PDA

View Full Version : High Idel problem

zadam123
01/16/2004, 03:05 PM
Lately every once in a while I have a high idle and even when i put it in gear it feels like the car wants to take off. When this happens i put it in nutral and im reving like 3500 RPM when a normal idel is just under 1000., any ideas what could cause this?

PS I tried the tap the gas routine and it still revs high and will go down eventually on its own.

adam

zadam123
01/16/2004, 04:51 PM
I have the calmini air filter. I have it for almost a year now.

adam

AlaskaVX
01/16/2004, 04:56 PM
I know this has came up before, if you do some searching on fluxuating idle or just idle you should come up with the answer. From what I remember I think you need to clean a senser in the intake? Not sure.... its on this site somewhere

Navigator
01/17/2004, 07:56 AM
Change it and see if the problem goes away.

zadam123
01/18/2004, 08:47 AM
would that porblem stay if the filter was dirty cause it only happens onece in a while?

adam

Tone
01/18/2004, 05:23 PM
Common problem with intake gaskets, idle control valve as well as the power steering pressure switch.

VehiCrazy
01/20/2004, 12:25 PM
Yep. Mine did the same thing for a while. Then the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and it ended up being the intake gaskets.

Randy
01/20/2004, 01:21 PM
Clean the inside of your throttle-body with a WD-40 soaked rag. You need to take off the air intake duct and unbolt the throttle-body (4 bolts) and also disconnect your throttle and cruise control cables. Then, just thoroughly wipe clean both interior surfaces of the unit along with the throttle intake flap. That is all there is to it!

Good Luck!

Dallas4u
01/21/2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
...I get out, open the gas lid, push that little vent hole, and then start it again and whoalllaaahhhh...it starts right up.

Spazz, my man... sometimes they just like it that way. ;)

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 03:55 PM
When you try to start it several times and it dies, go back to the tailpipe and take a good whiff. Does it smell like raw fuel or no fuel?

A new gas cap, filter + pcv would be cheap even if it didn't fix it. Can you swap caps with somebody temporarily?

Without trying to sound too erotic, I don't think fingering the hole is doing anything. At least not for the VX. :)

More likely the removing of the gas cap.

Another option when it doesn't start right off, might be to turn the key to on, not start. Get a rag and go under the hood and depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail, remembering that the fuel should be under pressure, 30- 40lbs. Does fuel come out?

When you say you have to hold the pedal down to get it to start, do you mean hold it at wide open throttle (clear flood) position or just hold it slightly more open than idle position?

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 04:21 PM
That's what I was thinking. No fuel. Now to figure out why . And why is it intermittant? Pump? Filter? Pres. regulator. Electrical? Fuel pump relay?? Put the rag over the schrader valve when you test it. The fuel will want to spray, if there's any pressure.

Tone , where are those fuel pressure gauge kits????????

Dylan19
01/22/2004, 04:56 PM
I had the high idle problem, as well as the dipping idle. I tried cleaning the MAF sensor, the Idle Air Control Valve, timing belt, valve timing (it was time 100,000 miles), etc. I finally threw a code for the idle air control system, replaced the valve and all has been well.

gregory46
01/23/2004, 05:09 PM
I have same problems like you guys.

I'll see a mechanic on Monday.

Let's see what he will talk about.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/24/2004, 12:33 AM
Why doesn't Isuzu re-design or revise the 5 piece (per side, if you count the brass rivets) intake gaskets with a plastic that wont crack, or even a one piece design?