PDA

View Full Version : HELP. Broke key, need precut

LiveForGlory
01/19/2015, 05:00 PM
Help I broke 2 teeth off one side of my key :mady: Id prefer to buy a pre cut from a dealer. I called 4 dealers today and within given numbers to others or not knowing I had no luck.

Do any of you know where I can have one made? If not ill have to hand cut a blank with an air grinder.

JoFotoz
01/19/2015, 05:29 PM
Ace Hardware have cut them for me before :thumbup:

Jo

SuperBoomTurbo
01/19/2015, 06:38 PM
Not to be a complete ***, but you don't have a spare? I usually have three or four in various locations, including one in my wallet. After having a nissan with the thinnest key you could possibly imagine (it broke off in the door twice!) I learned to keep a few for such occasions. When you get your next one cut, make a few more!

I'd also use a tri-sided file for handcutting keys, but that's just me. Plus one for Ace.

LiveForGlory
01/19/2015, 10:56 PM
Not to be a complete ***, but you don't have a spare? I usually have three or four in various locations, including one in my wallet. After having a nissan with the thinnest key you could possibly imagine (it broke off in the door twice!) I learned to keep a few for such occasions. When you get your next one cut, make a few more!

I'd also use a tri-sided file for handcutting keys, but that's just me. Plus one for Ace.

I saved this vx maybe a week and a half ago, I bought 2 blanks ready to be cut this week! Im going to a locksmith tomorrow to see what someone in that field can do.

tom4bren
01/21/2015, 05:05 AM
The locksmith should be able to fix you up just fine. They'll probably just use the remnants of your old key to hand cut a new one. Once they have it working, they'll be able to make as many copies as you'd like.

The shop near me was able to scope a lock for me & cut a key. That was for a locking cubby that I never had a key for.

Boonetown123
01/21/2015, 09:00 PM
Since your broke the teeth off you'll have to get a blank and they'll put it in a machine. It may be pricey considering they can't simply make a copy. Be sure to get a spare! Good luck to you buddy!

tom4bren
01/22/2015, 06:59 AM
If both of the broken teeth are on the same side then it should be fairly easy for them to make the copy from the remaining good side.

You should also look into why the teeth broke. If there is a problem with the tumbler then that needs to be fixed before it breaks the new key too.

WormGod
01/22/2015, 07:18 AM
Great post.... since it reminds me.... I need to do the same. Always had 2 sets of keys and fobs, and gave my mom one set to hold on to. She always kept it in a "safe" place in her kitchen. Well, she had her kitchen remodeled form ground up one day years ago, and it just, vanished. So, been sitting on my only key and fob since. They go walk-about, and I go fubar, heh. Should probably get that ball rolling.

Bird Dog 36
01/24/2015, 07:42 AM
I bought one of those Isuzu keys from eBay for $10.00; well I took it to Ace Hardware to have them cut it to my existing working Isuzu key. It turns out that the new key was slightly longer, and that jacked up the cutting. So now I have a worthless $10.00 key. So my advise would be to go to a true locksmith.

JoFotoz
01/24/2015, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear that...

I bought one of those Isuzu keys from eBay for $10.00; well I took it to Ace Hardware to have them cut
it to my existing working Isuzu key. It turns out that the new key was slightly longer, and that jacked up the cutting.
So now I have a worthless $10.00 key. So my advise would be to go to a true locksmith.

My local Ace had blanks for our keys right off the shelf...
...and they work great.

Jo

Etfren
01/25/2015, 03:25 PM
I bought a couple of Isuzu logo keys on Ebay and didn't have any problems. Got two keys cut at the local locksmith and they work perfect.

Also had them re-key my gas door, since it came off a different truck and I was tired of having separate keys.

tom4bren
01/25/2015, 04:07 PM
Help I broke 2 teeth off one side of my key :mady: Id prefer to buy a pre cut from a dealer. I called 4 dealers today and within given numbers to others or not knowing I had no luck.

Do any of you know where I can have one made? If not ill have to hand cut a blank with an air grinder.

I need to go to a local locksmith soon to get an extra. I know they have the blanks. I'd be happy to pick one up & send it to you if you need it. Lemme know.