PDA

View Full Version : I need input on tires

carlymac
01/06/2004, 08:22 AM
I have searched around and have decided to go with a set of Bridgestone dueler A/T Revo's in 265/75/16. My questions are: have any of you guys tried them and will the size cause any problems on my '99 VX? ( I don't want to trim my cladding)
The comparison poll I read on tirerack.com put the revos above the geolanders on the categories that mattered to me...wear, ride and noise. Not to mention the OEM dueler's were pretty good to me ,48K and they still have a little tread and Bridgestone North America is based in Nashville. Please post your opinions I will be buying these tires in about two weeks and I take the advise of this board seriously...Thanks carl

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_ci2_s.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_ci1_s.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_ci3_s.jpg

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Info (http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02august/bridgestone_revo.asp)

Navigator
01/06/2004, 08:54 AM
...Ease all your concerns by getting the proper size or join forces with others who have done the exact same thing with minor modifications. the bottom line is if you don't want to mess with anything keep it stock.

carlymac
01/06/2004, 09:16 AM
I understand what your saying Navigator...
however I really only want to fill the wheel well gap and have a wider tire, Not a monster truck. What size would you recomend for this? maybe a 255/75/16??? or does it take the 265. I just want more tire than the 245 on 16's can provide. Thanks for your input.

migil
01/06/2004, 09:47 AM
I've been shopping for tires lately and even though I liked the Revos the moment I saw them I'm leaning towards some other tires. Don't get me wrong, Revos are the best tires you can get now; it's simply that they where a little beyond my budget, I don't do as much off-road as I'd want to, and after I saw them on a Xterra I didn't like that much the way they'd look on my VX (Or surely what I didn't like was the Xterra... ;) )

Now, webdog has 265/70/16 Revos on his VX and was pretty happy with them in Moab. He posted his impressions HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?postid=8061#post8061)

Please post some pictures once you have them on. I'd love to see what I missed.

carlymac
01/06/2004, 10:15 AM
migil, The hyperlink you posted takes me to a new thread page...However I did PM webdog for his take on the revo's. Did he show pics of the revo's on his VX at Moab?

Navigator
01/06/2004, 10:24 AM
... I run my VX pretty hard over rough streets, so I use the stock size, but I have found several VX'rs use the 265-70-16 size with no problem. :luck:

AnalogVX
01/06/2004, 11:03 AM
I have the Revos 265/70/16. I love them. Pretty much all pics in my gallery are the VX with the Revos. They are fantastic in snow and are Moab tested tough. $520 for 4 mounted and balanced.

carlymac
01/06/2004, 12:54 PM
AnalogVX,
I checked out your gallery and you ROCK!!! do the 265's rub at all while off road? How do they handle on road, noisey, gas mileage diffrence...etc

I also just realized how much bigger can you go and still use the doughnut spare to get you home?

migil
01/06/2004, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry, not that familiar with including hyperlinks here :o

This is the correct link (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?postid=8061#post8061)

joe-yamma
01/06/2004, 02:16 PM
I was between the Revo's and the BFG A/T KO's... I decided to go with the BFG in 255/75/16 and they fit no problem. I really like the BFGs and I got them because I really like the looks of them.

The Revo's look to be great tires (tirerack.com rates them tops in pretty much everything) and I was ready to get them, but changed my mind to the BFG's only because I love the BFG looks and I've always wanted a set of them. :D

Joe

VehiX
01/06/2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by joe-yamma
I was between the Revo's and the BFG A/T KO's... I decided to go with the BFG in 255/75/16 and they fit no problem. I really like the BFGs and I got them because I really like the looks of them.

The Revo's look to be great tires (tirerack.com rates them tops in pretty much everything) and I was ready to get them, but changed my mind to the BFG's only because I love the BFG looks and I've always wanted a set of them. :D

Joe

Do you have any pictures you can post or e-mail to me?

