PDA

View Full Version : Checking Trans fluid

ahdoman
08/02/2014, 03:03 PM
I've read all of the threads I could on how to check trans fluid so I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right.
1) Car is on level ground
2) Start car and with foot on brake run through all the gears and back to neutral.
3) Car is idling in neutral when I climb under to remove the fill plug.
3) Then I remove the fill plug (not the drainplug ) and about a cup of fluid came out then fluid continues to "weap" and drip as the engine continues to idle. Does that mean I'm now at the right level? Was the trans over filled?

I've been chasing down a trans fluid leak and there's been a decent puddle on the garage floor (about 3" in diameter) after I drive it. (It's dripping from puddling in the cross member so I know there's more in there as well). It just seems like it should have lost a lot more fluid over the past couple of weeks and I expected it to be low. I didn't expect anything to come out when I opened the fill plug.

Any body have any ideas?

Ldub
08/02/2014, 03:57 PM
Was it at the correct temp when you checked it?

It's possible the last person to lay wrenches upon it, overfilled it...:_confused

That's all I've got.

ahdoman
08/02/2014, 04:15 PM
Temp was a guess. It sat for about 2 hours since I last drove it. I was able to handle everything with rubber gloves on so it wasn't too hot. I guess my real question is, if the trans is in park and the engine is in idle will fluid continue to drip out just due to circulation? I would assume so.

LittleBeast
08/02/2014, 07:59 PM
I would let the fluid cool overnight and try it again soon. Temperature gauge is cheaper then a new tranny :-)

RodL
08/03/2014, 04:14 AM
Shouldn't the temperature be at operating range when checking? All the cars with dipsticks say right on the stick to only check when "HOT".

Rod

ahdoman
08/03/2014, 07:58 AM
The specification in the service manual says to make sure the coolant is between 90 and 135 degrees.

Mile High VX
08/03/2014, 07:59 AM
Remember that the TOD uses trans fluid as well, so you might check your seals and gaskets on that fine piece of the puzzle...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Ldub
08/03/2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

I use my hand on the pan trick. If I can leave my hand on it for 3-5 seconds without having to remove it from contact, the temp is about right. Any warmer or cooler is no bueno..:yesgray:

RodL
08/04/2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Going to change my fluid in the next few weeks. Any suggestions on what type to put in? Had it changed at a transmission shop two years ago and they recommended annual changes. I tried to schedule an appointment this winter while in the area but couldn't find a time when I had a day off and they had a hoist free. It was a 75 mile round trip so I wanted to be able to wait for them to do the service.

Rod

Ldub
08/04/2014, 08:11 AM
IMO, if you're using a good brand of synthetic ATF (Amsoil in my case) annual flushes are not necessary. If ya wanna drop the pan & change the filter every year or two, topping it up with some fresh juice, that's prolly still a little overkill, but is good for peace of mind.
If using Amsoil S-S (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATFQT-EA), I usually go 60-80k between flushes.

But that's just one mans opinion...;)