PDA

View Full Version : fog light change

roadrunner
12/23/2003, 06:22 PM
Ahhh...this is really a pain....how do i go about changing the light bulbs in the small round stock fog lights below the headlights? they are in the worst place and i don't know the bulb i need to replace this, nor do i even know if it is infact a bulb and not the entire light itself.....pleeeeaaasssseee HELP!

SoilDoc
12/23/2003, 07:10 PM
Go to auto parts store and ask for a 194 bulb.

To get the lights out you gotta stick your hand through the wheel well and give them a twist (less than 1/4 turn). It is a tight fit for your hand, be sure to take your watch off. Then the lights come out from the front. That's the hard part.

The length of the cord restricts how far you can pull the lights out but you need to remove the light assembly. Then you can easily switch the bulbs.

To get the lights back in you can do it from the front and don't really need to get your hand behind the bumper.

tomdietrying
12/23/2003, 08:34 PM
SoilDoc or any VX Expert,
Can you buy a bulb that is brighter than the stock bulb and still use the same housing? I know you can but PIAAS, but I want to use the same light housing that screws in. I've asked this question before, but I guess I didn't make myself clear that I would like to use the stock housing.
Thaks and Peace.
Tom

VehiX
12/23/2003, 08:36 PM
If your arm is small enough (like mine :( ) you can reach down between the radiator and the front cladding.

Just stick one arm down there towrds the light to hold it and then turn it from the out side with your other arm OR hold it from the out side and turn from the inside, which ever is easier.

It only takes about half a turn, then just pull it out

Install in reverse order.

This is much easier then reaching up through the wheel well :)

mrtew
12/23/2003, 09:05 PM
My dealer wanted to charge me $170 dollars to change one bulb in this location! Thank god for these forums or I probably would have paid. I should call and report them to Isuzu, but I don't want them to have their licence pulled or I'd really be lost!

SoilDoc
12/23/2003, 09:26 PM
Do a search on "parking lights" there are many possible solutions.

Raque Thomas
12/23/2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by tomdietrying
SoilDoc or any VX Expert,
Can you buy a bulb that is brighter than the stock bulb and still use the same housing? I know you can but PIAAS, but I want to use the same light housing that screws in. I've asked this question before, but I guess I didn't make myself clear that I would like to use the stock housing.
Thaks and Peace.
Tom

Go to Home Depot and buy 18 watt bulbs for Malibu outdoor lights. The bulb will fit right into the factory socket and give you quite a bit more light (the stock bulbs are only 3.5 watts vs, 18 watts for the Malibu bulbs). I've been running those bulbs for a few months now with no problems. If you have the HID look headlight bulbs (blue tint), PIAA makes a 194 bulb that matches the tint of the blue headlight bulbs. If you're using factory headlight bulbs, go for the less expensive Malibu bulbs.

rickshaw
12/23/2003, 10:43 PM
I did the 18W Malibu Bulb change, it was fine until I changed the headlights bulbs to PIAA Xtreme White. They were too yellow with the headlights. PIAA's match for the Malibu bulbs are the 18W W2 Xtreme White. I think W2 and 194 are the same blub. These were way brighter than the original 168 and they matched headlights perfectly.

Eckstream
12/23/2003, 11:27 PM
I just take those little housings out from the front.... Use some rubber gloves so you can get some grip and give em a twist....(also keeps the greese off your hands) They are selling 4led 194 bulbs on ebay for $5 these look cool when you have blue bulbs in your headlights.

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/24/2003, 12:47 AM
After I hit a pheasant that was flying after dark (go figure??),
my bulb's filament broke from the impact. I replaced with the stock 194 bulb...removed the socket by using a tiny flathead screwdriver to pop the rubber seal out...then twisted/rotated lens with bare-hand until socket keyway lines up with hole in cladding...then socket pops out. Replaced bulb. Reinstall rubber seal/gasket onto socket encircling lens and put a few drops of oil on seal/gasket (I used fishing reel oil) where gasket will contact cladding, thus making it easier to rotate socket into final locking position.

Spike
12/24/2003, 07:17 AM
Wow, you really gotta watch out for those pheasants breaking curfew! They can really damage your front end.

(or is that peasants?)