PDA

View Full Version : Rolling in Park?

AlaskaVX
02/24/2004, 12:36 PM
Well I parked my VX at my buddies house with a slope of only 15-20* and by the time I was done eating my lunch I went out and it had rolled down the hill about 6 feet. Then to test that theory I went to another buddies house with a steeper driveway and parked, nothing happened, then I gave it a push from the front and it rolled back about a 1/4- 1/2 a tire rotation. Then we retried it in the same spot just a little higher and we then couldn't make it move?!! Now I know there is no way in hell park should let me roll back as far as it did at my first buddies house (6ft). What should I look for? This would be my tranny right? I only have 4,000 miles left on warranty and want to figure this one out quickly. Oh ya, when I rolled back in park I could press on the brakes to make me stop. I had my brakes checked 2 days ago and they told me 50% wear on the rear and 10-20% in the front.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Daver
02/24/2004, 01:13 PM
Do you have manual locking hubs installed on the front? DO you use the parking brake?

-Daver

AlaskaVX
02/24/2004, 01:53 PM
No and hardley ever. But while in park the tires should not move (after rolling back the little bit of "slack") correct? I was parking on very slick ice and instead of sliding down the hill it would roll.

SGT.BATGUANO
02/24/2004, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a problem with the parking pawl in the trans.

Zu4two
02/24/2004, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you need to adjust the trans shift lever. Maybe the transmission isn't making it all the way into park. Do you ever have problems putting it into drive, where you shift it and upon applying the gas, it "jumps" into gear?

psychos2
02/24/2004, 09:24 PM
does it happen on a hill that is not slippery ? i have had it happen with the truck at work on slippery ice . if it does not do it on non slippery surface than it is normal. shawn

mrtew
02/25/2004, 05:15 PM
Why would you EVER turn your truck off without setting the parking brake. You're resting the entire weight of the vehicle on the transmission.

AlaskaVX
02/25/2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
Why would you EVER turn your truck off without setting the parking brake. You're resting the entire weight of the vehicle on the transmission.
Why you ask? Because its cold in Alaska and I have had the e-brake stick already. Also I am not always parking on an incline (that's when I use the parking brake). I also put it in neutral until it settles then put it into park as not to put pressure on the trans.

Zu4two, I have never had problems with it jumping into gear, but thanks for the suggestion.

pschos2, if it does it on ice wouldn't it be more likely to do it on pavement? It's not sliding its ROLLING (tires move)

SGT. Batguano, sounds logical to me. What would need to be done in order to fix this? New transmission or just new parking pawl?

WyrreJ
02/25/2004, 06:38 PM
Manual says to always engage the parking brake and then shift into park. I've heard people complain about their parking brakes freezing up (cars other than the VX) but I've never had that happen on any vehicle of mine. Not necessarily Alaska weather, but spent a few years in Illinois where I regularly froze a certain part of my body off.

psychos2
02/25/2004, 07:15 PM
because if you were to jack the rear of the car off the ground and turn one of the wheels ,the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction. if you try to turn them in the same direction they will not turn. so when you park on dry pavement the car will not move. if you park on ice it has the same effect as the jack and the wheels can turn in opposite directions causing the car to move. shawn

SGT.BATGUANO
02/25/2004, 09:43 PM
You would need to drop the pan at the very least, which means supporting the trans and dropping the crossmember. Next, you have to know what to look for. It could possibly be a simple matter of the PARK selection not fully engaging, but it could also be a broken pawl. Know of a good local trans shop?

Daver
02/29/2004, 05:42 AM
My parking brake froze a couple times this winter in the Boston area.

I still use it all the time, but I can see how it would be much more of a concern in Alaska.

-Daver