PDA

View Full Version : Possible Purchase??? Help me out, I'm a noob..

mattferguson14
10/15/2014, 02:51 PM
So today is the first time I've even heard of a VehiCross. I am shopping for a small off-road capable SUV. I really like the looks of this thing but don't know a lot about them. I've seen some rave reviews online. What do you think? The dealer is asking $9990. It's a 2001 with 126000 miles. Is it worth the money? Do these do very well off road? Thanks in advance!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/forsale/2014/08/29/18/38/2001_isuzu_vehicross-pic-6499645538928053116-1024x768.jpeg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/forsale/2014/08/29/18/38/2001_isuzu_vehicross-pic-7369864062125238121-1024x768.jpeg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/forsale/2014/08/29/18/38/2001_isuzu_vehicross-pic-3877840753617853840-1024x768.jpeg

JoFotoz
10/15/2014, 03:20 PM
Yes...they off road VERY well :thumbup:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Getting_Air_sand_dunes_.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24816)

Thats expensive IMO, even with the nice extras.

I sent you a private message here too...
I may have one you'd like.....and its considerably cheaper :thumbup:

Jo

mattferguson14
10/15/2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Jo, Thanks for the reply. I think the price is a little high also, but remember, it's a used car lot, i'm sure there is some room for negotiation. I do like the mods and color of this one. I took a look at the one you have for sale. It looks nice, the problem is, I am trying to finance a vehicle in order to build my credit. I only have a couple grand cash down. I was thinking of trying to get this dealer down to $8500. I think that is reasonable with the mods and condition of the vehicle. But the limited availability of parts has me worried.. are these reliable? Any common issues I should know about? Thanks again in advance.

JoFotoz
10/15/2014, 03:43 PM
I'd say they are reliable..but they have their quirks.

Common issues...

Windows not going up and down properly
Torn CV boots
OEM CD player is jammed
Rust, especially front bumper bar under front cladding.
Knobs on spare wheel cover broken .
Seats ripped, badly worn.
Steering wheel badly worn

..I'm sure there is more and others will chime in.

AND...many use oil.
This oil use isnt a BIG issue as long as you check every time you fill with gas...
...until you get used to your own cars 'use'

As for spares / parts...getting more difficult to find, so getting more expensive.
Cladding / glass / body panels are VX exclusive... but members here are always parting crashed / blown up ones out..
...so not impossible to find.

And..gas mileage suxs! Maybe 16-18 freeway with a lifted VX.

Cheers

jo

HeckaTrebeka
10/15/2014, 03:43 PM
The vehicross is quirky. Almost all of them share window up/down issues, and burn oil. Some have transmission mode selector problems, some are completely fine. The good part is that all the issues you may run across or have a question about are here on this site!

This site is the owner's guide to all things VX. Just use the search function wisely, and you'll find the fix for whatever might come up.

That said, you'll want to make sure the timing belt has been replaced on that VX before you purchase it. There's nothing worse than buying a used car with that many miles and a week later you're out of oil, the timing belt snaps, or the 'car won't go'.

mattferguson14
10/15/2014, 04:15 PM
I just talked to the guy, he said he'll give it to me for $6900! I think that's a deal, how about you?

JoFotoz
10/15/2014, 04:26 PM
Thats WAY more like it!

But..maybe even more scope if he said that right away!!

As HeckaTrebeka said...make sure Timing belt has been done :thumbup:

Make sure all TOD lights are activating properly... try the 4X4 of course!
...and check the things I pointed out.

Good luck ... she's a good looker.

Jo

JoFotoz
10/15/2014, 04:28 PM
BTW....

The roof rack bars and Cargo basket are worth $500

The bars sell used for $300-$350..they are hard to get :thumbup:

jo

VX KAT
10/15/2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Matt- I live up by Prescott!

A while back several of us got together and created a pretty detailed checklist to help buyers check some important details on a VX they're considering.
Here's the post with the detailed questionnaire, and you see the items Jo mentioned included on it.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=261869&postcount=10

IMHO, I think $6900 is still a tad on the high side with 126k.
With it being lifted, custom rims and the computer screen, it tells me somebody probably really loved it and put some time and money into it. I'd guess it it was used a bit on trails etc... (Just my guess), but I've seen many many VXs all dressed up and still weren't cared for properly, and rode hard and put away wet, so I'd go over this one with a fine tooth comb, and let the questionnaire guide you to some VX-specific quirks to look for.

