PDA

View Full Version : better all terrain tires w/out trimming

glock
02/10/2004, 06:21 PM
Hello, I know there have been numerous posts on tires that will fit 18 inch stock rims. All including the nitto grapplers required "trimming" can anyone provide me with a tire that is all terrain, simmiliar to bf goodrich all terrain TA . Just an all around tire that will get you through the snow and go off road and ride decent on dry pavement.. without any trimming thanks:confused:

Daver
02/10/2004, 06:37 PM
You really like those 18s, huh? I switched to 16s. You'll have so many more options....

I really like my BFGs, but they are a pretty heavy tire. If you drive on them daily, you may want lighter tires for gas mileage sake.

-Daver

AK VX Lvr
02/10/2004, 07:57 PM
I switched my 16s out for 18s and put these on:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Sport+A%2FT&sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters
Not really an all-terrain, but not a soley street tire either.
I got the 285x60R18s and required very minor trimming. They ride great and have good enough traction to get me around Alaska in the winter....
Maybe you should check them out??
:wtfr2:
Dave

glock
02/11/2004, 02:03 PM
thanks for the tips

curiosdv
02/11/2004, 07:37 PM
I too read a number of the tire postings. I wasn't thrilled when I got my VX a couple of months ago and it had a brand new set of BFG's on it. I considered a switch to 16's or snow's for winter and 16's for summer.
I had the winter problem of ABS always going off (more ice than usual this year). Long story short, tire guy suggested to have them siped. ABS has only gone off once in the last month and traction is much improved.
Inexpensive solution. $40.

drdavidr4u
02/12/2004, 07:54 PM
Not to sound stupid, but what exactly is "having your tires siped"?

J La
02/12/2004, 09:01 PM
Hey, something I know. I feel special! :D
Anyway, "sipe's" are the thin grooves in the treads of the tire. Which as you have more of them make them better for driving on wet pavement. They kind of act as fingers to grip the surface. As opposed the large grooves which make traction much better in snow, dirt and off-road terrain. So getting them siped means to have more of those thin grooves cut into the treads. If that makes any sense at all?! :confused:

WyrreJ
02/12/2004, 10:01 PM
It is also a relatively controversial modification. Many people believe that it weakens the tire's structural integrity, causing it wear out sooner.

mrtew
02/13/2004, 04:08 AM
I got my tires siped a couple of months ago too as they had become a slick as glass in the Detroit snow and ice storms. My 3 year old Yokohamas still have more than half the tread left after 40,000 miles and were really expensive and I couldn't find the Nitto Terragrapplers that I wanted for the winter so I decided to try the siping and I think it worked. Discount tires did it for $40 and I slip a LOT less. They say it makes the tires last longer and ride smoother as they are more flexible and thus don't heat up as much I guess. The only drawbacks that I see are your tires look a little funny as there are millions of little exacto cuts across the treads basically.... not like molded-in sipes at all, and the tires make an almost turbocharger like whistle now. But they're not too obvious or anything and sound kinda cool actually and if they keep me from crashing they're OK in my book!

transVXmen
02/13/2004, 10:51 AM
sipeing WORKS!!!....It's been proven numerous times in Colorado ( which by the way is where it was all started) I have it done on my 18 " Kumhos and I've driven in massive snow (ice and powder)up in the ski areas and very heavy rain near deep puddles going over 70 MPH down interstate 5 FWY....and it sticks like GLUE!!!