PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Tranny/TOD Problem...

ScubaSteve
12/11/2003, 03:06 PM
HELP! I changed the tranny fluid myself about 2000 miles ago with no problems til now...

Backing outa my parking spot my VX temporarily slipped outa R. Today it slipped outa 1st while pulling out. Engine was cold the first time, warm the 2nd time.

After it slipped outa first, it took just a sec, then it was fine. Once i started driving, as soon as I hit just under 40 mph, the TOD "CHECK" light started flashing, and it split the power 50/50 front and rear. I stopped the car, started it in 1st, and shifted manually through all the gears -- still had the TOD problem.

Pulled over, put it in N, dropped to 4L and drove. Didn't get it up to 40, but didn't notice any problems. Put it back in N, then 4H, and then drive and had the same problem again. No clue what to do. I'm tempted to check underneath the car and pull the TOD plug to see if it overflows (which is GOOD), but unfortunately I don't have my little hand pump i use to fill the TOD, so if it's low there isn't squat I can do.

Any suggestions?! Only 18000 miles................ I'm hoping someone has an answer before tomorrow morning, as I have to drive the beast to work. Is it safe to drive?

autox-racer
12/11/2003, 03:35 PM
did you fill with engine running?

ScubaSteve
12/11/2003, 03:37 PM
hmm we'd fill, run engine, stop engine, wait a minute, check level - fill if necessary. thinking maybe i'm a quart low? why would it not show up til NOW!?

autox-racer
12/11/2003, 03:42 PM
have to check level while engine is running. should over fill with running and let excess drain out.

ScubaSteve
12/11/2003, 04:04 PM
so have i done permanent damage? jeez..........

autox-racer
12/11/2003, 04:28 PM
if it is slipping then probably yes.

AnalogVX
12/11/2003, 09:39 PM
MY99 VehiCROSS Service Manual 7A-9

Checking Transmission Fluid Level and Condition
Checking fluid level and condition (color and odor) at regular intervals will provide early diagnosis information
about the transmission. This information may be used to correct a condition that, if not detected early, could result
in major transmission repairs.

IMPORTANT: When new, automatic transmission fluid is red in color. As the vehicle is driven, the
transmission fluid will begin to look darker in color. The color may eventually appear light brown.

A dark brown color with burnt odor may indicate excessive fluid deterioration and signal a need for fluid change.

Fluid Level
When adding or changing fluid, use only DEXRON ®—lli.

Refer to Maintenance and Lubrication in General Information section for maintenance information and servicing

interval.

CAUTION! DO NOT OVERFILL.
Overtilling will cause foaming, loss of fluid, abnormal shifting and possible damage to the transmission.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking brake firmly.

2. Check fluid level with engine running at idle.

Notice: Be sure that transmission fluid temperature is below 30” C (86” F).

3. Move the selector lever through all gear ranges.

4. Move the selector lever to “Park’.

5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open the overfill screw (1).

6. Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.

7. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32”C (90”F) and 57”C (1 35”F) is reached, then close
the overfill screw (1).

Torque: 38 N.m (28 lb ft)
Notice: To prevent fluid leaks, the overfill screw and oil drain screws gasket must be replaced each time
these screws are removed.

Notice: Check transmission fluid temperature with scan tool.

Minimum fluid level —* 57”C (135” F)
Maximum fluid level —~ 32”C (90”F)

CAUTION! Do not open overfill screw with engine stopped.
CAUTION! DO NOT CHECK FLUID LEVEL UNDER THESE CONDITIONS:
• Immediately after driving at sustained highway speeds.

• In heavy city traffic during hot weather.

ScubaSteve
12/12/2003, 06:58 AM
ALL IS WELL!

Had no choice but to drive it to work this morning - same problem. No slipping, but i took it into the warehouse at work to try and check the fluid myself but couldn't find the right socket... when backing OUT it slipped outa R like 3 times =(

BUT... took sick leave :rolleyes: and went to (gulp) Jiffy Lube. Explained the problem and that all i wanted 'em to do was check/top off the TOD/transfer case & tranny. At first, when I had the engine running a manager came over and shut it off, told his crew "not to touch anything", and said for me to take it to a dealer because "we have no idea what we're doing"...

after much explaining (and realizing I know more than Jiffy Lube - scary thought), I got him to let his crew do the work. I wonder if I'm the first person to take their vehicle into Jiffy Lube and, in proper business attire, lie down on the floor half under the truck coaching/supervising the crew...

Turns out the TOD was ok, but tranny sump was about a 1/2 qt low. Didn't realize the tranny system was so particular! Anyway, left there $10 poorer (better than $2000 for a new tranny) and took it to a nearby parking lot. Ran her through the numbers, did some donuts, drove for about 500 yrds in reverse (highest line pressure - figured if it's gonna slip, it'd do it in R!)... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Drove it home and it ran absolutely beautifully...

Makes me realize how disgustingly obsessed i am to my truck:mbrasd: ... the mere thought of losing here lol, well i guess it's these traumatic experiences that make us appreciate what we have;Db;

Thanks for all your help guys (and Anita;) )

AREA 51
12/12/2003, 07:41 AM
Maybe it acted up recently because of the recent temperature plunge?

autox-racer
12/13/2003, 07:06 AM
I cannot imagine a 1/2 quart low would cause it to slip. unless maybe you were driving on major inclines all day.

i think most trannys lose 1st/reverse because they share a planetary gear and they are the lowest(highest loaded) gear. On old chevys the lip seals would get hard or the soft shifts would wear down the clutches/bands and then you would start to notice a delay as you engaged reverse… eventually leading to major slippage for 1st/rev

I was told our tranny is a GM unit out of france. I really hope they use orings and not lip seals… I worked on Toyotas for a few years and their autos were almost bulletproof because their orings would get hard but rarely leak like a lip seal does.

does anyone know what kind of seals the vx has in the clutch packs?

btw, i bought an interceptor from Tone just to get a crisper shift so it would not wear down as fast. i noticed when i got the vx it seemed to have kind of soft(designed slippage) shifts. The interceptor is kind of a bitch to adjust since the gain is not right... you can only turn the pot about a 1/16 of a turn before the shifts are too harsh.

ScubaSteve
12/13/2003, 08:39 AM
well maybe she's particularly sensitive:) either way, she's back to normal and i couldn't be happier:)