PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a New Windshield

johnnyapollo
08/18/2014, 02:18 AM
My truck was parked at a Publix yesterday - when I finished shopping with the wife and returned to the truck there was a 12 inch crack extending from the passenger side roof pillar towards the center. No idea why - no obvious chips in the glass from impact. :mad:

In any case, I looked at a few threads but most were several years old - any recommendations on where to best get it repaired? I remember one thread about a second option for a windshield that had tinting across the top? Any help would be appreciated.

-- John

Lfen
08/18/2014, 05:04 AM
RockAuto - $128 +

Mile High VX
08/18/2014, 05:48 AM
I had mine replaced about 15 months ago by NOVUS Auto Glass. They are nationwide and probably in your area.

I've been happy with it and insurance covered it for my deductible.

They came to my house and put it in, but it's a much better product than Safelite in my opinion based on the research that I did prior to deciding on them.

It does have the tint band across the top...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

ALC1717
08/18/2014, 07:20 AM
John: In NY I Had Mine Replaced By Safelite Auto Glass With The Tint On Top

blacksambo
08/18/2014, 08:35 PM
Yes, this piece seems to be readily available for about $300. This leads me to believe it fits something else other than the VX because it's so widely available.

VX KAT
08/18/2014, 08:45 PM
I had mine replaced once with Safe-Lite (had the tinted top), then again later by a local private shop and it was a Nippon with no tint. IIRC that's the OEM brand and the way they came originally. Both were readily available and both did a great job installing.....but since all my driving is in this rocky desert terrain, either on 65mph highway or dirt /rocky roads...windshield replacement is a BIG biz around here.

I recall reading here about 3-4 months ago that a few people were having a terrible finding replacements....anybody recall that?

tom4bren
08/19/2014, 04:45 AM
Johnny,

I had mine replaced at ASAP autoglass & was very pleased with the results. I checked & there are several in Atlanta. They have very good prices & are supposed to be a much better product than Safelite.

Tom

MSHardeman
08/19/2014, 08:28 AM
A word of caution, no matter what company you use or which windshield (tinted or not) you go with. Make sure that the people installing the windshield use plastic tools and NOT metal tools. A few members had their windshields replaced, only to have leaks start up a while after the replacement. The leading theory for these leaks is that metal tools where used during the windshield replacement, which scraped the paint off of the body panels allowing rust to form and either rusted all the way through, or break the seal of the windshield allowing water in.

Mile High VX
08/19/2014, 08:48 AM
A word of caution, no matter what company you use or which windshield (tinted or not) you go with. Make sure that the people installing the windshield use plastic tools and NOT metal tools. A few members had their windshields replaced, only to have leaks start up a while after the replacement. The leading theory for these leaks is that metal tools where used during the windshield replacement, which scraped the paint off of the body panels allowing rust to form and either rusted all the way through, or break the seal of the windshield allowing water in.

Great point. I requested this when NOVUS did mine. They told me that they only use plastic tools on items near the windshield seat for that reason...I was very please with them...:bgwo:

MSHardeman
08/19/2014, 11:53 AM
Earl, I had my windshield replaced by NOVUS here in Carbondale and they said the same thing (regarding plastic tools). As a matter of fact, when I went in to get an estimate from them, the owner had just gotten back from some big windshield installers conference and he was WAY too excited about windshields. I guess if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. That guy must feel like he's on a permanent vacation. :thumbup:

blacksambo
08/26/2014, 09:00 PM
The VX windshield must fit a bunch of other cars; what are they?

VXCanada
08/27/2014, 02:24 PM
Just did an online quote from www.glass.net and came to $246.77 in my area (NY state). No info on brand, etc.

T.

VXobsession
08/27/2014, 02:29 PM
Seems like a great price to me...but then again, I've never had one replaced.
I just know that when I had to replace the windshield in my Dodge Intrepid, it cost me $600.

blacksambo
08/27/2014, 09:01 PM
Still...it has to fit something else. Once we figure that out the price will come down.

ND92
08/28/2014, 08:48 AM
I just got quoted $900 for a windshield plus install. The windshield itself is almost $500. If anyone has a line on one that's cheaper and can be shipped to canada please PM me. I need one badly.

circmand
08/28/2014, 08:59 AM
I have a line on a used one but they have been having issues shipping to Canada. He is checking I will let you know but it appears there are plenty of new in the USA

VXCanada
08/28/2014, 09:09 AM
Check with other installers, even Toronto isn't that expensive...

T.

blacksambo
08/28/2014, 08:26 PM
I think it's the same windshield as the Pontiac Aztec......

Monstertrucker
04/04/2016, 05:19 PM
I think it's the same windshield as the Pontiac Aztec......

You could be right........ they do look remarkably similar patterns.

After browsing a few dozen photos of the wrongest vehicle ever, the aforesaid Aztek, someone has photoshopped a VX into one!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3857437/2004-pontiac-aztek/

From here...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pontiac+Aztek&tbm=isch&imgil=zOircTvTXnIDOM%253A%253BJtSc7_9WgbbF2M%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.roadandtrack.com%25252 Fcar-culture%25252Fa6357%25252Fbob-lutz-tells-the-inside-story-of-the-pontiac-aztek-debacle%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=zOircTvTXnIDOM%253A%252CJtSc7_9WgbbF2M%252C_&usg=__oD9BuN0dCVx3X1dWtYSW2pH4MUs%3D&biw=1280&bih=590&ved=0ahUKEwjPwKafj_bLAhWHOxoKHTU4B8AQyjcIKQ&ei=YPYCV8-QHYf3aLXwnIAM#imgrc=wPbsJrejQRfbZM%3A