I don't know if it's an Arizona car and has been one for a while or not, but I don't recognize it. (Not that I'd recognize every AZ VX!) Hopefull the CarFax or AutoCheck will give you some idea of where it's been over it's 13 yrs of life. If it was in the rust belt states definitely check for rust.

Unfortunately I had to sell my '01 last year, but I sure enjoyed the h3!! out of it for the 5 yrs I had it!

Triathlete
10/15/2014, 07:32 PM
That VX looks familiar. I think the previous owner was a member here (though it may have been just to sale it). If you get the last 4 digits of the vin# you can search here and maybe get a little history.

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 07:47 AM
Well, I bought it!! I got a deal on it because I work in the automotive remarketing business for Manheim and we do a ton of business for the dealer i got it from. I also helped him out with transporting a vehicle from Las Vegas to AZ. Now the bad news:

The front drive axle has been removed. The dealer told me that the previous owner removed it when he did the lift in order to increase gas mileage. I worked a repair into the deal. The dealer has to buy and install the new shaft, AND ensure that the 4 wheel drive is functioning properly. I got it on paper so i should be good to go. He also showed me several other lifted pick ups on his lot that also had the front shaft removed for the same reason. There was also a dent on the spare tire cover that you cannot see in the pictures.

The good news:
This thing is sweet!! the interior has some fine wear lines but no rips or tears. Other than the dent, the exterior is flawless. The tires are almost brand new and run $275 each and the wheels are very nice. Someone took care of this think. It has a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust installed (not sure what brand, but it roars!). Engine runs strong and I haven't noticed anything wrong with it yet, other than the windows go up a bit slow and sound like they are straining a bit. There are tons of toggles and switches in this thing that I have no idea what they do. Should be fun finding out. I may post some pics and ask if you guys know what they do. The suspension is solid. I'm not sure what kind of lift is on it. I plan on getting underneath it this weekend and finding out the particulars.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. got it for $6990 plus tax title and license. The big win is that i have pretty crappy credit and the dealer was able to get me done with a low payment. Now i can start rebuilding my credit and that was the real end game.

bartmanS4
10/16/2014, 09:09 AM
Congrats! You're gonna love VX ownership. What are the last four digits of the VIN?
Also, the front prop shaft is particular to the TOD Isuzus but there are plenty of TOD Troopers in junkyards to source from. The problem may be that the CV joints were making a lot of noise and binding and this is why the PO removed the prop shaft.
Scott

circmand
10/16/2014, 09:24 AM
There are tons of toggles and switches in this thing that I have no idea what they do. Should be fun finding out. .

One of those switched might activate the ejector seat.

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 09:39 AM
last 4 digits of the VIN are 1092. If the front CVs were making noise and binding, how hard is the fix? Is it a matter of replacing the front CVs or will it require a new dif?

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 09:41 AM
One of those switched might activate the ejector seat.

That's what I'm afraid of. Either that or it may transform into a battle ready robot. or self destruct.. lol

JoFotoz
10/16/2014, 09:47 AM
Probably just outer half shafts...

last 4 digits of the VIN are 1092. If the front CVs were making noise and binding, how hard is the fix? Is it a matter of replacing the front CVs or will it require a new dif?

...if its the CV's making noise.

Not a super hard job, maybe 3 hours max first side..learning curve!
Then 2 hours other side.

Here is a thread regarding replacement axles....

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24109&highlight=cv+axle

BE AWARE THOUGH...these are only good for light/moderate off roading...
...NOT for REAL hard core Rock crawling etc.

OEM, if you can find them...
are the best if you intend to beat up on your VX Off Road !

Jo

bartmanS4
10/16/2014, 10:21 AM
I show that VX being linked to four different members on this site from one time or another. The one with the most posts and pics by a large margin is Raque Thomas in Kentucky. Here is the profile:

Raque Thomas (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=584)

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 10:25 AM
nice, thanks for the info. I actually just spoke with the repair guy at the dealership. The salesman didn't know what he was talking about. The repair guy said he removed the shaft personally because it was making noise. He said the bearings or joints on the shaft itself were bad. They are replacing it with a brand new part from Isuzu.

