PDA

View Full Version : Dash scratches

VXRaNgEr
02/01/2004, 08:07 PM
Any one have a good way for repairing scratches in the dash?

Bantan
02/02/2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by VXRaNgEr
Any one have a good way for repairing scratches in the dash?

I would be interested to know about this as well.

VX_PA
02/02/2004, 11:09 AM
Are you talking about the actual dash or the trim around the instrument panel??

For the actual dash:

Note: Do not sand the dash totally smooth unless you plan on painting it.

Depending on the depth of the scratch, use 550 or higher grit auto sand paper and rub the scratch out. Then use an orbital buffer with a foam pad to buff to a shine.

For the trim:
Again use sandpaper and then repaint (as the paint will be sanded off the trim).

Hope this helps?;)

carlymac
02/02/2004, 11:38 AM
When I had the CD changer replaced in my '99 the service monkey put the old cd changer on the dash while he installed the new one. When he cleaned up, he raked the the changer off the dash causing two sratches..gouges really. The service manager offered to replace the dash or have it repaired. Not wanting to deal with dash squeaks for the rest of my life I elected the repair. They called an outside company in to do the reair. The guy mixed a putty like epoxy and put it in the gouges after some time he then moulded the dash grain in the epoxy and allowed it to dry finally he wet sanded or buffed the epoxy to feather it into the surface. I cant see where the gouges were now the only ill effect I can notice is the dash is a bit shinier in the area he worked. which is only noticable when I need to reapply armorall. Check with dealers in your area and see who they use for such a service.

Anita
02/02/2004, 02:02 PM
I had luck with a scratch on the plastic by using a fine point dark gry/blk marker.