PDA

View Full Version : MONSTER BRAKES....question.

jayfotos
02/19/2004, 02:46 PM
I'm planning on getting the SC and down the road I would like to redo the breaks with a nice beefy upgrade!

Any suggestions or links to some nice set-ups?

Thanks- Jay

Dallas4u
02/19/2004, 04:00 PM
The brakes are already (I believe) incredible for a somewhat heavy truck. I am planning on buying and installing stainless steel brake lines, and others have done so with great results. Some have also installed slotted, drilled, slotted and drilled, and slotted and diamond slotted discs as well, and seem to love them.

Check THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3218&highlight=stainless+brake) thread (brake lines) and THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3199&highlight=stainless+brake) thread (rotors).

I really don't think the VX need larger pistons than it already has. It stops "on a dime" comparably, but some may want to do it to just do it...

Chopper
02/19/2004, 04:12 PM
Careful, radically changing piston size can affect your A.B.S. an' not in a good way.

Heraclid
02/19/2004, 04:30 PM
Yep - the VX borrows brake components from other Isuzu vehicles that weigh more than a VX, so they are already more than adequate. Which I had proven to me in no uncertain terms a while back with a squirrel crossing the road.

I read somewhere that it is one of the quickest-stopping vehicles on the road, which is impressive considering its weight. One review lists 60-0 stopping distance at 108.48 feet! To put this in context, my 95 Dodge Avenger, at about 3,000 lbs., stopped shorter than lighter vehicles it was compared against in one review. I believe these were the Ford Probe, Mazda MX-6, Ford Mustang V-6, and Chevrolet Camaro V-6. I'm almost certain that the Avenger number was 124 ft., and that was considered pretty darn good.

BTW, also found an online review that claims they got a 0-60 time of 7.7 sec out of their VehiCross. Pretty cool review - see it here: http://www.thecarplace.com/00Vehi.htm

Dallas4u
02/19/2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
BTW, also found an online review that claims they got a 0-60 time of 7.7 sec out of their VehiCross. Pretty cool review - see it here: http://www.thecarplace.com/00Vehi.htm

This quote is funny...

No rear visibility. Just none. That tailgate-mounted spare tire intrudes so severely that a car (or a child!) directly behind you is invisible through the rear window. Isuzu knows this is horrible. This will not be the first they've heard of this. There's a solution. Get the spare tire off the door and create a horizontal tire holder in the center of the rear bumper. Put the license tag holder on the tailgate. Done. Solved.

Heraclid
02/19/2004, 06:50 PM
It's an interesting idea in a way, if it could slide into the rear cladding and then the compartment be concealed. Kind of unrealistic, but interesting.

P.S. - Who knows with this braking thing. I found another review that says 182 ft. "at impending lock-up" for the VX. Radically different than 108 feet, eh? The 182 was based on a 70-0 time because Car & Driver likes to be different, I guess. But still... it's only 10 mph. Could an extra 10 mph take an extra 74 ft.?

AREA 51
02/20/2004, 08:34 AM
The first 10 mph might take a bit i.e., 70- 60 mph

Tone
02/20/2004, 03:33 PM
There is a formula to calculate how far a vehicle travels at X speed and it is farther than you would think so those numbers seem in line.

Having just put slightly better rotors on, I do not expect substantially better than stock as the cuts only help to dissipate heat during prolonged braking but should have little effect on regular use. braided lines, better shoes, dual piston calipers, and or/bigger rotors would be the only way to substantially improve overall braking on this heavy vehicle.

Chopper
02/20/2004, 05:09 PM
Holy cow kids____how fast you wanna stop? Because of my job, I get to drive all kinds of stuff. This one stops pretty quick! Slots are cool for rally or show, but they ain't doin' much for grocery gettin'. I don't beleive 182... it's much shorter than that.

Dallas4u
02/20/2004, 10:20 PM
I've seen 108 on a couple stat pages... I think it is the numbers Isuzu released. I believe them!!

Daver
02/23/2004, 05:56 PM
ISTR 123ft 60-0 per Isuzu specs. I might recall wrong, though.

-Daver