PDA

View Full Version : Wierd noise after 75 mph?? Help!!

melonque
02/10/2004, 10:51 PM
Hi, all VX lover,

After looking for it for a year, I finally got my VX yesterday!!! I am so happy. I paid $17,500 for a 01 proton yellow VX with 27000 miles. However....

I just found out that once I drive up to 75 mph, I start to hear noise kind of coming from the roof. The noise is like wind brushing thru something, not exactly whistle. The car has stock roof-rack, is it the wind turbulence that cause the noise transmitting thru the roof??

Any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks.

Melon

Anita
02/10/2004, 11:20 PM
That's the problem.. the roof rack is the cause. There are many here who have corrected the problem. Check out this thread.

Rack noise (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=420&highlight=roof+rack+noise)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

Another Socali owner! ;Dr;

Dallas4u
02/11/2004, 01:06 AM
Yes, welcome to the forum!

Oh, and if you want to get rid of that terrible, aweful, annoying noise... I'll be more than happy to take that rack off of your hands!

VX_PA
02/11/2004, 05:15 AM
Or you could try adding a fairing like this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3360

WormGod
02/11/2004, 07:50 AM
You shouldnt be driving that fast anyways!!!! :p

Ya, try the rack fairing. I recently equipped mine with the Yakima fairing and it's greatly improved. Good luck to ya and welcome aboard.

Bantan
02/11/2004, 08:25 AM
Ya, the Fairing thingee works, or you could do like I did and install Subwoofers;Dy;

Anita
02/11/2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I'll be more than happy to take that rack off of your hands!

Hey!! That's what I wanted to say but I didnt want to sound soooooo mercenary to a noobie. I want a whistling rack!! ;py;

melonque
02/11/2004, 09:52 AM
Wow, thanks, guys,
I think I will put a wind deflector on, instead of "donating" it. :)
I already thought of a little project for my VX:
1. Put a side step on
2. change the gauge
3. change the dash face to something metallic
Melon

Heraclid
02/11/2004, 05:57 PM
Haven't even thought about it lately, but mine whistled occasionally. The addition of BFG Mud Terrains pretty much fixed that, and the PV2 too. :-)

Tip: Using the Endurance Tire Gel on your rack keeps it looking nice and helps fight discoloration on the leading edges.