VX KAT
10/16/2014, 02:48 PM
Last owner that registered the VIN on this forum lived in Mesa.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=5372

His gallery has a few pics too:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5372

I think Raque did the majority of the mods, his gallery shows some pics.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/2/ppuser/584

It's been lifted for a long time, I'll bet they removed the shaft because the CVs were bad like Jo said.

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 03:24 PM
Well the CVs look like they are in good shape but i guess we will see when they install the new shaft. According to the service tech the front driveshaft was the problem. It looks like Raque removed a few of the mods before he sold it. The interior is back to almost stock. No silver dash, no rear headrests, no more hood scoop, different tow hitch, no roof scoop, different grill emblem. I'm hoping the dealer fixes me up proper. I'd hate to have to dump more money into it after i just bought it.

mattferguson14
10/16/2014, 03:58 PM
Anyone ever done a timing belt on one of these (stupid question I'm sure)? I am looking into the service records and am not sure it has been done. I emailed the previous owner to see if they know. How much am i looking at to get one done if need be? Thanks again.

JoFotoz
10/16/2014, 04:32 PM
Here ya go...

Anyone ever done a timing belt on one of these (stupid question I'm sure)? I am looking into the service records and am not sure it has been done. I emailed the previous owner to see if they know. How much am i looking at to get one done if need be? Thanks again.

..from the SEARCH FUNCTION :o

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?searchid=615927

Jo

Triathlete
10/16/2014, 04:50 PM
If you have a full day, tools and take your time the timing belt is not that difficult of a job. You can buy a kit for relatively cheap. If you go oem parts as I did the parts will be in the $600 range. The aftermarket kits around $200. If you have it done the labor will probably add $3-400.

Raque Thomas
10/17/2014, 05:08 AM
How's the old gal doing these days? The guy I sold it to in the North East did a lot of de-modding - he removed the Rodeo prototype chrome mirrors, the Axiom shift handle, and a number of my other favorite mods. I lost track of it after he sold it.

It looks more aggressive now with the big wheels a tires, lift and roof basket. I hope she is as good to you as she was to me! I regret selling her often. I now drive a Chrysler 300C with the Hemi. Totally different car, but like the VX - they are fun to drive (in a different way than the VX) and fun to mod!

tom4bren
10/17/2014, 06:03 AM

PM me your snail mail addy & I'll send you a DVD with my collection of maintenance files. It includes a pdf of the steps for timing belt replacement (with pixes) that I shamelessly stole from Bart's thread.

I ask for those receiving the DVD to make a site donation to help keep things rolling but it's not required ... just highly recommended.

mattferguson14
10/17/2014, 07:37 AM
Hello Raque. Yeah, i was looking at the pics of the mods you did and it has definitely been "refined".. It still looks cool and seems to run well. I actually tried to send you a message but it said your inbox was full or something. I was wondering if you happened to do a timing belt on it when you owned it. I emailed the previous owner but no response yet. So far, I love this thing. I get mixed feedback from my buddies. One asked if it came with a box of tampons.. lmao but none can deny that it looks tough and there is nothing else like it.

mattferguson14
10/17/2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks again for the info. I promise I will start utilizing the SEARCH feature! lol

MSHardeman
10/17/2014, 09:06 AM
Jo, the link you posted for the timing belt replacement didn't work for me (maybe it's my work computer).

I am guessing that you are linking to Bart's timing belt replacement how-to. I followed that thing to the letter and had no problem replacing my timing belt. Like Billy said, it is a weekends worth of work (maybe a long day if you push it), but it really isn't that hard. The toughest thing for me was getting the nut off of the crank shaft pulley off. Used the ol' "rest the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter" trick and it came right off.

JoFotoz
10/17/2014, 09:11 AM
Hiya Mark...

Jo, the link you posted for the timing belt replacement didn't work for me (maybe it's my work computer).

I am guessing that you are linking to Bart's timing belt replacement how-to. I followed that thing to the letter and had no problem replacing my timing belt. Like Billy said, it is a weekends worth of work (maybe a long day if you push it), but it really isn't that hard. The toughest thing for me was getting the nut off of the crank shaft pulley off. Used the ol' "rest the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter" trick and it came right off.

Yea..its not working for me now either :eek:

It was a complete page of "Timing belt" threads from "Advanced" search engine....

....Including Barts write up.

