PDA

View Full Version : HID Bulb Dying

johnnyapollo
02/07/2015, 07:32 AM
I'm finally losing the passenger side HID - it's color-shifting to a distinct pink color. I got this set from Tone back in the day and they were plug-and-play (no wire splicing) - these are the HID driving/Halogen high-beam that he first offered. The question is whether it's the bulb or the ballast and since I'm already buying a high-priced replacement bulb, should I just covert to LED? Are they as bright as the 5000K Tone HID set or? I'd like some opinions!

-- Thanks! John

mattferguson14
02/07/2015, 01:34 PM
I'm finally losing the passenger side HID - it's color-shifting to a distinct pink color. I got this set from Tone back in the day and they were plug-and-play (no wire splicing) - these are the HID driving/Halogen high-beam that he first offered. The question is whether it's the bulb or the ballast and since I'm already buying a high-priced replacement bulb, should I just covert to LED? Are they as bright as the 5000K Tone HID set or? I'd like some opinions!

-- Thanks! John

Mine is losing color on the passenger side also, turning yellow. I bought replacement bulbs and just got them today. I went with 6000k sliding hi/los. Not sure if it's the bulb or the ballast, but I only paid $17 for the bulbs on eBay, and the ballasts are only $30 for a set, so if the new bulb doesn't work I'll buy the ballasts. I'll let you know if the new bulb does the trick here shortly.

mattferguson14
02/07/2015, 06:58 PM
Put in the new HID bulbs. They are definitely brighter. But now, like you experienced, my driver's side light has a pink tint to it. :/ So maybe the pink is because of a bad ballast and the yellow I was experiencing before was because of bad bulbs??

Otwobme
02/07/2015, 10:33 PM
I have led all the way around on my vx, I love the look and the brightness of them. I have the hid in my bmw and I think I'm going to take them out and put the led in.

johnnyapollo
02/08/2015, 05:58 AM
One trick to try is to swap bulbs from side-to-side. That will let you know if it's the ballast or the bulb. I went with an LED setup - ordered from AliExpress...

I'll let you know how they work.

-- John