PDA

View Full Version : help egr issues cant register vx

zadam123
02/03/2015, 04:59 PM
well my inspection and reg is due and i cant get either cause of a p0405 egr problem. a couple of ??

I had a 04501 code in the past and see other codes like 0401,0403,0405 are they all the same ? why diffrent #s ?

i used to clean out the port with carb cleaner but its not working anymore and was looking at the egr snake on a post here. does anyone know the size of the hole for the egr port i dont want to over drill a hole and cause any bigger porblem? is there anything better to clean it with? i think it said the snake was 3/16 and how long is that tube? help quick as my reg expired 2 weeks ago :smilewink:mado:

tom4bren
02/04/2015, 05:58 AM
Maybe this pdf will be of some help (some of the codes contain a hyperlink for more info). It sounds like you've already tried cleaning the EGR tubes but have you cleaned the EGR solenoid or it's connectors?

zadam123
02/04/2015, 12:57 PM
the solenoid and connectors Are the electronics plugged in to the top of the EGR right. ?? Was clean when I replaced egr . What about the size of the hole do you think it's 3/16 ?

Cobrajet
02/04/2015, 03:10 PM
I was in the same boat. Nagging P0405 EGR code. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=296763#post296763) I replaced the EGR valve, but it came back a few months later. I did a lot of troubleshooting, before I finally took it to a foreign car specialty shop. Diagnosis... bad EGR valve! Both the (relatively) new NAPA EGR and the factory EGR were sending the same code. Internal problems. I took the EGR back to NAPA and got a free replacement. A few months later, same code. I'm on my third EGR valve in a little over a year. In my case, my EGR valve and tubes were spotless. There's something in the electrical system which is causing my EGR valves to fail internally.

I have the electrical troubleshooting procedure for the EGR valve, but most of it requires a bench to test it. There is one electrical check that can be done disconnected. Let me know if you want to try that.

Hades
02/04/2015, 04:31 PM
Can you keep resetting the code before checking, or is it on all the time? I know mine can be reset and be fine for a week sometimes, maybe enough to get by inspection?

Leon R
02/05/2015, 07:22 AM
You can easily check your tubes by removing the EGR and looking at the holes (while engine is running). The exhaust side should be loud and leak exhaust, while intake side should have vacuum (enough to stick your finger to the intake). If ether isn't happening, you need to clean out your tubes!

zadam123
02/05/2015, 11:26 AM
I was in the same boat. Nagging P0405 EGR code. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=296763#post296763) I replaced the EGR valve, but it came back a few months later. I did a lot of troubleshooting, before I finally took it to a foreign car specialty shop. Diagnosis... bad EGR valve! Both the (relatively) new NAPA EGR and the factory EGR were sending the same code. Internal problems. I took the EGR back to NAPA and got a free replacement. A few months later, same code. I'm on my third EGR valve in a little over a year. In my case, my EGR valve and tubes were spotless. There's something in the electrical system which is causing my EGR valves to fail internally.

I have the electrical troubleshooting procedure for the EGR valve, but most of it requires a bench to test it. There is one electrical check that can be done disconnected. Let me know if you want to try that.
Haha at this point I'll try anything what is the test??

Cobrajet
02/05/2015, 05:55 PM
This is from the ALLDATA Repair website: (The shop burned me a copy, so don't ask for the link)

Step 5:
1) Disconnect the EGR harness connector.
2) Ignition "ON".
3) At the EGR valve, use a DVM to check the voltage at the 5 volt reference wire (RED) and ground (B).
-- Values 4-6V (mine was 5.0)

Step 6:
2) Measure resistance between terminal B and D.
-- Values 5-5.5 KOhm (mine was 5.09K)

Step 10:
2) Use an ohmmeter to measure between the pintle position pin (C) and the sensor ground pin (B) on the EGR valve.
-- Values 1 to 1.25 KOhm. (mine was 1.6K, causing P0405 code)

zadam123
02/06/2015, 11:38 PM
Ok I'm lost lol.

Does anyone know how long the egr tube is. I. Going to buy the egr snake and clean out the tube and they sell 3 different lengths 9,12,21 do you think that tube is more than 12 I inches long?

Leon R
02/07/2015, 10:35 PM
Which one of your tubes is plugged?