PDA

View Full Version : TOD, 4WD and other off-road info

ahdoman
12/05/2014, 12:09 PM
OK, so now that I've owned Pearl for a couple of months I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how the TOD vs. 4L works for off road. (My past experience with 4x was a 98 Toyota Tacoma with locking front hubs). Since I'm starting to do some off roading (and with any luck I'll be able to attend Moab) I need to fully understand the VX system. The owner's manual is very vague. Please correct me on any of my assumptions;
- If I understand correctly; the TOD system only operates when in "high"? Does it do individual wheel control or just front to rear ratios?
- Is there a time, when off roading, when it's better to leave the VX in "high" and let the TOD do the work?
- When the VX is in 4L it locks the transfer case but because the diffs don't lock, the right front wheel and the rear left will still spin freely if you don't have traction (for example if the front left wheel and the right rear are on the ground then the other wheels that are in the air will spin and you'll go nowhere?)
- Only the rear diff is LSD?
- Has anybody ever done a writeup for installing lockers on the VX? (I did a website search but found nothing).

Thanks everybody for your patience with my questions. I'm torn with this because I want to keep Pearl in good shape because she is so rare but I also want to use her for what she was built for. I've already fabricated a skid plate that covers the transfer case and I'm looking at buying sliders. What I really need is to find a VX that's got hail damage, chop the top and just build a VX-O2!

bartmanS4
12/05/2014, 12:25 PM
- If I understand correctly; the TOD system only operates when in "high"? Does it do individual wheel control or just front to rear ratios?

That's correct TOD only operates in high mode and only front to back not side to side for individual wheels.

- Is there a time, when off roading, when it's better to leave the VX in "high" and let the TOD do the work?

Yes, if you want to go fast or simply don't need the low gearing and engine braking.

- When the VX is in 4L it locks the transfer case but because the diffs don't lock, the right front wheel and the rear left will still spin freely if you don't have traction (for example if the front left wheel and the right rear are on the ground then the other wheels that are in the air will spin and you'll go nowhere?)

That's correct.

- Only the rear diff is LSD?

Yep.

- Has anybody ever done a writeup for installing lockers on the VX? (I did a website search but found nothing).

I haven't seen a write up specifically for Isuzu but I do have an install leaflet for installing Aussie/Locka lockers. Here's a link:
aussielocker_installation_manual.pdf (http://www.aussielocker.com/downloads/aussielocker_installation_manual.pdf)

nocturnalVX
12/05/2014, 02:50 PM
TOD is fine for dirt roads or other light off-roading, but 4LO is needed for rock crawling, etc.

ahdoman
12/05/2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys. So, what do you use as a determiner to use the TOD or 4L? I'm thinking in terms of trail climbing. Do you run in TOD until you get to a big, rocky climb? Is it hard on the TOD to use it for steep clean climbs?

JoFotoz
12/05/2014, 04:30 PM
Come to Moab in May.... you'll soon figure it out :thumbup:

Generally I'd say TOD for mild off roading and gentle climbs with no appreciable wheel spin

Otherwise, Full 4x4.

Jo