PDA

View Full Version : tires and wheels

rocket man
01/21/2004, 12:48 AM
This is my first post..just trying to figure out the format..but I've been watching.. Here goes!!!!!!!!!

A few of you have posted reports on the "Nitto Grappler" 285X60X18..this seems like the thing for me any feedback on this??:cool: :cool:

Apostle
01/21/2004, 05:43 AM
try doing a search, upper left corner button, from what i have read, those cant be had anymore, not enough supply or something to that effect. could be totally wrong though

rocket man
01/21/2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks Apostle for the return call.

I think I've searched most the feedback on past threads on the subject and I did notice an (*) asterik in front of tire size on the Nitto website. What does that mean? Which of all the tire sizes posted that was the only one who had it. So you may be right about it being a discontinued size. I called Discount tire and they did say they were out of stock but they had a shipment scheduled for late January.

I guess what I really wanted to know is how the 11.5 inch section width of this tire faired with the stock 7 inch rim. I love this car but wish it was a stick.. also think the reduction gearing in compound low zings you down a really steep hill faster than conditions may warrant on occasion. The 31.5 inch wheel dia. won't help, I know, but Isuzu should have put that size on to begin with and adjusted the differencial gearing to compensate. The stock tire just looks swallowed up in that huge wheel well IMO.

coachreed
01/22/2004, 06:35 AM
Check my web page... link in the sig... I have the Terra Grappler 285/60-18's... and LOVE them... although, as soon as the Mud Grapplers release in second or third quarter of this year... I'm getting THOSE! ;Db; ;pb;

TTYL!

Hiss
01/22/2004, 07:34 AM
Last year the Terra grappler Chart on the Nitto web site showed the "asterik" meant the tire was "reinforced" :confused:

rocket man
01/25/2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks to Apostle, Coachreed and Hiss

Well I got the 285x60x18 Terra Grapplers Firday...Wow what a HUGE difference. Course I had 57,000 miles on the origianl skins. They were pretty gone by then. Yes... I trimmed that lower egde off the front part of the cladding with a jig saw.

I spoke with Nitto( pronounced "Neat o") in Cypress, Ca. (actually the tire is Mfg. by Toyo) because someone heard a rumor that this size may be discontinued. If that was going to be the case then I didn't want to buy a set then gash a side wall on one and not be able to replace/match it.

I was told that this size IS NOT going to be discontinued but that demand has just exceeded supply that they can get to the shops.

I then did a search on there website and called the closest one in my area. Viola! I took the last 4 at a local shop(paid $604, plus $21 for a road hazard warranty per tire,+tax.

These are quiet tires, they don't search the highway, in fact, the steering wheel seems rock steady. Maybe a little more sensitive to steering inputs but thats a plus.. IMO.

Looks like a Giant R/C Tonka Toy....but a much meaner looking Tonka Toy now.

Thanks again,

John