PDA

View Full Version : Guys with Body lifts?

ohiovx
10/26/2014, 03:58 PM
I bought my Vehicross with a bad engine. I put a body lift on it while taking the engine out (to make it easier) & also to clear the 36's I bought for it. I just now finally got the engine in & running (which was a big time issue, maybe another thread). The steering shaft binds when I turn it. I looked at the posts for body lifts & didn't see anything about the steering? What did I miss?

tom4bren
10/27/2014, 09:08 AM
See page 8 of the attached file.

ohiovx
10/27/2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks Tom for responding. I have already read that & it looks like he basically didn't do anything & all was ok. I did the same thing & The intermediate shaft seems to be binding. I don't know what is inside the rubber boot on the intermediate shaft, but that seems to be the problem. I was hoping someone else with a body lift (I know there aren't many) would have had the same issue I'm having. I may take the steering box off & put the spacer in that the troopers use to see if that helps. If anyone else has come across this let me know!!:bgwb:

tom4bren
10/27/2014, 08:44 PM
Sorry I couldn't be more help. I don't have any experience with a body lift but remembered the thread.

You might try to call Independent 4X. They are the ones who installed the lift on the one for Nerve Gas. He doesn't have the VX anymore so there's no use in trying to contact him.

VXorado
10/28/2014, 06:37 AM
I've spoken with several guys with body lifts since writing up the install guide. I've haven't heard of any binding and didn't experience any myself.

The steering shaft extends/compresses with a sleeve that houses two square pins. It's like a T shape that slides into tracks on the sleeve and allows for up and down movement, along with some side-to-side play. I've had it pulled apart and there's not much to it. With the body lift, the angle wouldn't change enough to cause binding in the sleeve or u-joint. It's possible you've extended the shaft too much which would require the shaft extender from Indy4x.

Try this: Slide the u-joint up from the steering box a bit to reduce the length of the steering shaft. Test the steering again to see if binding is eliminated. If so, install the steering shaft extender and you should be good.

ohiovx
10/28/2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.