PDA

View Full Version : I smell dirt!

ahdoman
04/14/2015, 09:23 PM
So I've been doing a little more off roading with Pearl and it's getting pretty dusty on the trails in the high desert. When I turn my fan on I can smell the dust that I've been driving through in the cabin so I know it's getting into the vents. (I have another SUV that has a filter before the fan box that I clean out occasionally). I know it's a long shot but has anyone ever done a cabin filter mod? I think the blower is behind the glovebox but the manual doesn't make the external air entry point very clear (other than the obvious vents in the cowl). Any chance anybody has their dash apart enough that they could take a couple of pics of the fresh air input circuit? i know this is kind of a "vain" request but this is also my daily driver and now that summer is near I'm running the air quite a bit.

VX KAT
04/14/2015, 10:59 PM
Can't help you on the technical part, but can say it would be a FANTASTIC IDEA!
All my vents were entirely orangish red when I leave Moab and smell like dirt.
I have to use many Q-tips to clean them out, and get rid of the dust/dirt smell.

tom4bren
04/15/2015, 12:57 PM
Dirty Girl!!!

nfpgasmask
04/15/2015, 01:05 PM
Compressed air, if you have access to it (meaning not a can of air), blow it out every time you clean the interior. That's what I do. This will blow the majority of the loose dirt out of the system.

Bart

ahdoman
04/15/2015, 10:35 PM
I do that already, and hose down the cowel vent. I assume the dust gets trapped on the heater core and AC core. The compressor can't get rid of that.