PDA

View Full Version : HOT new Isuzu Hummer

mrtew
12/22/2003, 05:12 PM
Check out this hot new Hummer H3! It's based on the new Isuzu pickup truck so you KNOW it's going to be a great driving vehicle! I always swore I'd never trade in my VX but now.......

http://www.hummer3.net/proto.html

The really nice pictures are here...
http://www.hummer3.net/proto3.html

http://www.hummer3.net/images/H3T18a.jpg

johnnyapollo
12/22/2003, 07:07 PM
Didn't know Isuzu made a 3.5L 5 cylinder engine...

-- John

Triathlete
12/22/2003, 09:43 PM
Those tires match my interior!;Dy;
As far as a 3.5L 5 cylinder...they are just pre assuming that the #1 cylinder will die!;eeky;

StinkBug
12/22/2003, 09:57 PM
Hmm never heard about them using the isuzu framework, but that would be cool. I know Gilbert got to do one of their consumer research surveys and said that it might be cool, but probably gonna be IFS IRS and lame for wheelin. As for the motor the I5 and I4 are both derived from the 4200 I6 found in the trailblazer and ascender. Its a modular motor, they just add and remove cylinders. the I5 should be a cool motor and would work nice in that chop top H3, but they told him that the I4 would be goin in the convertible and the I5 would only be available in the hard top versions. Hopefully they took his, and everybody elses, advice and decided to offer the 5 in both models.

Dallas

EDIT: where does it say something about an isuzu frame, in the article on GMs media page it says they borrowed the frame architecture from the GM midsize trucks. Am I missing something here?

Jim98122x
12/22/2003, 10:09 PM
Personally, I am sorry to see Isuzu associated with anything as vulgar as a Hummer. blech....

Dallas4u
12/23/2003, 12:09 AM
Those tires are actually kinda cool

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/35bfg1.jpg

:)

StormTROOPER
12/23/2003, 01:36 AM
Those red & black tires would look good on me astrial silver:cool: (why put ordinary tires on an Xtraordinary vehicle like the vx) I think the vx looks like the love child of the Hummer2 & the Mini-Cooper anyway;Db;

mrtew
12/23/2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by StinkBug
Hmm never heard about them using the isuzu framework...
EDIT: where does it say something about an isuzu frame, in the article on GMs media page it says they borrowed the frame architecture from the GM midsize trucks. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, those new midsize trucks, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are the new Isuzu Pickups! They drive great too... I almost felt like I was in my VX when I drove them. (Absolutely nothing like driving an S10!)

The architecture for the new trucks, known internally by their code-name --GMT 355 – was developed in conjunction with Isuzu, but the Colorado and Canyon share neither powertrain nor sheetmetal with the trucks Isuzu is building on the other side of the Pacific Rim.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/355offroad/page1.html

When GM’s engineers and designers started thinking about the S10 to modern standards, they powwowed with their tribal cousins at Isuzu. The result was a joint-development program that produced the 2004 GMC Canyon, 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, and an Isuzu-branded model. The trucks are bigger, more powerful, look bolder, and better coddle passengers.
http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=gmc&model=canyon

Dallas4u
12/23/2003, 10:22 AM
Looks like Nike helped in designing the seats as well...

The technical leather and Nike-designed Sphere seat fabric continue to support the athletic, performance theme of the H3T, as do the chamois, petrol and paprika orange interior colors.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/images/H3Tconcept/9.jpg

driver3
12/23/2003, 10:33 AM
Nike Tires???? now even your car can have nikes...

AlaskaVX
12/23/2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by driver3
Nike Tires???? now even your car can have nikes...
Those would be some great tires! very original tread... looks as if they would work really well in the mud in foreward or reverse, and grip the pavement like a Nike shoe!

