PDA

View Full Version : Rear door alignment...

ron
12/12/2014, 09:23 AM
Hey guys....

Anyone have any rear door alignment tips they can offer? Loosened up the bolts that hold the door on the hinges to shift the door position because of wind whistling at freeway speeds. Now, whistling noise is gone. But, there's a new squeaking noise like metal rubbing while driving. Any tips/leads would be appreciated. Thanks. Rudy

tom4bren
12/12/2014, 11:39 AM
Can't remember who at the moment but someone who put their full sized spare on the rear door added some rubber bumpers. Before you spend too much time trying to adjust the door again, mebbe find some rubber to wedge in around the door in key locations till you find the one that works. It shold be fairly simple from there to find some bumpers that you can add.

I was getting the noise you describe but mine was a much more worser situation. The top hinge was actually tearing loose from the door.

Also, if you still have the rear seat, check to make sure it's properly latched down. It'll make some really bad sounds if it's not latched.

ron
12/15/2014, 03:34 PM
Can't remember who at the moment but someone who put their full sized spare on the rear door added some rubber bumpers. Before you spend too much time trying to adjust the door again, mebbe find some rubber to wedge in around the door in key locations till you find the one that works. It shold be fairly simple from there to find some bumpers that you can add.

I was getting the noise you describe but mine was a much more worser situation. The top hinge was actually tearing loose from the door.

Also, if you still have the rear seat, check to make sure it's properly latched down. It'll make some really bad sounds if it's not latched.

Actually found out the culprit to re-aligning the rear door and the annoying noise while driving. It turned out to be the metal 'loop' hook that the rear door latch engages to. It's secured by two phillip head screws and can be shifted in all directions for adjustment. Turned out that it was positioned low and basically loosed the screws, bumped upwards a bit and retightened. Also noticed that these same two screws will come untightened after a while and will cause this hook to drop and create a squeaking noise while driving. No need to adjust the actual hinge screws for any alignment. But thanks for the response anyway.

Y33TREKker
12/15/2014, 05:14 PM
Actually found out the culprit to re-aligning the rear door and the annoying noise while driving. It turned out to be the metal 'loop' hook that the rear door latch engages to. It's secured by two phillip head screws and can be shifted in all directions for adjustment. Turned out that it was positioned low and basically loosed the screws, bumped upwards a bit and retightened. Also noticed that these same two screws will come untightened after a while and will cause this hook to drop and create a squeaking noise while driving. No need to adjust the actual hinge screws for any alignment. But thanks for the response anyway.
Had to adjust the striker on the drivers door of my car recently too to help align the window glass with the weather seal. The striker adjustment helped with the coarse alignment, but then I had to switch to the glass adjustments on the window regulator itself for the fine adjustments.

Worth the effort though, because no more wind noise or whistling here either.