PDA

View Full Version : So my driver's side window exploded

sporg
08/03/2015, 07:21 AM
As the title states, my driver's side door glass exploded on me yesterday. I had the window cracked a couple of inches (because it's freaking hot out) and when I hopped back into the vehicle and closed the door it went boom. So there I was covered in glass pondering what the heck had just happened.

Going back a week... When I bought my VX (a couple of months ago) the clips were broken. I knew this going in, but saw the posts about the SB fix and figured it was an easy. I pulled the glass out last week, cleaned it up, and reinstalled with the metal clip. Window has been going up and down just fine since, moving nicely, no binding, just no issues period.

Now I'm trying to get my hands on a new (to me) door glass. But before I install it I am curious if any of you have experienced this sort of thing. I haven't taken the door apart to vacuum out the glass yet, and I doubt it will be easy to figure out what happened. Just trying to get in front of the issue before I waste cash and end up exploding another window.

JoFotoz
08/03/2015, 07:43 AM
EXACTLY the same happened to me in Moab a few years ago !
I never figured out why... :(

I replaced with a new glass, using the )EM clips that were attached already.
So far...all good.

Unfortunately the dealer i got the glass from is no longer in business or I'd give you a link.

Jo

sporg
08/03/2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. Nothing like having that happen away from home, but glad the replacement is holding up okay - that makes me feel better.

I'm trying to source some glass now, so we'll see.

housertl
08/04/2015, 06:04 PM
I am in a similar boat; a thug broke out my passenger door glass a couple of weeks ago. Good luck finding the glass, it looks like I may have to buy a whole door to get the glass I need. As a temporary fix, I carved a replacement pane out of 0.93" thick lexan from home depot. Cost me about $80. with the window ledges, it's watertight, if a little louder than it used to be.

sporg
08/05/2015, 07:41 AM
Ouch, good luck sourcing new glass.

cst2099
08/05/2015, 11:08 AM
There's a parted vx on eBay right now! The seller wants $150 (obo) for the window glass.

sporg
08/06/2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for sharing!

housertl
08/07/2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the tip! Snagged the passenger window, definitely less expensive than having to buy the whole door.

sporg
08/08/2015, 09:20 AM
Nice! I saw that both were gone (I already had purchased one from someone else) and wondered if you got the passenger side. My window came in yesterday but I'm debating putting in a new regulator first.