PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a Tone's/Tom's "ish" hitch?

Patr1ck
02/24/2016, 02:46 PM
I am considering making hitches for us that would be a hybrid of Tom's/Tones/my own. I want to see how many of you would be interested in one. I have been welding professionally for 10 years, while not a "Welder", it was required for my job as a heavy truck mechanic on a weekly basis at the least. I would fabricate them so that they require the same rear cladding mod that the Tone's hitch requires and would be nice and hidden in the rear cladding. They would be priced in the $300 to $350 range. Let me know who would be interested in one by posting in this thread. Im trying to gage whether it would be worth it or not to start doing this.

Zierro
02/24/2016, 08:17 PM
Definitely interested. To be honest, I wouldn't buy one today. Too many things all ready planned, and my allowance is spent. Sometime in the next 6 months or so.

arcobarco
02/25/2016, 05:40 AM
I'm in need of a hitch. What would the the shipping estimate from your location to 84109 be? I haven started on this because there didn't seem to be availability, and I didn't want to have one local fabricated yet. A little more on what your configuration is would help. I had a tone hitch but it was not a desired fit for my VX.

CatFish
02/25/2016, 07:07 PM
What does it look like and how does it mount? Some of us have not see the hitch before. Do you have pictures?

Patr1ck
02/25/2016, 07:58 PM
It's going to mount to the crossmember like Tone's does and to the frame rail like Tom's does. It will also contain the mounts for the rear cladding. I haven't built one yet but if you search on the forum for both it may make things more clear. I'm just learning how to use Autocad, so when I get better at that I can create a drawing.

89Vette
02/26/2016, 11:48 AM
I am considering a hitch for this year. Curt (or someone) makes a long bar type that probably mounts ONLY to the frame rails (judging by your description). It hangs fairly low which is one "downside" for aesthetics. I like Tone's style better because it's less visible when installed. However, I am fairly certain tongue weight is limited by that design. I assume the cross rail isn't THAT strong?

My other issue is I've installed dual exhaust. I think it's installed slightly inboard from the OEM location and blocks my ability to install the Curt style hitch w/o redoing my exhaust. That gets expensive AND tricky considering the hoops dual exhaust required by the exhaust shop.

Really, I think I'm limited to the Tone style (location). I will only use it for a utility trailer to supplement OCCASIONAL storage/hauling limitations. So, hopefully, the tongue-weight aspect isn't a problem.

Please let me know if my reading has left any holes in my understanding.

FWIW, to those interested, I had more luck Googling "Vehicross Tone Hitch Image" than trying to find references/pictures using this site's search engine. I believe a trip to the Curt hitch website will show you the other style hitch that I've seen referenced in a few threads.

Again, I assume the OP (Patrick) is looking to design a hybrid of the two?

Patr1ck
02/26/2016, 03:22 PM
I am considering a hitch for this year. Curt (or someone) makes a long bar type that probably mounts ONLY to the frame rails (judging by your description). It hangs fairly low which is one "downside" for aesthetics. I like Tone's style better because it's less visible when installed. However, I am fairly certain tongue weight is limited by that design. I assume the cross rail isn't THAT strong?

My other issue is I've installed dual exhaust. I think it's installed slightly inboard from the OEM location and blocks my ability to install the Curt style hitch w/o redoing my exhaust. That gets expensive AND tricky considering the hoops dual exhaust required by the exhaust shop.

Really, I think I'm limited to the Tone style (location). I will only use it for a utility trailer to supplement OCCASIONAL storage/hauling limitations. So, hopefully, the tongue-weight aspect isn't a problem.

Please let me know if my reading has left any holes in my understanding.

FWIW, to those interested, I had more luck Googling "Vehicross Tone Hitch Image" than trying to find references/pictures using this site's search engine. I believe a trip to the Curt hitch website will show you the other style hitch that I've seen referenced in a few threads.

Again, I assume the OP (Patrick) is looking to design a hybrid of the two?

