PDA

View Full Version : How to replace a Airbag Clockspring Contact Coil???

psychonectar
05/27/2015, 10:07 PM
So this past weekend on a roadtrip my VX started making an obnoxious clicking noise (like the wheel of fortune wheel spinning) when I turned the wheel at no to low speeds. My immediate hunch was maybe CV Joints or Boots. However, the noise was coming directly from the steering column. Anyways I took it to my mechanic on Tues and he said that it was the Airbag Clockspring Contact Coil part# 8972081925. Of course the shop told me I was S.O.L. because they couldn't locate the part from any distributor. No biggie, I'm certain I can hunt one down myself. However, I've never done this type of swap out job. Anybody ever have to do this fix? If so, any advice for me? Don't I need a special tool to actually remove the steering wheel to access the Contact Coil? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Also, and I'm assuming it's just an odd coincidence, my cruise control stopped working a few hours before the Contact Coil started making an awful noise.

psychonectar
05/27/2015, 10:32 PM
So, I've been researching the part number the shop gave me (8972081925) and it appears that the part number should have been cl9014yf50275. Can anyone confirm that a Airbag Clockspring Contact Coil is the same thing as an "airbag horn clock spring". If so, then I at least found the part I need, and I will snatch it up quickly. Again, any help with ordeal would be really appreciated. Thanks!

bartmanS4
05/28/2015, 09:40 AM
I've never replaced said part but I have removed the steering wheel several times. The only special tool you need is the Torx bit to remove the airbag but I don't remember the size. One good tip is first lock the steering column then make sure you index the wheel so when you put it back on it will be in the same position. Then loosen the wheel nut most of the way but don't remove it, you can then jerk on the wheel to break it loose without punching yourself in the face.

psychonectar
06/01/2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice man. I'll give it a shot.