AREA 51
12/23/2003, 01:17 PM
That's just great. Now the gangsta's, playah's and pimps is gonna be poppinn' caps in people's @$$es to get their tires!:p

Dallas4u
12/23/2003, 02:16 PM
I don't think the gangstas like Nike's ACG line... maybe if it had some Nike Air lockers, or some Nike coil-over Shox, they's pimp those... but they don't seem to like all terrain ACG shoes.

SPAZZ
12/23/2003, 05:14 PM
H2 Suburban POS sucks, but that H3 looks pretty functional..........wonder how much it could take..........?....hhhmmmmmmm could it be more functional than a VX???.........

doubleadesign
12/23/2003, 05:37 PM
Anyone know how much and when available?

hchen
12/23/2003, 06:04 PM
from some previous statements i sense an underlying tone of stereotyping and racism. even tho most of you would probably say that it's not your intention, however, being an anthropology major...yea. straight up racist comments right there. i find it extremely disrespectful and i think adults like you guys should think before you speak because what you might think sounds funny, definately is not to others.

i hope this doesnt spark any huge arguments, that's not what i want. howeveri just want to bring to your attention what you might not have intentionally meant. another fact is, it's human nature to be racist and prejudice towards others, although most feelings are kept deep inside and not shown. you can see from people's actions and speech that it is evident with everyone. especially with languauge. some of the comments above can attest to this. i dont want to write another term paper about this so i'll cut it short. i just feel that since everyone is an adult, im probably the youngest here, we should all think before we type something out that might offend others. even tho there's free speech. it's still not morally proper. anyways, enough said.

mrtew
12/23/2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by hchen
from some previous statements i sense an underlying tone of stereotyping and racism.

I thought you were serious until I read your signature line! You did have a good point though.

Dallas4u
12/24/2003, 06:33 AM
Dood, for writing a paper on the subject, you made a pretty uninformed statement. Gangstas and pimps are a fact, and just stating things they do and have done isn't racists. In fact, this is from YOUR SoundClick site written by one of your songs (Keepin' it Real):

Originally posted by hchen
dedicated to my triad boys in taiwan, REAL gangstes. not the fake fools who try to act like 50 or wahtever

DONT try to act gangsta if youre not 'cause you just look straight up stupid. DONT write about being gangsta if youre not 'cause then you just straight up making yourself look like a dumbass. dedicated to my Traid boys back in Taiwan...now they are REAL thugs. they so ****** hardcore they'd take out any "gangsta" here in the states

We ALL (or many, I guess) know that you do NOT have to be black or Asian to be in a gang... although not as "hardcore" as your Taiwan-ian "gangsta" friends, my stepbrother and stepsister went to school in Houston, TX with a pretty tough crowd, and believe me when I say the "gangs" were made up of ALL races and sexes.

So, before you come in here acting all PC, make sure you aren't only being hypocritical, but just plain wrong.

Navigator
12/24/2003, 08:31 AM
...I like it, I only wish my VX could last forever :( , but it's good to know there are plenty of cool ideas cooking for future vehicles. Those two tone tires are SWEET :D I'd buy those tires in a heartbeat :yes: Sure the Hummers are cool, but the VX is icy baby :naughty:.

NC_VX
12/25/2003, 09:15 PM
Wow, I won't be in the market for another vehicle for many, many moons... However, if I could take bits and pieces, I would take the tires, and the seats, and maybe have someone custom fab new seats for the rear of my vx, or just take them out.... I will have to figure out if the seats and the tires would fit my vx, I could go with a new interior facelift

Cool Stuff!!!

Joe_Black
12/26/2003, 06:34 AM
Hmmm... Tires are cool, seats interesting, but an S-10 on bad steroids I'll pass. The H2 Hummified Sierra was bad enough, every freakin' parking lot around my neck of the woods has as least ten. Haven't seen a one off road yet! Now, there are some good ole boys locally that have H1s that get off-roaded regulary and have been through about 3 engines and 2 drivetraines each. Yeah, they run 'em hard apparently.