Just tried to pull up Barts write up ... got an error page ??

BUT..if anyone needs it I'm sure if you e-mail Bart @ nfp@nofuture.com

...he'll send it :thumbup:

jo

HeckaTrebeka
10/17/2014, 01:10 PM
If you go oem parts as I did the parts will be in the $600 range. The aftermarket kits around $200. If you have it done the labor will probably add $3-400.

Wow, I'm glad I had mine done professionally then! It cost me $700 for an OEM belt and water pump installed!

Triathlete
10/17/2014, 03:11 PM
Matt...I'm going out on a limb and going to guess that the person that made the tampon comment drives a jeep!?!? Make sure to keep a tampon in your glove box to hand him when you out wheel him...and then demand that he hands over his "trail rated" badge :D

Triathlete
10/17/2014, 03:13 PM
Wow, I'm glad I had mine done professionally then! It cost me $700 for an OEM belt and water pump installed!

I had a few other things in there also while I had it apart...tensioner, ser belt, hoses...

pdlock
10/17/2014, 06:11 PM
I just bought a Proton and paid a lot....but it's worth it. 53K miles, so calif original, never off road, good city driver. People flag me down everywhere I take it. I looked for 2 years....and $7K is the lowest I ever saw an undamaged Proton....most are $8-10K...I still paid more. Will keep it forever!

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 07:42 AM
Matt...I'm going out on a limb and going to guess that the person that made the tampon comment drives a jeep!?!? Make sure to keep a tampon in your glove box to hand him when you out wheel him...and then demand that he hands over his "trail rated" badge :D

He drives a Chevy actually. And I'm sure I'd out wheel him because it's 2 wheel drive! :p He was just trying to poke some fun. After he heard the exhaust and sat inside it, he was a believer. I have another buddy who is a big time jeep guy and he loves the Vehicross. Said he and his Jeep buddies talk about em' all the time. I took the VX up to Payson over the weekend. It's a big time up-hill grade most of the way. She didn't want to accelerate at all going up those hills. It was all I could do just to keep her up to the speed limit. I'm sure it has a bit to do with the over sized tires. Anyone else have that problem with the VX?

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 07:44 AM
Another question... I spoke with the dealer I bought the VX from and asked them about the timing belt. He said they'd give me a special on the labor, $36 an hour. I know that is less than half what most shops charge. What do you guys think? Would you do the work yourself, or have the shop do it for that rate?

MSHardeman
10/20/2014, 09:05 AM
Depends on if you like to get your hands dirty or not. $36/hour is a screaming deal to me. Most shops around her charge $90-$100 an hour for labor. I did my timing belt a couple of years ago, and even though it was totally stressful (did I get the timing right?, did I forget to tighten that bolt?) I absolutely loved it. I learned a whole lot about how things where put together and where they went in the engine bay. The replacement took me the better part of two days, but I'm sure a shop could do it in a few hours. $36/hour is very tempting to have someone do it for me.

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 09:12 AM
I know what you mean. Working on your vehicle strengthens the bond and familiarizes you with what's under the hood. It makes you appreciate it more and there is a certain amount of pride you get when you complete a task like that on your own. I've done a ton of wrenching on my previous vehicles. Everything from small upgrades to big time repair jobs and projects. But when I pay $7000 for a vehicle, I'm not sure how I feel about diving into it the next week to do this much work. I feel like $36 an hour is worth it to have the dealer do it. Not to mention I live in an apartment and I don't think management wants my truck torn apart in their parking lot :p I have a buddy's house I could work on it at, but still debating.. I'm also still trying to figure out if it's been done already by a previous owner. Does anyone know a way to tell if it's been replaced other than hearing it from the horse's mouth?

MSHardeman
10/20/2014, 09:20 AM
I think $36/hour for labor is a screaming deal and I would jump on it, especially since you don't really have a space to work on it.

I can't remember, but have you checked the last four digits of your VIN against the owner database here on the site? You might find the previous owner here on the board and then you could ask them. Barring that I don't know if it's possible to tell if the belt has been changed or not. You could always remove the timing belt covers and take a look at the belt, but I don't know if that would be definitive either.

VX KAT
10/20/2014, 09:26 AM
I took the VX up to Payson over the weekend. It's a big time up-hill grade most of the way. She didn't want to accelerate at all going up those hills. It was all I could do just to keep her up to the speed limit. I'm sure it has a bit to do with the over sized tires. Anyone else have that problem with the VX?

