PDA

View Full Version : 12V Impact Driver

bartmanS4
03/30/2015, 01:22 PM
I was reading on another forum about converting 12V battery tools to run off your vehicle battery for off-road repairs etc. This sounded too cool so of course I made one right away. I have an old 14.4V Makita drill that I thought about converting which would work great with the engine running. But then I ran across this 12V Porter Cable 2 piece impact and drill set that is on clearance for $70. The impact driver is pretty light weight but for trail repair and smaller stuff it should suffice. I bought a light weight set of jumper cables for the battery connection from Walmart for cheap. I took one of the battery packs apart and removed one of the battery cells to make room for the cable, drilled a hole through the bottom and soldered the cable in place of the lithium battery connections. I did leave the other two cells in the pack for weight and feel purposes. Works like a charm and since I just modified the battery pack itself I can power any 12V Porter Cable tools with it. They even have a reciprocating saw and since they've gone to either 18 or 20V the 12V stuff is cheap.

12V Porter Cable (http://www.lowes.com/pd_332602-70-PCL212IDC-2_0__?productId=3460554&Ntt=porter+cable+12v&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable%2B12v&facetInfo=)

bartmanS4
05/09/2015, 12:48 PM
Edit of stupidity, nothing to see here.

Mile High VX
05/09/2015, 04:34 PM
Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Watch the news for someone who had to travel to the emergency room with a nasty cut from a 12v sawzall...:bwgy::bgwo:

bartmanS4
05/09/2015, 05:57 PM
Arrrgh! I'm such an idiot (but you already knew that)! I looked everywhere for it but I forgot that I hid it from myself. It's always in the last place you look. I hate the taste of crow...