PDA

View Full Version : This looks Interesting!

jmayer40
08/16/2014, 12:00 AM
Got an email, followed link.. Instead of Vinyl wrap, it's paintable. Still deciding if I want to stay with silver. They have a lighter silver, but the gray looks good too... Check it out... It's a sister company of ALSA paints I like..
http://paint-wrap.com/

ahdoman
08/16/2014, 12:15 AM
That looks really cool. I'm in LA so I might have to stop by to see how real it is.

VXorado
08/16/2014, 08:49 AM
Gloss plasti-dip, Cool idea!

...this seems like something I would do. :thumbup:

Y33TREKker
08/16/2014, 09:45 AM
Thinking I might try the Nevada Silver on my car.

Reading the application guide, it talks about applying a few coats of base coat, then a few coats of Topcoat Color. Do you guys think they're just talking about their "Standard" and "Metallic" products?

And if I went that far, I'd probably top it off with a few coats of their "Clear Protect".

It's not like we'd be out that much to try it anyway if we took advantage of their half off sale this Monday and Tuesday.

jmayer40
08/16/2014, 02:22 PM
Rado, Thought of the ease it would be. Other than the wrap you did...Much easier. Looks simple to repair also, just touch up...

DaGambit69
08/16/2014, 06:47 PM
I wonder what came first, plasti-dip or paint wrap...

Hades
08/17/2014, 01:26 AM
I knew I should have capitalized on this idea 10 years ago, I'm seeing shops that do it for business everyday making decent money. Plus there is the DIY portion of the business. Another idea stolen by the masses, now when will somebody crazy enough get around to making the tornado capsule that you ride in for fun I thought of in high school...

VXorado
08/17/2014, 07:40 AM
Rado, Thought of the ease it would be. Other than the wrap you did...Much easier. Looks simple to repair also, just touch up...

I didn't research too much into this product but if it applied the same as plasti-dip, it would be much easier to install than a vinyl wrap. The two reason I didn't try plasti-dip before was the VERY matte texture and too prone to scratching off.

I like how they added the gloss/satin to this product... it just needs to be tested for durability.

I'll be interested to see the results on your VX! :_beer:

Mile High VX
08/17/2014, 08:47 PM
Interesting that the application guide only list spray on with professional equipment in the guide...no instructions for rolling or using a paint brush.

Also says if you leave it on over 6 months you have to respray the vehicle for easy removal...:confused:

jmayer40
08/20/2014, 10:37 PM
Just ordered 2 qts Nevada silver, 1 protect coat , 1 black standard. Now the black going to experiment on cladding. Didn't want to buy a gallon. so only 2 quarts to cover vx.. we shall see. Hopefully stays warm out for a bit longer. Wonder if I could use it as undercoating hahaha

ahdoman
08/22/2014, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure you want to use that on cladding. The product adheres to and peels off of a smooth slick surface. If you spray that on the cladding you might never get it off. Especially if it gets ragged looking. I'd recommend trying a test patch first.

VehiCrow
08/23/2014, 12:13 PM
Looks something like this site.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

jmayer40
08/23/2014, 04:57 PM
I have bought Plastidip for tools. and have opened can and it's like silly putty. Although that website does look interesting, I guess i'll have to experiment... trial and error...We shall see.

Y33TREKker
08/24/2014, 07:54 AM
The videos on the paint-wrap.com site made it look like spray-on application wouldn't be all that difficult provided a person has the right spray guns. The videos just made me wonder how much material could be saved by either rolling or brushing it on as opposed to what is lost in over spray.

I know on the website it says that two gallons would be required to spray a small or midsized car, but when I asked one of the reps how much material it would take to spray a full set of wheels, I was told that even that would take a full gallon. LIke Mile High said though, no indication whether a smooth finished surface can be achieved rolling or brushing on the new metallic wrap material.

FlyingV77
08/24/2014, 12:20 PM
There was a pic on the site of a black C5-R (i think) that was done with a roller.

Y33TREKker
08/24/2014, 01:37 PM
There was a pic on the site of a black C5-R (i think) that was done with a roller.
Did that look to you also to be the matte black wrap material that was advertised as being roll/brush-on capable?

FlyingV77
08/24/2014, 06:46 PM
yah it was on the same website that the OP wrote about.

jmayer40
09/04/2014, 04:18 PM
Well, I finally got it today. I hate the no tracking number. Instructions are copies of what u see online. the black came in 4 8oz. bottles (2-basecoat & 2-topcoat) ... I may use as a under coating..
Since the VX is less than an SUV, because of the cladding & Glass coverage, I only ordered 2 qts. And 1 qt of topcoat clear.
Now waiting for a hot day...Sorry not in a warm climate right now. Chicagoland...

Y33TREKker
09/04/2014, 04:54 PM
I saw that the page on the ALSA website has been changed to say that the metallic wrap product "can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on almost any surface".

Aside from removing a few emblems, hood-mounted windshield washer nozzles, etc, to be able to get some of the product on ALL areas of the paint, application shouldn't be all that difficult.

And except for a few areas on my car that come to mind that would be most easily reached with a brush, I'm thinking a foam roller would probably make for the easiest, most even coating.

jmayer40
09/05/2014, 04:40 AM
Working in Caterpillar, they use foam Whizz rollers for touch up. Good idea.

Y33TREKker
09/05/2014, 09:46 AM
Working in Caterpillar, they use foam Whizz rollers for touch up. Good idea.
Any chance a few of those high-dollar Caterpillar Whizz's could make it out of the building in your lunch box and down state into my mailbox?

:smilewink

FlyingV77
09/05/2014, 02:09 PM
In one of the vids online they show painting over emblems and then cutting them out with a razor

Mile High VX
09/05/2014, 02:22 PM
Any chance a few of those high-dollar Caterpillar Whizz's could make it out of the building in your lunch box and down state into my mailbox?

:smilewink

You can pick up a 4" Whizz foam roller at Wal-Mart for about $7...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

Y33TREKker
09/05/2014, 03:27 PM
You can pick up a 4" Whizz foam roller at Wal-Mart for about $7...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:
Apparently, Caterpillar is getting cheap like most of the rest of big business these days...

jmayer40
09/06/2014, 07:36 PM
They use 2 sizes, I noticed they are using 2" now. But I still grabbed 4". I'm a painter for other than Cat, But I still can get some. How many do you really want? hahaha

jmayer40
09/06/2014, 07:38 PM
Just thought I might do the Insert with the black. Once I repair the anchors on it..