was on the Jim Beam tour where they offer two or three free samples, even of the REALLY old/good stuff, so if you go there, be sure to use your samples to try the high $$$ stuff.

Marlin
07/31/2014, 10:38 AM
I think this was designed to be a booze and cruise tour, my SIL is driving us. not sure where we are going, but I know it wasn't Jim Beam, it was one of those craft bourbon places. Not sure if I am going or not, I quit drinking a few years ago, and occasionally have a drink, and definitely peppermint schnapps when I am winter backpacking:)

Dumke
07/31/2014, 01:18 PM
Now THATs a road trip. Be sure to post plenty of pictures

Marlin
07/31/2014, 01:21 PM
Will do. It is just about as far as one can go across the US...lol. Short of Florida to WA.

IndianaVX
07/31/2014, 02:32 PM
Well, depending on where you cross Indiana, It would be nice to buy you lunch somewhere. I'm south of Indy, but looks like you may be going down a more southern route. If we don't meet, have a enjoy your trip and be safe! And i agree with above, not much to see in Kansas....set the cruise, and take a nap! Well, the smell from the cattle lots every now and then is something to experience!

Marlin
07/31/2014, 02:41 PM
We love the smell of cattle! I am from rural Missouri, my grandparents owned a huge dairy and pig farm. I don't mind KS, verizon keeps good coverage, good enough that last time I streamed pandora from KC to WA and never lost signal except a few times in the mountains!

Mile High VX
07/31/2014, 05:04 PM
Let me know if/when you drive through Denver... If the timing works out, I would be interested in getting together to talk shop. :cool:

I'll join if I'm in town...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

YellowVX
08/01/2014, 06:59 AM
I was born and raised in Troy. Unfortunetly, my job forces me to move every 2-3 or so.

Marlin
08/04/2014, 08:27 PM
No internet for the last 4 days....crazy. Movers didn't finish loading until 8pm. Took a semi plus a uhaul...boo! I figure the trailer is around 2000lbs or so, will get exact weight tomorrow, but she tows like a boss! So glad I got the heavier OME springs. No sag, no bounce. Farts a little smoke on downshifts for uphill portions, but otherwise, cruising at 65, 2200rpm, purring like a kitten. Burned half a tank in 100 miles. I can live with that. Tomorrow is the WV turnpike, not looking forward to the downhill portions, but the electric brakes on the trailer seem to be working just fine.
Will be off the grid for the next 3 or 4 days in BFE KY. Yippee, guns and camping!

Marlin
08/08/2014, 08:15 PM
Good times. Trailers weighed in at 2500 lbs. Getting 12mpg at 65-70mph. No issues. Made it to KC today. Ended up leaving ky early due to weather. Heading to moab on wed. Gonna swap the prop shaft and top off tranny this weekend.

Marlin
08/10/2014, 09:55 AM
Significant change in route. My uncle is a retired truck driver and practically ordered me to not drive the vx through co on i70 towing the trailer. He thinks rhe brakes have no chance on those 15 mile decents. I am now gonna go south via 54 and come across i40 to albuquerque. Then up to moab from there. Adds 4-5 hrs but will save wear and tear and probably only afd 2-3 hrs based on a lot less moutains. Anyonebin the alburqurque area want to meet up, shoot me a pm.

Mile High VX
08/10/2014, 10:30 AM
We'll miss you but that's the right call...safe travels.

YellowVX
08/12/2014, 09:52 PM
The re-reoute was probably for the better. Did you hit US550 just north of ABQ and slithered through the hills of NM / CO and UT up to Moab? The worst part of the Rockies was from Vail to Denver. I had a thunderstorm to contend with when I drove through there at the beginning of this month. Ughhh!

Marlin
08/14/2014, 07:06 PM
I did take that route. It was awesome!
I am sitting in Moab typing this:)
Did the family proud. 2500 miles, 2500 lbs of trailer. No problems, sitting in Moab posting pictures...lol. I swapped out to a new prop shaft and did a drain and fill on the tranny in KC,MO. Running around 11-12mpg. Shell gas is the way to go, hands down. Burns very little oil with shell, if I used something else, I was adding a quart every fillup. I have used 6 quarts of mobil 1, this burning oil thing is getting pricey, but it seems shell gas is the answer, when I can find it.
Gonna hang out here until Tuesday. Probably go rafting on Monday.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/vx_moab.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/20140814_192456.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/20140814_192441.jpg

YellowVX
08/14/2014, 07:45 PM
Glad you made it to Moab ok. Once you get settled in up in Washington, locate the Shell stations there and start using their fuel. You might get special discounts if you open a Shell credit card if you prefer to do so.

I had a similar positive result with Shell fuel with my first car. It had a Chevy 305 V-8 with 105K. When I used Shell premium, the engine wouldn't make the pinging sound.

Marlin
08/16/2014, 01:59 PM
Boo! New master cylinde failed on hells revenge. Right at the entrance to the escalator. Drove the rest of the way out with no brakes, e brake is now toast...lol. driving 4 hrs tomorrow to pick up a new one. Closest one until tue. You have never wheeled until you do it with no brakes.

VXorado
08/17/2014, 07:56 AM
That's too bad about the brakes... I would say stopping is important on hell's revenge. :yesy:

The trailer looks good!

Ala5ka
08/17/2014, 08:13 AM
Always hated breaking stuff i.e. rock crawling...Went the adventure vehicle route as well, now I just spend my money on fancy camping gadgets and front end parts from going much too fast on fire roads :)

Marlin
08/19/2014, 09:23 PM
Stopped in idaho, about 50 miles south of twin falls. Another adventure day. Cracked a weld on the hitch in moab. Stopped at 4 wheel parts in slc, they sent me to fat bobs garage in layton. Best stop ever!
They fixed the hitch, 6 beads, will never fail again. After the ey closed, we were connecting the trailer and they asked if we wanted to tour the shop...hell yes i do. We took the dog through the entire shop, they showed us all their toys and projects. Hung out there for an hour and they gave us tshirts and a bunch of decals. They crawled all over the vx. That is why they asked us to stay, he said it was obvious i did some serious wheeling based on the e dented skid plates, gas tank plate is bashed, sliders are rashed, tires are rashed and so on. They thought it was cool that it wasnt just a mall crawler. Coolest store crew ever. I got the truck fixed, a hi lift full length cover and a tow strap bag for 90 bucks. Took him 45 minuters to do tje repair. Great times on our adventure.