AnalogVX
01/06/2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by carlymac
AnalogVX,
I checked out your gallery and you ROCK!!! do the 265's rub at all while off road? How do they handle on road, noisey, gas mileage diffrence...etc

I also just realized how much bigger can you go and still use the doughnut spare to get you home?

Absolutely no rubbing and no trimming. I wanted the 265/75/16, but the Firestone rep would not install them if they were not listed as an optional replacement. I had to talk them into these. They're just covering their ***** I guess. But either way I love them. Road noise is no worse than the stock Bridgestones and for an all terrain tire they still take on/off ramps at 60 MPH. My only regret is that I got a passenger tire instead of a LT tire. They are still great off road but the LT tire rating would have gave a better sidewall while aired down. The ride is really good too on road, so I guess it's all give and take. Gas mileage is still at 15-17 MPG. These tires are just about an inch over stock larger so I may be able to hobble off the Interstate with with the donut, but I would not trust it much further than the nearest service station to park it and get a tire fixed. I do have a regular Bridgestone A/T for a full size trail spare mounted on a Trooper steel rim.

carlymac
01/07/2004, 06:53 AM
Well I stopped by my local Bridgestone dealer yesterday afternoon to see the Revo's first hand. The tread pattern looks awesome. In fact the owner of the dealership had a set of 265's on his Chevy Z71. They look even better mounted! during our conversation he mentioned his truck had 24k miles on it and I noticed the Revo's looked a bit worn for >24k. He said they are great tires but they do wear quicker than normal. This goes against everything else I've heard about the tires. He said Bridgestone gave him a set to run and He wasn't impressed with the milage. However, he said the traction was A-1. The only other negative comment he had was that due to the doubble core tread technology the Revos somtimes wear out of round. Now I'm questioning the longevity of the Revo's. I once owned a Taurus SHO and don't wan't to go back to the days of spending $500 every 18 months for tires.
To those of you who run Revo's...How are they wearing?
I still like the tire, just am a bit concerned about the life span.

joe-yamma
01/07/2004, 07:51 AM
VehiX, sorry no pics yet... I'll try to remember to snap a couple of quick pics this weekend.

AnalogVX, I had a problem with Sam's Club as they gave me a really hard time about installing my 255 BFG's... They're really starting to get anal about installing tires larger than stock.

I must say that the passenger vs LT tire is another reason I went with the BFG over the Revo.

Joe

migil
01/07/2004, 09:24 AM
carlymac,

That surprises me, considering the Revos have a treadwear rating of 500. I was pretty disappointed with the stock tire treadwear (<30K miles) but then again we're talking about original tires with 180 treadwear rating.

Mainly because of budget limitations I decided over the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T. Good looks, fairly good reviews at Tirerack.com, same treadwear, traction and temp. rating as Revos and WAY cheaper. They also have been longer in the market, so reviews were based on more mileage. On top of this, my very few off-road trips in Florida don't call for anything more aggressive :sighy2:

After reading about your findings on the Revos lifespan, I'm already felling better for the choice I made...

carlymac
01/07/2004, 12:05 PM
Yea I looked at the Dunlop Rovers but the mud in Tennessee is more clay than sand. I don't believe the tread is quite deep enough. So I'm looking at the Dueler A/T's. I'm kinna queer for Bridgestone's. just preference I guess. I still have over a week to hash this out. The geolanders look good but $$$...wheew!

To be honest I'm not sure the info on tirerack isn't just manufacturer propaganda. They all act like If there tires were around 40 million years ago...we'd still have dinosaurs today.
I'd still take the advise of you guys over the propaganda ads, or redneck tire barons of Tennessee any day>

ON WITH THE SEARCH......

mlepisto
01/07/2004, 12:57 PM
I've got the factory (a new set) Dueler H/T's on the VX i just bought, and I'm sold!

We're having a bit of snow (turning to ice & freezing rain) in Portland and they've been flawless. Great stopping & starting and good lateral grip even on this stuff.

