PDA

View Full Version : High Output Alternator

Intrepid_Vanguard
02/27/2015, 10:27 AM
Salutations,

Thumbing through the threads on high output alternators, I didn't see anything recently covered. My alternator has seen its final days so I thought this would a good time to upgrade. I've done some web searches and I see that there are a few out there, but I'd like hear some personal feedback if possible. And is it possible to reman the OEM to a higher output as a cheaper route.

Thanks for your time.

eternal21
02/27/2015, 10:37 AM
Salutations,

Thumbing through the threads on high output alternators, I didn't see anything recently covered. My alternator has seen its final days so I thought this would a good time to upgrade. I've done some web searches and I see that there are a few out there, but I'd like hear some personal feedback if possible. And is it possible to reman the OEM to a higher output as a cheaper route.

Thanks for your time.

Check my build thread....start on post #7 and read down from there.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=25477

Intrepid_Vanguard
02/27/2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the imput. I had a look at the website earlier.

eternal21
02/27/2015, 11:07 AM
Not a problem. I'm glad I went this route, and would do so again in a heartbeat.

Leon R
03/02/2015, 06:51 AM
Can I ask you why you want to upgrade? Did you find your old alternator inadequate (prior to a point it started going bad)? Unless you have some unusual electrical system demands (massive sound system or LOTS of old style lighting), you really shouldn’t need to upgrade.

And this is coming from someone who modifies and races most of his cars ;).

Intrepid_Vanguard
03/02/2015, 02:26 PM
Upgraded sound system and lights. I was also having an issue with RPM's jumping when I'd use my turn signals after 65 MPH with everything turned on. I want to see if that fixes it.

Leon R
03/03/2015, 06:39 AM
I am not sure this will help you. A higher current alternator will put higher load on the engine. How is your battery?

Intrepid_Vanguard
03/03/2015, 05:03 PM
Battery has been upgraded as well.

sindarin
07/13/2016, 07:58 AM
160A installed here. Will review data from eBay on where I had purchased. Some friggin Californian if I recall.

ipd
07/13/2016, 10:40 AM
Mechman alts. nuff said.