Um, yeah....remember I said I live up near Prescott? I've been up and around the steep hills all over the area, inlcuding 87 to Payson, and coming North on 17 from PHX, and also coming South on 17 from Camp Verde on that really big hill. Yeah, with 285s, roof basket, full size spare.....pretty much just barely able to get it to speed limit, just no more juice left on those steep grades.

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 10:09 AM
Um, yeah....remember I said I live up near Prescott? I've been up and around the steep hills all over the area, inlcuding 87 to Payson, and coming North on 17 from PHX, and also coming South on 17 from Camp Verde on that really big hill. Yeah, with 285s, roof basket, full size spare.....pretty much just barely able to get it to speed limit, just no more juice left on those steep grades.

I hear ya. Not to mention I had it loaded down with fishing gear, an ice chest, and my gf and dog.. lol plenty of weight. I had to throw it in D2 once or twice on the way up. You ever host an AZ meet for us VX owners? I think that would be fun.

VX KAT
10/20/2014, 10:20 AM
Sure did:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19574&highlight=superbowl+sunday

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 12:46 PM
Be nice to do it again. I'd like to meet some fellow VXers and see what they've done to their rides.

mhuyge
10/20/2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Matt. I test drove that same one in Mesa. Rough shape - drives horribly. I would pass. In fact, the nearby Chevy Dealer does Isuzu service. Some prospective buyer had it in there and gave it a once-over. You might be able to speak with the service manager and get his opinion.

mattferguson14
10/20/2014, 03:42 PM
I already bought it. It runs fine. I took it for a trip up to Payson this past weekend and it ran great, other than struggling a bit going up hill (big tires and excess weight will do that). Other than the dent in the rear door, it's in pretty good shape. The front prop shaft was bad, but I worked a replacement into the deal. I also got a huge discount off of the list price because I work in the automotive industry and did a favor for the owner of the dealership (transported a truck for him from Vegas to Mesa). It was listed at $10990 and I bought it for $6990, not including the $1000 worth of work they agreed to do to it for me. I also contacted the repair shop who had been doing the most recent service, per the carfax report. They told me of a couple known issues with the truck; leaky valve covers, bad prop shaft, and an electrical issue (lights on the climate control unit flash when you put on the blinkers). The dealer did the valve cover gaskets before I bought it (doesn't leak a drop) and are fixing the prop shaft as part of the deal. All I have left is the pesky electrical issue, which isn't a big deal, just a little annoying. Maybe it still had the old busted prop shaft on it when you drove it?? Although I've never owned a Vehicross, I do know a bit about mechanics (every car I've ever owned was used and old) and I've had to do a ton of wrenching. All in all, this truck is pretty sound mechanically. Just needs a little TLC. Which is fine with me, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a project to work on :) Thanks for your input though.

Raque Thomas
10/25/2014, 08:09 AM
Hello Raque. Yeah, i was looking at the pics of the mods you did and it has definitely been "refined".. It still looks cool and seems to run well. I actually tried to send you a message but it said your inbox was full or something. I was wondering if you happened to do a timing belt on it when you owned it. I emailed the previous owner but no response yet. So far, I love this thing. I get mixed feedback from my buddies. One asked if it came with a box of tampons.. lmao but none can deny that it looks tough and there is nothing else like it.

I didn't replace the timing belt. I think it had just under 100k on it when I sold it, and the guy I sold it to said he was going to put a new engine in it because he wanted to keep it a long time. Nothing was wrong with the engine, so I don't know if he ever replaced it or not.

mattferguson14
10/25/2014, 10:32 AM
I didn't replace the timing belt. I think it had just under 100k on it when I sold it, and the guy I sold it to said he was going to put a new engine in it because he wanted to keep it a long time. Nothing was wrong with the engine, so I don't know if he ever replaced it or not.

Hey may have put that motor in it. The carfax shows a possible mileage roll-back, maybe he tried to turn it back when he put the new motor in? Idk, I'm still trying to find out if the timing belt needs to be replaced. T change or not to change, that is the question. She sure runs good though, other than a little oil consumption. ;)

Mark B
10/25/2014, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the club.
I an sure you will love your VX like we all do.