PDA

View Full Version : fry oil diesel

FlyingV77
10/25/2014, 06:54 PM
Anyone have real world experience with this? Doing some research on this for a friend. Some say you can do it straight up, filtered. Our you can refine it. Is it hype or is it the real deal?

Joe_Black
10/26/2014, 06:54 PM
WVO, or "waste vegetable oil", will work in most diesels but you need to be familiar with the particular engine you're using it in. Many will require changing the oil control rings for a type compatible with WVO use as there is a combustion byproduct that will affect the rings leading to excessive oil consumption. One of my Mercedes W123's has this problem after the previous owner ran it on WVO for about a year. Multi-tank systems which use petroleum diesel to start and shut down the engine address this issue to some degree but add significant expense, complexity and eliminate the normal "start and drive" experience. And they're no guarantee of not having an oil ring failure.

The better option is to "refine" the oil to biodiesel which is 100% compatible with all diesel engines and has no ill effects. The Appleseed processor is the simplest and most proven processor out there to my knowledge and you can find some great info here: http://www.make-biodiesel.org/

You will need to change out any rubber lines, seal or gaskets to viton or other suitable synthetic and both ethanol and biodiesel are natural solvents that will degrade rubber. Once you see how clean the inside of a high-mileage biofueled engine is you'll understand. :bgwo:

FlyingV77
10/27/2014, 06:00 PM
Great info, ill pass it along to my friend.