PDA

View Full Version : front and rear axle's? specs?

coachreed
01/15/2004, 05:49 AM
I was just thinking about the future of my axles as the LS1 is going to put just a little more power down to them then the stock motor was. What axles are they? What are they rated at? Is there any kind of replacements that might hold up better? Please don't suggest the solid front axle conversion... thats not gonna happen with me anytime soon... right NOW I prefer the IFS... even if it has its weakness. Anyway... any info is gonna be helpful.

TTYL!

StinkBug
01/15/2004, 09:21 PM
Your rear is an isuzu 12 bolt, which should hold up, unless you plan on hittin stuff at full throttle, locked, with big tires. To give you an idea, i'm running 37s on mine with a 4.3 pushin about 220hp and i've been known to thrash on it pretty hard. Full throttle romps up rocky waterfalls on occasion, and no breakage to date.

The front is an isuzu 10 bolt, again if treated nicely it'll hold up ok, except for the CV shafts and tie rods. They are the weak links. If you plan on wheelin it hard, learn how to change CVs, cause there is no upgrade short of an SAS.

Under normal to moderate use you should be fine, just dont overdo it with the skinny pedal.

Dallas

coachreed
01/15/2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks Dallas for the reply. Thats kinda what I figured but thought I might ask anyway. I don't drive my vehicles very hard... not even during the string of LS1 powered Ram Air Trans Ams I had.... drove like grandpa! I don't really think I'll be trying to prove anything with the LS1 in this vehicle... I like to crawl SLOWLY over stuff... NOT FAST!

Thanks again!

Randy

Green Dragon
01/16/2004, 07:58 AM
You, probably don't drive like this grandpa but I had never broken a CV joint or a axle on my supercharged VX until I installed front locker. Broke Front axle & 2 CVs when rock crawling. There are actually two different Isuzu front axles. Some have said that Isuzu Corporate 10 bolt is equivilant to a Dana 44. Not So, I have two Jeep Trucks with Dana 44s and they are about 1 & 1/2 times the diameter of Isuzu 10 bolt axle.

This link is a possible solution to VX IFS problem

http://www.drivetechnologies.com/index.html

Till then please be careful, driving like this Grandpa may get you injured.

Bob

Triathlete
01/16/2004, 08:14 AM
Bob,
Do they make an application that will work on the VX? Have you tried them yet?

Green Dragon
01/16/2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Triathlete
Bob,
Do they make an application that will work on the VX? Have you tried them yet?

Haven't tried them as my axle broke right at spline in Diff & not at CV Joint or hub ( thus proposed shaft diameter limited to current spline count & diameter unless Diff gears & Hub changed).

Concerned, unless using all chrome Moly Axle or other really high strength shaft. New type Universal might just break at spline or U joints, thus nothing really accomplished.

Bob