I know you're looking for more of an open, mud tyre but if you're looking at brands, I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestones. I don't like most of their tyres, so coming from me this is a big compliment.

If you can find a Michelin in a size you want, they're always good too, other than they wear kind of fast.

Good Luck.
Mika

Dallas4u
01/07/2004, 02:18 PM
I'd like to put in a vote for the Yoko Geolander AT+II (which is the Geolander I think you were talking about earlier). I have had mine on (255/70/16) for around 2 years and absolutely LOVE THEM! I rarely lose traction in anything, including taking nice, tight corners in the rain.

I noticed you said the Geolanders were a $$$ problem... yet, they are cheaper than the Revo's you are looking at (unless you are talking about the Geolander M/T). The AT+II's have been an AWESOME tire, and at $93 for the size you are looking at (and something like $89 for the size I have), that is a great price.

carlymac
01/07/2004, 04:33 PM
dallas, my bad, your right, I thought everyone had the geolander M/T's.(approx.$145ea) The AT+II's are in the race. All I need to do now is find a local dealer. Shipping on tires is a $$$ issue for me. Thanks for the correction. Is it just me or do any of you guys have the same problem of web page after web page all running together in your heads...

Oh and dallas, How are your AT+II's wearing, noise, or any complaints...even as minor as that they throw tire dressing all over my cladding after a wash :mad:

I've always LOVED the tread pattern on the geolanders! ;Dr;

AK VX Lvr
01/07/2004, 04:50 PM
Here's my favorite---285X60R-18's is what I run in Alaska...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Sport+A%2FT&sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters
:dance:

Dallas4u
01/07/2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by carlymac
dallas, my bad, your right, I thought everyone had the geolander M/T's.(approx.$145ea) The AT+II's are in the race. All I need to do now is find a local dealer. Shipping on tires is a $$$ issue for me. Thanks for the correction. Is it just me or do any of you guys have the same problem of web page after web page all running together in your heads...

Oh and dallas, How are your AT+II's wearing, noise, or any complaints...even as minor as that they throw tire dressing all over my cladding after a wash :mad:

I've always LOVED the tread pattern on the geolanders! ;Dr;

They seem to me wearing pretty nicely. I'll probably be thinking of new tires in another year... that'll be around 3 - 3.5 years. No noise that I can notice at all... I mean, none more than stock, and I can't hear anything over the PV. Nope, doesn't throw tire dressing. In fact, I can't think of anything bad to say about them at all. I like the different tread design (more baja than all-terrain), and they really do handle great in all conditions.

migil
01/08/2004, 08:22 AM
Here's my favorite---285X60R-18's is what I run in Alaska...

That would probably be my choice if I had 18's...

AK VX Lvr
01/08/2004, 09:22 AM
I know the feeling...that's why I took off my 16s and found some 18s to put on...:yesr:

carlymac
01/08/2004, 11:32 AM
Found a local dealer that will mount and balance a set of 255/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T+II's on my VX for $446.79 tax and all.
Sound about right to you guys?

migil
01/08/2004, 11:35 AM
That's a great price. Only $40 more than I will pay for my Dunlop tires.

Dallas4u
01/08/2004, 12:14 PM
I was going to say I think I paid about $450 for the tires, shipped, balanced, and mounted. Not a bad deal for some great tires!!!

carlymac
01/13/2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all for your input...."ask and thou shall receive"
I have searched the web, talked to Bubba the tire guru and read miles of online tire reviews but after all that I decided to go with "family advise". I have selected the Yokohama Geolander A/T+II's in 255/70/16 to replace the OE tires on my beloved VX. They will be mounted saturday and I'll post pics shortly thereafter. Thanks again to all who helped me with this desision...carlymac

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_geo_at_plus.jpg

carlymac
01/25/2004, 01:24 PM
Well The Yokohama Geolander A/T+II's in 255/70/16 mounted on my VX.
Geolander Pics HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=26090#post26090)