I agree on the bad aesthetics aspect of it. Also, having the Curt hitch would decrease your departure angle when off roading. It would be this summer when I can start on them, but they would be a hybrid of these two and be completely hidden behind the cladding except for the receiver.
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/ov10pat/IMG_1109.jpg (http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ov10pat/media/IMG_1109.jpg.html)http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/ov10pat/DSC_4742.jpg (http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ov10pat/media/DSC_4742.jpg.html)

Makocross
02/26/2016, 05:17 PM
I made my own hitch and it looks like a combo of the two above. The main difference is it is welded to the frame and the crossbar with lots more gussets. Probably overkill. I also tried to get the receiver as close as I could to the body and as high as I could. The problem is a straight receiver with a ball installed will not allow you to close the rear door.

Mike

Patr1ck
02/26/2016, 07:02 PM
I made my own hitch and it looks like a combo of the two above. The main difference is it is welded to the frame and the crossbar with lots more gussets. Probably overkill. I also tried to get the receiver as close as I could to the body and as high as I could. The problem is a straight receiver with a ball installed will not allow you to close the rear door.

Mike
You should lift your VX.:bwgy:

johnnyapollo
02/27/2016, 04:28 AM
One suggestion - I have one of the original Tone hitches - if you have one of Ron's skidplates there really isn't enough room for a locking pin. If the receiver could be extended about an inch so the hole is more accessible it would be an improvement.

Patr1ck
02/27/2016, 10:40 AM
One suggestion - I have one of the original Tone hitches - if you have one of Ron's skidplates there really isn't enough room for a locking pin. If the receiver could be extended about an inch so the hole is more accessible it would be an improvement.
Thank you, thats good information.

Makocross
02/28/2016, 02:19 PM
I made sure I could get a lock on my receiver, just barely. The more it sticks out, the easier it is to get the pin in, but the higher chance of hitting your shins on the receiver. I also have a receiver hitch on the front which is great for moving trailers around and it gives me a place for the winch. I installed wiring and a plug so I can use the winch fore or aft. Take your time when you start cutting the cladding, start small and work your way up until it fits.

Mike

Espritmike
03/18/2016, 08:09 PM
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C832zmsLsVvuxDMe5-QPh-ozoDrD4yLUJgP2o17YBwIiylZMECAkQFCDDkeQeKBRgycb1hsi jkBmgAd7-hP8DyAEHqgQmT9AQBebijYUslHx-EyVt4g8kc4l1W7UMkkaRW5MXcr73Y6iOYu3ABQWgBibYBgSAB4 qBe5AHA6gHpr4b2AcB4BKuqredx-vd_NgB&sig=AOD64_0wkTCxcHDfRBjmp_gdxE5suPkZgQ&adurl=http://www.adventurerv.net/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D22919%26utm_sourc e%3DFroogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_campaign%3Dpa rtsfeed_ppc&ctype=5&clui=49&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjmt5Tj4svLAhUH52MKHXIXAKUQwzwIsQE&ei=msLsVuaCC4fOjwPyroCoCg

Patr1ck
03/19/2016, 11:50 AM
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C832zmsLsVvuxDMe5-QPh-ozoDrD4yLUJgP2o17YBwIiylZMECAkQFCDDkeQeKBRgycb1hsi jkBmgAd7-hP8DyAEHqgQmT9AQBebijYUslHx-EyVt4g8kc4l1W7UMkkaRW5MXcr73Y6iOYu3ABQWgBibYBgSAB4 qBe5AHA6gHpr4b2AcB4BKuqredx-vd_NgB&sig=AOD64_0wkTCxcHDfRBjmp_gdxE5suPkZgQ&adurl=http://www.adventurerv.net/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D22919%26utm_sourc e%3DFroogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_campaign%3Dpa rtsfeed_ppc&ctype=5&clui=49&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjmt5Tj4svLAhUH52MKHXIXAKUQwzwIsQE&ei=msLsVuaCC4fOjwPyroCoCg

That is slick!

Patr1ck
05/04/2016, 07:38 PM
I have decided to forgo this idea to focus my attention on my schooling.

Thank you everybody for your interest and suggestions.

Ditchplains1
12/12/2016, 09:19 PM
Patr1ck,
If you change your mind I will buy one from you. You can email me directly at AOL; C3PW1955 is the address....School is most important!

Eddie

blacksambo
12/20/2016, 06:36 PM
This offer has created more activity on this site than anything else in ages. Congratulations.