I just wish Isuzu could cut the strings to GM and return to the US market with some concentrated focus. When I first started my relationship with Isuzu they had one vehicle for each market: 1 sports coupe (Impulse), 1 sedan (I-Mark), 1 truck (P'up) and 1 utility (Trooper). After getting beat up in the Geo deal with GM they stuck with what they knew and produced best: Trucks. As a former Impulse owner I thought they did a great job with the cars and appreciated the fact they were open to outside help such as Italian design (Italdesign) and European suspension (Lotus). Seeing pictures of the MultiCROSS while at the dealer back in the 80's got me interested in the Trooper and the introduction of the Trooper RS in '89 sealed the deal.

But, as we all know, Isuzu's barometer of American market trends has been sketchy at best. And their marketing only had brief shining moments behind the dark clouds of uncertainty. Now the Trooper is gone from our shores and the unholy alliance with GM continues. Isuzu should return to building their own vehicles using the international flavor that garnered them fame for breaking the mold initially. Could you imagine an Isuzu SUV with the design of the VX, the size of the Axiom, the utility of the Trooper and powered by one of their larger intercooled turbo diesels?

Now that, my friends, would rock!

mrtew
12/26/2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Hmmm... Tires are cool, seats interesting, but an S-10 on bad steroids I'll pass.

No you misunderstood. You've got it all backwards. It's not an Isuzu with the guts of a GM, it's a GM with the guts of an Isuzu! The best of both worlds. Nice tight handling, great quality, and serious engineering, with the supercool styling of the Hummer!

Joe_Black
12/26/2003, 05:05 PM
Okay, went back and re-read the article you linked to and didn't see squat mentioned about Isuzu. Engine based on the Vortec and GM mid-sized truck chassis used, no Isuzu. What's Isuzu in it?

Tone
12/26/2003, 05:51 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/video_gallery/video_gallery_story.php?id=41042

Hummer H3

The original 'civilian' version H1 Hummer was a huge success for Hummer in the United States. Meanwhile, last year's H2 is the cult-car in the U.S., leaving all other SUVs in the dust. No wonder, then, that Hummer wants to ride that wave as long as it is rolling!

The new model, the 'baby' Hummer, will be a downsized H2 based on the future Chevrolet Colorado and Isuzu D Max platform. Still featuring the original H1's boxy military look, the new H3, the last model range to be introduced by GM's family member, will be much more of a regular off-road car than its two bigger brothers. It will be powered by a 4.3-litre straight-six delivering some 260 HP, and GM says it can produce 100,000 units per year with the vehicles starting in the $30,000 range. This price would make it some 50,000 Dollars cheaper than the H2 and even 75,000 Dollars cheaper than the original military-orientated H1. The new H3 will be built in Shreveport, Louisiana, and should be ready for the 2005 model year. @Automedia

Raque Thomas
12/26/2003, 08:34 PM
Isn't that Isuzu just a rebadged GM product like the Ascender and the last Isuzu pickup? If so, saying that the new Hummer is based on an Isuzu is quite a stretch, isn't it?

mrtew
12/27/2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Raque Thomas
Isn't that Isuzu just a rebadged GM product like the Ascender and the last Isuzu pickup? If so, saying that the new Hummer is based on an Isuzu is quite a stretch, isn't it?

No. It was developed by Isuzu and all you have to do is drive it to believe me. I drove the new Chevy Colorado and it feels almost exactly like my VX with slightly softer suspension settings. Yes, the GM/Isuzu relationship is getting complex with products going both ways, but this one is definitely coming our way. I worked on the Chevy Belair concept car which, believe it or not, was put on the same platform, as it is GM's cheapest and fastest platform (yes internally Isuzu is just considered another division of GM) and it was always referred to as the Isuzu platform in casual conversation. In patriotic middle-America it was considered much more sacreligious to be putting a classic Chevy on a Japanese truck platform, by the way, than you guys think it is to sell GMCs as Isuzus! The Belair wasn't the greatest looking showcar ever made but IMHO this one sure is, and it's actually going into production!