PDA

View Full Version : Ticking...

Freon VX
12/28/2003, 09:56 AM
Have been getting a slight ticking that appears to be coming from the bottom end, as its more eveident from the front DS wheelweel. Thought it might be lifters but the top end sounds fine. Its interremittent, oil level is full, Im running synthetic. It appears to come and go based on rev, and it is def a cause for concern. Anyone ever had bearings go bad? What does that sound like?

When you rev the motor, the ticking goes faster so its def an internal issue.

Bill

Tone
12/28/2003, 10:17 AM
Get a stethoscope or even just a length of hose and place it on parts of the engine and your ear to locate the ticking. Could be nothing more than the injectors opening and closing which can often be heard.

Hotsauce
12/28/2003, 12:56 PM
If its lifters it will be much louder and more distinct with oil cap off.

John C.

Jonnie
12/28/2003, 02:53 PM
It's probably your warantee clock.

Jonathan;eekg;

AnalogVX
12/28/2003, 03:48 PM
I have a ticking/rattle noise that is more apparent when I put the trans in any gear and disappears with engine RPM. I have detirmined that it is an exhaust heat shield somewhere. Just too lazy to to isolate it and fix it. Might be the same thing?

Freon VX
12/28/2003, 05:36 PM
I recently had all my heat shields removed by isuzu. Apparently isuzu has issued a directive stating that this is the cause of the majority of noise complaints, and now doing so by the dealer will not void any warrantees.
So Im sure thats not it. It clearly is coming from the botoom end, right by the oil pan. Its not the injectors. I dont see how it could be anything else down there.

AND JOHNNIE, yes it is for SURE part of my warranty clock ticking. Im down to the last 12000 miles.

Bill

Tone
12/28/2003, 06:27 PM
So take the hose and isolate it - can’t think of anything in the bottom end (failing or not) that would make that noise. Since you know it is the bottom end, why don’t you take it in IMMEDIATELY?!

Freon VX
12/29/2003, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately, I have the first 2 days of this week scheduled for work. Im going to try to get it in WED morn. Im sure being NYE, they'll rush right to it. THANK GOD I bought the extended warranty.