PDA

View Full Version : Couple of random questions

mattferguson14
04/30/2015, 03:41 PM
Hey guys. I have a couple random questions:

1. When cruising at highway speed (let's say 65 MPH) what RPM is your engine at? Mine is at 2500-2700 when cruising, not sure if it's normal but seems a little high for cruising speed. I have counted the gears while getting up to speed and it is definitely in overdrive..

2. When I run my A/C, it robs me of a significant amount of power. It is very noticeable when accelerating. I know this is true in all cars, but this seems extreme. Anyone else experience this? This is the first time it's been hot enough to run my A/C. It was low on refrigerant, so I added a pound. Could overfilling it cause extra drag on the motor?

3. Sometimes when I take a hard corner, I experience a loss of performance (weak acceleration) for a few seconds after I come out of the turn. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks ahead of time!

tom4bren
05/01/2015, 05:36 AM
1. That sounds about right

2. That much drag does sound extreme. Maybe your compressor/clutch is going bad. Too much refrigerant could cause extra drag but shouldn't be that much (that would probably just keep it from cooling properly). The compressor seized up on my Amigo & I just bypassed it with a shorter Serpentine Belt. I never did go back to try & find out if it's the compressor itself or the clutch.

3. Start with the easy/cheap stuff first like spark plugs & fuel filter. If those don't solve your problem then move on to the more involved things like Fuel Pressure Regulator, Idle Air Control Valve, Exhaust Gas Recirculation System.

Keep this thread going with your progress & we'll help where/when we can.

mattferguson14
05/01/2015, 09:39 AM
I just changed the plugs, fuel filter, and full sea foam treatment about 5k ago. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator is next. I'll try letting a little refrigerant out as well. Where is the idle air control valve located?

A couple things to add, I have a CEL for low air flow to the egr, need to clean out the tube. Also have a small exhaust leak on the passenger side that seals itself when the engine gets up to temp.

mattferguson14
05/01/2015, 09:40 AM
Also got a new egr about 2k ago which cleared my p1404 code (valve was stuck open), which is when the low air flow to egr code popped up.

Art-and-Science
05/02/2015, 09:54 AM
Do a fuel pressure test before you condemn the regulator. You may have a very different fuel delivery problem. (pressure tester costs less than 20.00 at harbor freight, and can save you from unnecessary replacings)

Sounds like you are experiencing power loss under load. Ie your power steering is going during a turn or while you add the a/c load to the engine.

I am far from an expert, but it sounds like a fuel delivery or air intake sort of problem.
Do you have a scan tool? What do your o2 sensors say when you are experiencing a power loss?

Oh, any other codes or recent codes?

cheetah2390
05/02/2015, 04:32 PM
50mph= 1950 rpm
60mph = 2400 rpm
70mph = 2600-2700 rpm
80mph = 3050 rpm

mattferguson14
05/04/2015, 08:27 AM
Do a fuel pressure test before you condemn the regulator. You may have a very different fuel delivery problem. (pressure tester costs less than 20.00 at harbor freight, and can save you from unnecessary replacings)

Sounds like you are experiencing power loss under load. Ie your power steering is going during a turn or while you add the a/c load to the engine.

I am far from an expert, but it sounds like a fuel delivery or air intake sort of problem.
Do you have a scan tool? What do your o2 sensors say when you are experiencing a power loss?

Oh, any other codes or recent codes?

I'm definitely planning on doing a fuel pressure test before replacing anything else. Unfortunately I do not have a scan tool :/ the only code I have right now is the low air flow to EGR code (P0401 I think?). That is a good observation, I never thought about the power steering effecting the engine while cornering.. If not the regulator, then what else could be the culprit? Injectors, fuel pump? I have a K&N oil type cone filter on the intake that needs some cleaning, but I don't think it would cause this significant a problem. Plan on cleaning it and oiling it tonight so we'll see.

Thanks!

mattferguson14
05/04/2015, 08:28 AM
50mph= 1950 rpm
60mph = 2400 rpm
70mph = 2600-2700 rpm
80mph = 3050 rpm

Thank you! looks like I'm in the normal range!