PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft

VXRaNgEr
01/30/2004, 08:31 PM
I stopped by the dealer today because when I brake hard and let up, sometimes I hear a "thud." Not a big deal but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious. The dealer spent 8 hours with my rig (no loaner for me) and then came back and said the driveshaft had "moved a little." WTF!? He also said that it was very common to this model and to the Ford Ranger. They offered to replace the driveshaft but said it would move again in 10k miles. What is this BULL*****?! Sounds like they don't know wtf they're talking about (probably because they're a Ford dealer) and they had to make something up.....

mrtew
01/30/2004, 09:14 PM
Everyone says that's normal. When you brake hard the tranny doesn't have time to shift all the way down to first gear before the transmission stops turning, so when you let off the brake that thud is just first gear engaging. You just wasted 8 hours listing to BS at your shop.

VXRaNgEr
01/31/2004, 10:46 AM
Yup, that's what I figured....Somebody is going to get punched in the head for this.

Nerfzooka
01/31/2004, 11:38 PM
How normal can it be? In 25 years of driving the VX is the first car to do it for me. Anyone else get the thud when they brake hard then let up?

Tonka
01/31/2004, 11:54 PM
I use to get it a lot, but now i have new transmission and haven't really noticed it. I'll try and listen for it. As for a good dealer in Denver VXRanger, go to Courtesy Isuzu on S. Broadway. They're awesome!

johnnyapollo
02/01/2004, 07:54 AM
I've felt/heard it. I thought it was the Interceptor at first, but the Interceptor only adjust pressure during upshift.

-- John

VXRaNgEr
02/01/2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks Tonka! I was actually down there looking at an RSX-S...Good to know they're reliable. They actually had a 2001 Ironman when I was there.

redline
02/01/2004, 03:19 PM
Did Isuzu make a 2001 IRONMAN?:confused:

Tonka
02/01/2004, 07:57 PM
I have been listening for it and i can't hear it. There is a small thud but no clunk like before. I would try changing the transmission fluid. It might be old and burnt. My VX started leaking transmission coolant (something like that) and turned my trans-fluid black! It started leaking again and i started having lots of transmission problems. Dealer replaced the whole tranny for free! Thank god for the warranty.

Yes, the ironmans are the white VX's. And that one on that lot i want parts off of. My VX is showing some wear and tear. I need to get a couple things.

On Your Left
02/03/2004, 06:22 AM
Glad to hear the "thud" is common - I guess I'm glad. I noticed the thud at times right away and wondered what it was.

Has anyone heard a humming from the back that speeds and slows with VX? I thought it was my worn tires, but its still there after getting new tires and an alignment. It may be normal for a VX, but thought I'd ask in case its the start of something serious. Rear diff or transfer case low on fluid? Wheel bearing? :confused:

JT

Bantan
02/03/2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by On Your Left
Glad to hear the "thud" is common - I guess I'm glad. I noticed the thud at times right away and wondered what it was.

Has anyone heard a humming from the back that speeds and slows with VX? :confused:
JT

Yes "Thud" is common especially when unexpected braking occurs.
Got the "Humming" sound when I first got my VX. Dealer could not find anything wrong.

Fix: Install Subwoofers;Db;

VXRaNgEr
02/03/2004, 08:16 AM
hahahah! good thinkin'

Dallas4u
02/03/2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Bantan
Got the "Humming" sound when I first got my VX. Dealer could not find anything wrong.

It means your VX likes you. ;)

Numba1goalie
08/10/2005, 01:46 AM
It is good to hear this is normal because this "thud" is very common for me too. My first educated guess would have been that the U-joints were going bad. :confused:

VehiX
08/11/2005, 06:28 AM
The thud happens to me and I also have the whine at lower speeds. I contibute this to fluids. I'm going to lube the driveshaft and change out the diff and axle fluids. We'll see what happens after this.

Raque Thomas
08/11/2005, 07:23 AM
As long as we're on noises, I have a few that I want to see if are "normal"
1) 60 - 70 mph with foot ON gas - whine from the rear end (I've heard of this problem before when letting off the gas, but not when giving it gas)
2) U-joint type thud or clunk after decelerating then giving it gas again - almost like tranny slips for a second (although I don't feel a "slip") and then engages - causing the U-joint clunk.
3) Driveline noise that sounds like tire noise at slow to moderate speeds. Thought it was tire noise (that's what it sounds like), but it goes away when I lwet off the gas.
4) Sitting at a stop, foot on brake - release the brake and hear a noise like pads were stuck to the rotors or something - it happens before I give it gas, so it's not driveline related.