PDA

View Full Version : transmission jerks

Baldwin
08/07/2014, 02:33 PM
Ok...weird. This happened 2 or 3 times. 1st time was last year. Normal driving and then when slowing down as it's downshifting, i feel a big jerk. Then starting back up as it upshifts, it jerks again. I thought, "Dang! Tranny Problem!". Got home, shutdown, and the next morning back to normal. No problem. Most recent, last week...same thing. I decide to pull over the side after it happened a few times. Turned off the ignition. Waited 1 minute. Restart...no problem. any ideas?

nfpgasmask
08/08/2014, 10:04 AM
Are you in Power Mode?

I would start with a fluid/filter change and see what happens.

Bart

tom4bren
08/08/2014, 10:11 AM
Sounds computer related. Try to check all connectors between the tranny & the 'puter.

LittleBeast
08/08/2014, 12:55 PM
Honestly having just removed my old tranny and installed another working one, if I were in your shoes, I would first order a solenoid kit for a 90-99 Isuzu transmission, but you will also need one solenoid from a 00+ Isuzu transmission kit, and then order a gasket set that comes with a new filter for the tranny, and 2 gallons of synthetic tranny fluid.

Then you simply remove the mid cross member, drain fluid, remove both tranny pans, clean pans, remove filter, remove old solenoids one at a time and replace with new ones from kit, then notice that one of the solenoids in the small pan area does not match the 90-99 tranny kit, this is the one that comes from the newer 00+ kit. Once new solenoids are installed install new filter, install new gaskets as you replace pans, only hand tighten pan bolts, they do not need to be torqued or you will strip heads, I used one finger on the wrench to tighten and have no leaks. Then fill up with fluid. Doing this process will allow you to see how much metal is on your magnet inside the large pan and address the situation better. If there is not much metal then possibly the new solenoids will fix the problem, if there is quite a but of metal you might be in need of at least a new torque converter if not a rebuild.

But if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing the torque converter might as well try and find another working tranny to put back up in there, that is how much you will never want to work with those torque converter bolts, haha :-)

JAMAS
08/08/2014, 12:55 PM
I've asked this before because I had a VERY similar problem early on that was backed up by a TSB...

do you have/use a remote starter?

Lfen
08/08/2014, 07:19 PM
Had similar problem with the same symptoms. Turned out that I was approximately 1/2 quart low. After adding the 1/2 quart all problems went away. I would recommend adding Lucas transmission fluid if indeed you are low before I spent more $ on other fixes.

Baldwin
08/08/2014, 10:54 PM
Honestly having just removed my old tranny and installed another working one, if I were in your shoes, I would first order a solenoid kit for a 90-99 Isuzu transmission, but you will also need one solenoid from a 00+ Isuzu transmission kit, and then order a gasket set that comes with a new filter for the tranny, and 2 gallons of synthetic tranny fluid.

Then you simply remove the mid cross member, drain fluid, remove both tranny pans, clean pans, remove filter, remove old solenoids one at a time and replace with new ones from kit, then notice that one of the solenoids in the small pan area does not match the 90-99 tranny kit, this is the one that comes from the newer 00+ kit. Once new solenoids are installed install new filter, install new gaskets as you replace pans, only hand tighten pan bolts, they do not need to be torqued or you will strip heads, I used one finger on the wrench to tighten and have no leaks. Then fill up with fluid. Doing this process will allow you to see how much metal is on your magnet inside the large pan and address the situation better. If there is not much metal then possibly the new solenoids will fix the problem, if there is quite a but of metal you might be in need of at least a new torque converter if not a rebuild.

But if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing the torque converter might as well try and find another working tranny to put back up in there, that is how much you will never want to work with those torque converter bolts, haha :-)

Wow that's detailed. Not power mode. no remote starter. Not low on fluid...but could probably use a flush/replace. Does seem computer related since it seems like I can reboot by turning it on and back off.

Baldwin
08/08/2014, 10:55 PM
I've asked this before because I had a VERY similar problem early on that was backed up by a TSB...

do you have/use a remote starter?

TSB?

creeg
08/12/2014, 05:32 PM
I also had an ongoing problem with my solenoids. You can read about it all here
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23124

Intermittent, hard to recreate, real pain in the *** annoying. Mine had a missed shift as well, which happened at a specific speed (ie, a shift point that it would miss). But I suspect that more than one of my solenoids was failing, as I had jerky downshifts too. Replaced them all and so far no issues.

That may or may not be the problem: check mounts as well.

But read through this, to see if any of it sounds familiar
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23124

JAMAS
08/13/2014, 06:27 AM
TSB?

Tech Service Bulletin

Read the bottom paragraph

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/starterkits.gif (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25003)

v2
08/13/2014, 10:18 PM
Do you get a check engine light? My sisters VX is having a similar issue and is complaining about the speed sensor. Using a elm-327 and my trusty Android you can see the speed bouncing between 20-100 mph every second even when at a standstill. "Rebooting" the VX fixes it for a bit. The sensor is petty expensive (over $250 for a Napa special) and you have to disconnect the auto shifter from the tranny to get to it.